Are all YO's mad ?

zandp

Visit site
Had to leave my last yard as the YO (unhorsey) thought that he could turn one horse out one night, who'd been left in in her Thermatex as she was hot after riding. He then decided that, when I was on the yard - actually gone back to barn to get headcollars - that chasing 2 youngster (1 mine) and 1 older horse (mine) waving a hi viz waistcoat about was a good way to get them back into the field. Cue 3 very stressed horses. He also used to shout at me for not poo picking when the ground and poo was frozen. Anyway left there and went back to a yard I'd been on before, better the devil you know and all that.

However a friend's helping me reback my youngster and YO is demanding I pay her £6 for lessons, friend isn't giving me a lesson. I've spoken to the YO every day for 3 weeks about this, saying, as per yard's rules I'll pay for him riding her but I'm not paying for a lesson. Each time she agrees to this and then each day I go down to another sarcastic / rude and mostly illegible/illiterate note. Latest one said that if people were making money in her school she was having a cut.

Now I have previously paid money when getting outside instructors in at other yards where they had instructors based there and understand the logic of that - but she doesn't give lessons any more, doesn't offer a rebacking service and both schools are **** in quality flooring wise.

Why can't I find a yard near me where I can decide who rides my horse(s) ? Where they understand that poor grazing is actually quite good healthwise; that horses don't need to have cow quality grass ? And that mixing up herds causes problems - her latest note to us all said that we could go to 24/7 turnout but all mares had to be in one field and all geldings in another - we're currently in 3 separate herds. It took 3 of us over a week taking turns suggesting to her that mixing 3 herds up into 2 was going to cause problems and that perhaps we could move as herds ? And this move is for 2 weeks as we're back in our original fields by the end of the month. And that topping, harrowing and resting is normally done when there are no horses in the field - what's the point of topping, harrowing, having the field grazed for a month and then resting it ? And that lighting bonfires in the middle of the field - including burning pallets / other things containing metal isn't perhaps the best idea ? And that you're meant to have some sort of ragwort removal programme ?

God I need a new yard....

black_horse

Visit site
well if you leave your horse in the care of someone unhorsey what do you expect?

my YO is a lovely and a delightful woman, as is the YM and the rest of the liveries, i am very proud to be there and love every second of being there. YO's and YM's have a lot of hard work to fit into their busy schedules, if you dont like your yard then move, but dont expect a non horsey person to give the same amount of care as a horsey one.

BayJosie

Visit site
I've not known any yard owners that aren't complete maniacs - I think all horsey people are a bit! y'know, in a nice way!

But, get off that yard at once I say!

ThePony

Visit site
p.s. I don't think your yo being unhorsey is reason enough to be such a bad yo. A yo with a basic level of common sense would avoid all your problems!

skint1

Visit site
I think sometimes with YOs it is finding one that is the right sort of bonkers for you. Our current YO is the right sort of bonkers for us thankfully.

Our last YO had a generous spirit but was also really controlling and changeable, so one day she'd be offering the earth to help you but the next you were a selfish user for taking the earth off her for nothing in return. Rules changed without notice and were never written down and were applied differently depending on whether you were in or out of favour. She used to proudly state that she wouldn't tolerate bitchiness on her yard, I could never work out whether she was totally oblivious to herself or had a really well developed sense of irony.

You could always tell who was out of favour with her because suddenly they couldn't handle their horse, or other's horses (liveries often shared care) they couldn't ride, didn't do their share of the yard chores, never came down to check on their horse (they were probably avoiding the frosty shoulder from her and her minions thats what we did in the end) oh and usually they were ruining the perfect harmony at the yard for everyone else and no one wanted them there. That's what she said to us about others, and it didn't matter if you felt totally neutral about the culprit either, her truth was the truth, it was like Ingsoc.

In the end, she said all those things about us and more and though she never outright threw us off she did make it very uncomfortable for us there.

I never realised how angry and stressed it made me until we moved to our new yard. The guy is a forthright old fashioned horseman, he generally keeps out of the bitching and if you don't take his every utterance as gospel he may tell you you're a fool but you'll never get the cold shoulder from him either.

zandp

Visit site
Current YO is horsey, used to event years ago and is well known in the area. In some things she's great but it's the constant money grabbing over welfare that's depressing. And the constant interfering, like negotiating with her for my sharer to be able to ride the horse she shares. And she changes like the wind, if you're in favour you're great, if you're not you get a succession of ruder and ruder notes.

I left the old yard as soon as I realised that my RI didn't actually manage the yard like she'd told me, that in fact the YO had the final say. She'd got me to her yard describing it as her yard. I was totally caught inbetween them bitching about each other and left very quickly.

I have been on yards with my type of mad YO, and been very happy, just rather frustated atm. I have also been on yards with madder YO's and have been relieved to leave them too.

I don't want much, herd/small group turnout, decentish hacking, a riding area (note don't even need a school, fields are fine) and a yard and turnout that's looked after but can't seem to find it. Have driven around the area for the last 3 weekends finding likely looking yards and ringing them but have had no success.

zandp

Visit site
well if you leave your horse in the care of someone unhorsey what do you expect?

my YO is a lovely and a delightful woman, as is the YM and the rest of the liveries, i am very proud to be there and love every second of being there. YO's and YM's have a lot of hard work to fit into their busy schedules, if you dont like your yard then move, but dont expect a non horsey person to give the same amount of care as a horsey one.

Actually no-one's forced them to be YO or YM so how busy their schedule is shouldn't affect the care / attention given.