Appleby horse fair, anyone been?

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I know its a long way off but i'm thinking of going, has anyone been? Is it worth a trip? Wheres best to stay. Thought it's best i start to look into it now before places get booked up
laugh.gif

allijudd

Visit site
my aunt and uncle go every year and my oarents have aswell.....i would love to but its finding the time...

my aunt and uncle breed and race trotters so appleby is a good place for them to go....

lisaward

Visit site
i go every year and if you are thinking of going book up early as the same people book year after year,i'd also book out side appleby town as at night there can be trouble.

there are loads of horses and not usually much trouble in the day,just don't say you like anytrhing as they haunt you to buy thingS LOL

jumbyjack

Visit site
I used to go years ago, in those days it was a Romany Fair with bowtops parked all the way up the hill on each side of the road. The little girls would be dresed in amazingly fancy, frilly dresses and even tiny little boys wore suits and dealer boots and looked unbeliveably cute.

Went last a couple of year ago and now it's a mess, it's filthy dirty and there is unbeliveable cruelty, horses are trotted flat out endlessly up and down the hill, you will find horses so distressed and sweating so heavily they are in danger of collapse. It's not that long ago a traveller drove a trap into the river with a foal tethered behind and the foal drowned before anyone could help. You will find puppies illegally for sale and in awful condition, and horses with awful untreated injuries. Just about every male from 3 years up carries a stick and whacks any horse passing for no reason whatsoever.

The public toilets are taken over by huge numbers of travellers and become so dirty they are unusable. Don't go into any wooded areas as they too will have been used as a toilet and are seriously foul. Be careful of your safety in the trot area as when the horse are really moving, they cannot stop and the drivers will make no attempt to take evasive action event if they could at flat out trot. I saw a woman get hit in the back by a shaft, her own fault because the travellers shout as a horse is coming past but she stepped out under it and was thrown several feet, fortunately not under the horse but she had serious injuries! The RSPCA are in attendance but have a difficult job as the situations they have to deal with can be volotile.

I'm not for one minute saying all travellers and gipsys are bad people, they are not and a high percentage treat their animals with great sensitivity and keep them in excellent condition, some of the traditional coloured horses are really stunning and produced in show condition, with sparkling, flowing feathers and so clean they are almost blinding!

The other side of the coin is grim.

archoak

Visit site
There was a post after the last one about a horse who was so exhaused after being continually trotted up and down hill with a trap that it fell at the bottom, couldn't get up and was just left. When the vet came it had broken its pelvis and was pts. And to think hunting is banned! If no-one supported Appleby hopefully it would die out
mad.gif

allijudd

Visit site
we only ever hear about the bad things about appleby...my aunt and uncle have been going for about 10 years (since they started trotters) and would never dream of doing anything like that....but it is a place for the pacing industry to get together and decide on ehats happening not only that it is a good place for trotters to be bought and sold from reputable breeders...it is a small element that spoil for everyone....

but isnt that always the way!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Went last a couple of year ago and now it's a mess, it's filthy dirty and there is unbeliveable cruelty, horses are trotted flat out endlessly up and down the hill, you will find horses so distressed and sweating so heavily they are in danger of collapse. It's not that long ago a traveller drove a trap into the river with a foal tethered behind and the foal drowned before anyone could help. You will find puppies illegally for sale and in awful condition, and horses with awful untreated injuries. Just about every male from 3 years up carries a stick and whacks any horse passing for no reason whatsoever.

The public toilets are taken over by huge numbers of travellers and become so dirty they are unusable. Don't go into any wooded areas as they too will have been used as a toilet and are seriously foul. Be careful of your safety in the trot area as when the horse are really moving, they cannot stop and the drivers will make no attempt to take evasive action event if they could at flat out trot. I saw a woman get hit in the back by a shaft, her own fault because the travellers shout as a horse is coming past but she stepped out under it and was thrown several feet, fortunately not under the horse but she had serious injuries! The RSPCA are in attendance but have a difficult job as the situations they have to deal with can be volotile.

I'm not for one minute saying all travellers and gipsys are bad people, they are not and a high percentage treat their animals with great sensitivity and keep them in excellent condition, some of the traditional coloured horses are really stunning and produced in show condition, with sparkling, flowing feathers and so clean they are almost blinding!

The other side of the coin is grim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also went a few years ago and totally echo these comments.

Some nice things to see (loved watching all the kids swim their ponies in the river for example) but a lot of not to nice things to see- particularly if you go towards the end... remember wading through rubbish on the ground round the trade stands.