Arab yealing, rug problem

filly190

Visit site
My arab yearling needs a winter rug. However, she is tall, skinny and in length needs a 5.3", the chest is then too big and the belly straps just hang.

Anyone got a suggestion of what to do. I had a lightweight rain sheet for her 5.0" which she has just shredded tonight. The straps were that little bit too big and she got a leg inbetween them.

Need to go shopping urgently but dont know where to start to get her something suitable.

filly190

Visit site
I havent tried rug styles etc yet, the shops near to me will want you buy and take back. What I'm hoping for is someone to see the post that has had a similar problem and could perhaps suggest a make or rug that would be suited/worth trying.

This way, it would save an awful lot of back and forth. My area's tack shops are not near by and none of them are up to much for selection.

If anyone out there knows of a make that could be worth a try please post, it would help save an awful lot of time and money. I dont want to end up with credit notes for half the shops in my area.

mandy4727

Visit site
My pony is in a 5' 3" rug and cos he is so old he is very skinny so no muscle and no shoulders. He is okay at the moment with turnout rugs. But have noticed his stable rug has always slipped back during the night. I am going to put some darts. Quite large ones on either side of the neck about half way down so the neck isn't as wide. If you get my meaning.

niashadow

Visit site
Darts are a good idea and also belly straps can be folded over then stitched. I also had probs with my young Arabs but found that the darts and belly strap stitching done the job well.
smile.gif

louismacshoe

Visit site
Have just bought, a 5 foot Cuddly Pony Turnout rug, for my 5 month old Warmblood weanling and it fits perfectly. Have always had a similar problem to yours, with foal rugs, as the cross surcingles are alway far too long. Hope this helps.

sallyf

Visit site
Rhino pony rugs are fab for foals and yearlings not to deep and perfect round the front.
Also hold value well for resale later.