Arabs don't jump do they?

Rollin

Visit site
I have this conversation all the time with regard to my Shagya's. The French and Germans DO understand that Shagya's can do other than just endurance.

I found this photo on Lily Creek website (no longer active as the stud has been sold).

Look at this boy go.
Bahadur 16hh Shagya stallion. You need to scroll down the page.

http://shagyasport.blogspot.fr/

Hollycatt

Visit site
That is a great pic! Arabs certainly can jump. Does anyone remember Silent King the Horse and Pony magazine horse? He was a very successful jumping pony, and I remember lots of arabs and arab crosses in my days at pony club (obviously a long tine ago now).

I like the articles at Gestuet-haemelschenburg about the history of some of the bloodlines they use in the breeding of their trakehner horses. Here is one on Lapis who is part shagya. He is the sire of Burnus - who created one of the most important trakehner sire lines, producing outstanding eventers and show jumpers (not to mention dressage horses too!). Habicht and his son Sixtus have left a wonderful legacy and certainly had no end of jumping ability.
http://www.gestuet-haemelschenburg.de/html/e_lapis.html

Last edited:

nix123

Visit site
I had an arab called Penny about 12 years ago. Yes she was a right moody mare but by God could she jump!! 3'3/3'6' where nothing to her. Shame i was more into dressage though hence why I ended up selling her.

Rollin

Visit site
Hollycat I love the Lapis story and what nice photos. Thank you for posting. There are two articles on the Lily Creek website which I will post separately, one includes Lapis and names the Shagya's in the Trakehner stud book... I know this will interest Hurricane Lady.

Rollin

Visit site
Here is the article. A reprint from Midwest Sport Horse Journal, USA.

I learned from this website, that when Lily Creek founded their stud they imported foundation stock from Europe and only looked at three stallions. Tatianus, my boy's sire;Paris his dam sire and Nasrullah.

paulineh

Visit site
Carabineer was owned and trained by Kim Bradley . They were part of the only all Arab (Arab Knights) Team Chasing team.

Carabineer raced (winning 13 races out of 22starts as well as many places) he Hunted ,Show Jumped and Evented too. He died just a month short of his 34 birthday

Rollin

Visit site
Ihave just received an email from a friend in Washington DC whose grand daughter is a gold medal SJ in juniors. She knows the problems I have had finding a trainer for my youngster.

This is what she said " People who think you have to have a giant warmblood to compete in jumping events ought to look up "Teddy O'Connor", who won Olympic and WEG events for owner/trainer Karen O'Connor - a mainstay of team USA for nearly 20 years. Teddy was a 15 h. Arab cross who was sneeringly referred to in show circles as "that pony" until he got on course."

I will continue with my campaign to convince people that pure bred Shagyas are not just endurance horses and pure bred Cleveland Bays are not just carriage horses!!

RLS

Visit site
I am not confidant at jumping, which is why I only attempt absolute max 75cm showjumps, with my little arab. I'm sure HE is capable of a lot more.
one exception to that was a shot 'round a cross country training course. My friend persuaded me (with a completely straight face and full confidence in her voice) that the jumps were no more than 70cm. So, I gave it a shot, and horsey just loved it. Wasn't til after I'd finished that friend admitted to me the jumps on the second half of the course were infact about 90cm, the cheecky moo!
I know 70cm or 90cm probably makes no difference what so ever to the horse, but it makes a big difference to me and this little arab just carried me 'round with his ears pricked, saying "where's the next one?..." lol

rara007

Visit site
The dutch riding ponies and horses (NRPS) are all PBA, some with very high % (Mine is 70%) , and they're bred as all-round sports horses, lots of jumping ones on their website :) And of course Tamarillo was PBA. There's a girl on here with a pure bred called Tiger and he jumps very well!

fatpiggy

Visit site
I think the problem is that they do tend to jump rather differently to the other breeds, and that puts people off. I saw a 14hh arab pony clear a jump from trot, with the poles resting on the tops of the wings! The other problem is that they tend to be dizzy and opinionated and those aren't qualities you want in the jumping ring. The horse needs to go for the jump you are looking at, not the one elsewhere he or she has locked their radar onto!!

TheMule

Visit site
Ihave just received an email from a friend in Washington DC whose grand daughter is a gold medal SJ in juniors. She knows the problems I have had finding a trainer for my youngster.

This is what she said " People who think you have to have a giant warmblood to compete in jumping events ought to look up "Teddy O'Connor", who won Olympic and WEG events for owner/trainer Karen O'Connor - a mainstay of team USA for nearly 20 years. Teddy was a 15 h. Arab cross who was sneeringly referred to in show circles as "that pony" until he got on course."

I will continue with my campaign to convince people that pure bred Shagyas are not just endurance horses and pure bred Cleveland Bays are not just carriage horses!!

He was 1/8 arabian (and also 1/8 shetland pony) but mostly good solid TB lines

Orangehorse

Visit site
A arab horse held the world high jump record for a time. It was a while ago, probably pre-war, but still, proves they can.

H & H did a series some time ago about outstanding horses and it was quite interesting to note that many of these had some Arab in their pedigree, more than you would imagine.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Re: Arabs don't jump do they?

The truth of the matter, generally, is no, your right, they don't. It's not what they were bred to do, and neither were Clydesdales. That's taking nothing away from them, most bred-in-the-purple dressage horses would struggle to jump a stick. That's most, not all!

Alec.

p87

Visit site
My boy has a fantastic jump on him, he adores grid work of all things (knackers me!), and if we are schooling round jumps and go in line with an approach his ears prick up and he ups the pace, he really enjoys it.

I don't yet have any decent pictures of us jumping, I don't really have any jumping equipment except bins, cones etc and my 'poles' were the inner tubes from carpet rolls which my uncle (carpet fitter!) gave me, but the school flooded and they went all soggy! So we haven't had a jump in a while and we are both really missing it!

RLS

Visit site
I think the problem is that they do tend to jump rather differently to the other breeds, and that puts people off. I saw a 14hh arab pony clear a jump from trot, with the poles resting on the tops of the wings! The other problem is that they tend to be dizzy and opinionated and those aren't qualities you want in the jumping ring. The horse needs to go for the jump you are looking at, not the one elsewhere he or she has locked their radar onto!!

^^ generally agree with this.
My arab gelding's dam wouldn't showjump - she just didn't see the point, when there was obviously plenty of room to go around the jump! (which is much easier) If we came across a log/ tree fallen across the track out on a hack she'd pop over that, no bother at all, as she could see there was no other way 'round it. Her son is happy to jump, but it's a very bouncy jump and can ping you straight out of the saddle if you're not careful!

Rollin

Visit site
I love the sheer scale of generalization that goes on in posts like this!

The whole point of the thread.

I have just received some lovely video footage of my boy jumping with a note from the trainer saying they are very pleased with him.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
I think the problem is that they do tend to jump rather differently to the other breeds, and that puts people off. I saw a 14hh arab pony clear a jump from trot, with the poles resting on the tops of the wings

Heh heh, my first pony (Arab x Highland) did exactly that. Never looked like she was that fast in a jump off but we could turn on a sixpence and just launch. Fantastic jumping pony.

Rollin

Visit site
Ha Ha. Not just Arabs you know.

The Cleveland mare who is foal to this guy, cleared a metal five bar gate at least 1.2metre at a trot!! She was an unbacked 3 yo sold to make 15.1hh - very small for a Cleveland. She does have Lord Fairfax on both sides of her pedigree though and he sired two Olympic Show jumpers.