Appropriate contribution

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’m looking for some thoughts on what would be an appropriate weekly amount for the lady who looks after the horses at the yard that mine is temporarily on.

She looks after the owner’s horses (numbers vary as some go on hunting livery and new ones seem to arrive but generally between 6 and 11) and works at another yard up the road too so this is what she does for a living.

She likes to do them all at the same time so she might turn out, bring in, feed and muck out mine at the same time as she does the others if I’m not there.

I’m happy to do my own but my timing is usually earlier mornings / later evenings than she does and I am conscious that she prefers them all on her routine.

I do want to compensate her for her time; she’s incredibly helpful and very knowledgeable and I value that. I can’t say it’s inconvenient to come home from work to a happy, fed horse in a sparkly clean stable!

What does everyone think would be a fair amount to offer? Based near Oxford so living costs are quite high. Additional context that whilst I will be covering costs for my horse, I don’t pay anything for her to live there.

MissTyc

Visit site
Does she not have a set fee if she does this for a living?
I paid my groom £10/hour for regular/reliable hours and £15/hour for one-offs.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Does she not have a set rate? It's a bit odd if she works on yards for a living and has just started doing yours without consent/asking you for payment.

She’s paid by the owner of the property to look after their own horses but I’m conscious that my filly is extra work for her. My horse is there as the owner has invited me to keep her there until my new yard is ready.

She hasn’t asked for anything.

ETA, I also haven’t asked her to do anything with mine but appreciate that she doesn’t want to leave her out alone or leave her unfed if she feeds the others earlier than I can get there. My usual times are 5.30-6.30am and 6.30-7pm and she does 7, lunch time and then 5.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
You haven’t asked her to do this, tho? A lady on my yard turns out if asked but doesn’t charge and as she’s usually first, she tends to feed everything, otherwise there’d be a lot of kicking horses.

Maybe speak to the owner and ask her how much she thinks. Does she realise the filly is yours?

LaurenBay

Visit site
So, this lady works for your YO and is employed to look after YO's Horses. But she has taken it upon herself to do your Horses too, even though you have time to do them? If that is the case I wouldn't offer anything. If she is choosing to take on extra work that is up to her, but if you haven't asked her to do yours then you shouldn't have to pay. If you have asked her to do yours then ask her what her hourly rate is, work out how long it would be for your Horses and pay her

be positive

Visit site
She is probably paid a set salary by the YO so in theory any payment for livery would be due to the YO not the groom as she is paid for the job/ per hour not per horse, if the horses come and go I guess the rate remains the same so any money from you will be a bonus on top of her main income, you do not need her to do this so I would offer an amount you are comfortable with rather than what you would expect to pay if you did need it or had asked for it.
Your filly is not really extra work as her numbers are not static so may be lower at the moment anyway and she has made the choice to suit her not you.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d probably speak to the owner of the property who is presumably paying the groom by the hour, advise you appreciate the groom doing yours too in the routine but you are conscious this is on YO’s paid time.
I’d offer the YO a contribution towards the grooms wages.

Then maybe a present for the groom on top every now and again.

While the going rate for a freelance groom assistance is generally £10-12 a day a horse, I’m not convinced I’d want to pay that if I hadn’t specifically asked for the services!

Orangehorse

Visit site
How much is it worth to you to come home and know that your horse is looked after? Have a word with YO without committing yourself, but I think in your shoes it would be worth giving her some payment. £10 per hour seems to be the going rate.

TPO

Visit site
I’d probably speak to the owner of the property who is presumably paying the groom by the hour, advise you appreciate the groom doing yours too in the routine but you are conscious this is on YO’s paid time.
I’d offer the YO a contribution towards the grooms wages.

Then maybe a present for the groom on top every now and again.

While the going rate for a freelance groom assistance is generally £10-12 a day a horse, I’m not convinced I’d want to pay that if I hadn’t specifically asked for the services!

This

Do you want the groom to continue to do your horse? £10 a day isn't going to be long in adding up if this isn't a service that you want/need.

If you do want the groom to continue then I'd speak to YO and if she's currently paying for groom's hours (and groom is fitting your horse into the hours) then perhaps it is the YO that should be recompensed rather than paying the groom directly. If that isn't the case then speak to the groom and explain the situ ie you didn't realise this was the set up and agree a rate going forward. A standard freelance charge might be £10/12 if visiting a yard to specifically do one horse but if the groom is spending X hours then maybe the charge would be less as she can do the work in less than an hour/no travel costs etc

If you don't want the groom to continue then perhaps still speak to YO to see what the set up actually is then speak to the groom and thank them etc but that you are on a DIY. Perhaps even make a cheaper arrangement for her to bring your horse in with fresh hay/water if you don't get there until later and the others will be brought in?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thanks, everyone.

It is difficult because I would usually do my own horses, and it wouldn’t be something I’d specifically look for help with. The groom likes things done a certain way, and as we are effectively guests there, so I am happy to fit in with that.

That being said, I was originally going to have my horse out 24/7 and do morning and evening checks (she’s 3 so not planning to do more). The bringing in every night idea is new and is due to the needs of one of the other mares in her field who isn’t coping out 24/7.

I skip out every morning so that she doesn’t have a big job to do but she has told me she’d prefer me not to muck out myself. She doesn’t want her turned out ahead of the others, as it would cause a fuss- fair enough. She wouldn’t have her left out alone, and neither would I but have always been on yards where you’d bring in the last horse for people anyway.

She’s only being fed as the others are, and she doesn’t want to leave her out. She gets some chaff.

I don’t want to involve the family as they aren’t terribly horsey so the groom runs the place as her own- and she is very good at it, the yard is amazing and the horses look great. When I mentioned it they said some biscuits would do or maybe £10 here and there.

I know they pay a monthly sum but it seems to also involve horse purchasing, managing what is ridden and what isn’t etc. None of the horses at this yard are ridden, the family keep their ridden horses in livery elsewhere.

If I get to work from home once a week and do the weekends on her schedule, then she’d be turning her out/bringing her in/ feeding four days a week, and mucking out seven days.

Does £70 a week seem normal if she’s on site anyway, and the feeding etc is not my preference but hers?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have to say this all sounds very weird and controlling (by the groom). You want to look after your own horse, but she doesn't want you to because she doesn't like the way you muck out, amongst other things? It would do my head in.

Are you looking for somewhere else to keep your horse, in the meantime?

ihatework

Visit site
Thing is they aren’t a commercial yard so you kind of have to fit in with their way.

Groom is a control freak - leave them to get on with it (assuming you don’t mind the way they do it). I wouldn’t be going out of my way to be paying for services you don’t really need or want though!

You said this is temporary anyway, on leaving I’d just give a nice big voucher to the local Tackshop to the groom as a thank you.

Maybe there will be a time they need the day off and you can step in and do all the horses?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would keep it simple and keep her sweet I would give her £10 a day when she does yours it’s not for ever and you need to keep everyone sweet while you are there .

Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I have to say this all sounds very weird and controlling (by the groom). You want to look after your own horse, but she doesn't want you to because she doesn't like the way you muck out, amongst other things? It would do my head in.

Are you looking for somewhere else to keep your horse, in the meantime?

We’ve only been there four days, and it’s a temporary measure until my other yard is ready. It isn’t a livery yard, it’s someones private home where they’ve employed someone to take care of the whole equestrian side of things. It is stunning - lovely big school, very smart stables, beautiful big fields. The groom is probably more of a yard manager and has clearly kept it immaculate and really knows what she is doing. The owners of the property know me and have done me a favour in allowing my filly there but it’s very much been sprung on the groom who has had sole charge for probably fifteen years without anyone else around.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Thing is they aren’t a commercial yard so you kind of have to fit in with their way.

Groom is a control freak - leave them to get on with it (assuming you don’t mind the way they do it). I wouldn’t be going out of my way to be paying for services you don’t really need or want though!

You said this is temporary anyway, on leaving I’d just give a nice big voucher to the local Tackshop to the groom as a thank you.

Maybe there will be a time they need the day off and you can step in and do all the horses?

Groom is probably very good at her job and used to being able to do things her way without interference from the owners, and having a temporary lodger has messed up her system a bit!

It sounds like she prefers to take on the extra work because in the long run it is less hassle for her to do the OP's horse than to have her other horses' routines altered around it.

I'd think OP that as she has taken on the jobs and it is only temporary anyway, you go along with it and just give her a thank you pressie at the end. Unless your horse is being compromised in any way, it'll all work out in the wash eventually :)

joosie

Visit site
Groom is probably very good at her job and used to being able to do things her way without interference from the owners, and having a temporary lodger has messed up her system a bit!

It sounds like she prefers to take on the extra work because in the long run it is less hassle for her to do the OP's horse than to have her other horses' routines altered around it.

This, absolutely. I have been in this situation, running a yard of 15 full liveries plus 1 DIY whose owner didn't do things in a way or at times that fit in with my routine for all the others. When you're looking after a whole yard / large number of horses by yourself, organisation and time management are vital & having horses that don't fit into the routine can make things more difficult to organise and take longer. Having this one DIY was quite a big inconvenience and I would much rather have incorporated him into my routine but the owner wouldn't have it. This groom might seem "controlling" to some, but most good grooms have this to some degree and I see it as a sign that we genuinely care about our job!

Ultimately, as you have not asked for the help and do not need it, you shouldn't feel obliged to pay her anything. Remember freelance grooms set their own rates and your YO is already paying her for her work, so if she's happy to do a few extra bits and pieces without being asked, that's her prerogative. I would make sure to thank her for what she does though and yes I think the odd little present wouldn't go amiss!

paddy555

Visit site
I would keep it simple and keep her sweet I would give her £10 a day when she does yours it’s not for ever and you need to keep everyone sweet while you are there .

I think this would be the best way. Everyone is happy and OK it may not be what you want but if she is a good groom your horse is being well cared for. I would just look upon that you have a lovely place to keep your filly for a short while. You may even find she refuses if she is being paid by the owner in which case a really nice present at the end.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I used to pay another person on the yard £12 a day mon-fri including poo-picking. She was already there twice a day doing her own horses and just added mine in so similar to your scenario except I made a specific arrangement with her.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i wouldnt offer to pay as you havent asked her to do your horse.. i am a complete control freak so understand why she is wanting all horses in the same routine, i would buy her something when you leave, chocolates, wine , flowers or similar and also write something nice in a thankyou card....if you give her £10 a day it will soon mount up and its expense you havent allowed for....

Bellaboo18

Visit site
i wouldnt offer to pay as you havent asked her to do your horse.. i am a complete control freak so understand why she is wanting all horses in the same routine, i would buy her something when you leave, chocolates, wine , flowers or similar and also write something nice in a thankyou card....if you give her £10 a day it will soon mount up and its expense you havent allowed for....
I agree with this. I wouldn't pay her. You're there as a guest and she's treating your horse as one of the owners and it suits her. If you're happy with the situation i'd just make sure she knew I appreciated her help and give a gift when I left.
I know I wouldn't enjoy this setup, I like to do my own horses and I hated a 'diy' yard I was on where the owner insisted on doing all the horses herself so they were all on exactly the same routine (Turnout, bring in, feed and muck out). The only thing I do appreciate is never leaving my horse out alone.

honetpot

Visit site
The groom is employed by the YO and she is making your horse fit in with her existing work so it causes the least hassle and upset to the routine. As the yard is well run, and you are the guest I do not think that is unreasonable. I have a yard of 9 of my own, and I do them mostly on my own and routine keeps everything settled, so if you were with me yours would have to fit in to the herd, that would be the basis of them being there. The freelance groom I employ would not be expected to increase her work load, I pay her hourly, and if she told me livery was causing her hassle it would be gone. I would rather keep a good reliable worker who is good at their job, than a livery.
So you do not need to pay her, the contract is with the YO, but I would buy her a nice gift and think your self lucky.

9tails

Visit site
Why don't you offer to chuck some or all horses out if you're there before her in the morning? Or chuck breakfasts in. That might be appreciated. I wouldn't offer her cash.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ahh ok, so she has been there a long time and has her set up and routine the way she wants it and doesn't want to mess that up. I would let her get on with it, when you are ready to leave give her a thank you card, bottle of wine and some chocolates. I certainly wouldn't offer to pay. An extra £70 per week for services you don't need.

HLOEquestrian

Visit site
I agree if it's her preference to do yours within her routine then I would just let her get on with it assuming you're happy with the way she does things. Then just get her a present when you leave

AlDestoor

Visit site
I definitely wouldn't be paying her as you haven't asked her to do your horse, despite how nice it is.

I concur with the buying a small thank you gift when you leave but then I would hate being told how I should and should not look after my horse. If someone, (even a yard manager I was paying for full livery) told me to not muck out my horse, I would be like, its my horse?!

AandK

Visit site
I definitely wouldn't be paying her as you haven't asked her to do your horse, despite how nice it is.

I concur with the buying a small thank you gift when you leave but then I would hate being told how I should and should not look after my horse. If someone, (even a yard manager I was paying for full livery) told me to not muck out my horse, I would be like, its my horse?!

I have to agree with this. The feeding, turnout and bring in I can understand but the mucking out bit I don't get. But as it's temporary, I would suck it up and giver her a nice gift when I leave.