arab experts...

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
just landed myself a job at an arab stud...any pointers?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooo which one...no pointers sorry!

niashadow

Visit site
Lucky you, you must indulge me and name the stud.
smile.gif

Guinness

Visit site
yes and yes! ive had experience with youngsters before, not colts though. its basic yard duties plus handling foals and getting youngsters ready to sell-backing and schooling, a bit of hacking etc
to be honest i dont think i will have to do much with the stallion (there is only one) and the other girl that works there has been there a long time so much more experienced, although im very keen to learn!

custard

Visit site
They're very people orientated. Most like lots of attention, are sensitive and allegedly very intelligent although my mare had other ideas at times. They are quick to learn, good habits and bad!

They won't stand being duffed up needlessly, but I think some people fail to teach them any manners for that reason and are far too precious with them.

htobago

Visit site
Arabs vary in their temperament as much as any other breed, but I agree with custardsmum - they are generally very sensitive, very intelligent, very quick learners (my boy learnt all the transition commands in just 2 10-minute lunge sessions).
smile.gif

Being so quick and bright, they do tend to get bored easily. Once you have taught them something, don't ask them to repeat it over and over - they will generally find some way to make it more interesting for themselves, and it won't be what you want! (Like 'yes I know perfectly well you said trot in a circle, but I did that twice and I'm bored with it now so I think I'll spin round and round and then go sideways and then maybe see how fast I can gallop...')
smirk.gif

But they are usually very loving, gentle and affectionate, and great characters - very expressive and playful, great fun to be around. And easy to train, once you get used to their quick reactions and low boredom-threshhold.
smile.gif

Be careful, though - you might well fall in love with them and get addicted!
wink.gif