Appleby (I assume)

Clodagh

Visit site
And I know lots of people on here will say gipsys are lovely people who are sadly discriminated against - well this is why!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm not surprised in the slightest. There are some people there who care about their horses but the majority do not. This sort of stuff is common place and they see no wrong in it. I lived in a village populated with large amounts of settled travellers, horses tethered on any patch of ground all around us. Some of them were ok people, but 90% of them treated their horses unpleasantly. 10% of them kept them in a way which was adequate. In the "normal" horse owning population its not like that.

meleeka

Visit site
I know of a few people like this because my neighbour is a wannabe traveller. They really ought to be put down 😡. I did roll my eyes the other day when there was a fb post notifying of strangles in the area. Cue mass panic. I didn’t have the heart to report that the traveller and dealer who I think it is, has had horses with strangles many times before in the last few years. This person sells poor coloured cobs for a fair bit of money too, to other travellers with more money than sense, ditto dogs that are bred to be aggressive. They are truly vile people and I really can’t think of anything positive to say.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Cant see the vid and tbh I dont want to, Ill only spend the rest of today getting upset about it. The field behind my house is rented by the farmer who owns it, to a family of local horse dealers. They have a stallion and a group of mares and foals turned out in it. One of the family visits daily, if the river is so low they cant reach the water safely they bring huge bowsers, they bring enormous bales of hay and straw once the grass has gone and the foals are weaned and taken away before any unintended breeding takes place. They dont fuss and faff with them the way I do with mine, Im quite sure nothing ever sees a grooming kit and you never see a farrier although equally nothing is lame. On the whole the horses are adequately looked after and nothing is ever tethered in there, the fencing is sound. I have often stood at my fence and had a chat with one of the lads when they are checking or bringing new ponies over, I can and do waste hours watching the foals giving their mothers the run around. Whilst the level of care is far less than my own horse gets they all look in good condition and are a very content little group. The stallion is an absolutely stunning little chap but there is an older mare in there who is obviously the boss. I think maybe because the field is rented properly and is very close to a village there is never any bother and compared to many fields of coloured cobs, this lot get a reasonable deal. they are some of the luckier ones!

Clodagh

Visit site
Cant see the vid and tbh I dont want to, Ill only spend the rest of today getting upset about it. The field behind my house is rented by the farmer who owns it, to a family of local horse dealers. They have a stallion and a group of mares and foals turned out in it. One of the family visits daily, if the river is so low they cant reach the water safely they bring huge bowsers, they bring enormous bales of hay and straw once the grass has gone and the foals are weaned and taken away before any unintended breeding takes place. They dont fuss and faff with them the way I do with mine, Im quite sure nothing ever sees a grooming kit and you never see a farrier although equally nothing is lame. On the whole the horses are adequately looked after and nothing is ever tethered in there, the fencing is sound. I have often stood at my fence and had a chat with one of the lads when they are checking or bringing new ponies over, I can and do waste hours watching the foals giving their mothers the run around. Whilst the level of care is far less than my own horse gets they all look in good condition and are a very content little group. The stallion is an absolutely stunning little chap but there is an older mare in there who is obviously the boss. I think maybe because the field is rented properly and is very close to a village there is never any bother and compared to many fields of coloured cobs, this lot get a reasonable deal. they are some of the luckier ones!

I wish I hadn't watched it, and normally make an effort not to, but my new phone had it on autoplay. Wish I hadn't. I fully accept there are guys like your neighbours, sadly it is a testosterone led culture and the old ways are being superceded.