Are breaking/training techniques different in other parts of the world?

Phoebe1

Visit site
Just looking at traditional ways of training in the UK and comparing to other parts of the world. Does anyone know how the breaking and training of horses differs or compares to other parts of the world? In the UK I am getting the impression that racehorses for example would be broken sooner than say an event horse although the way they are trained at the start will be similar?
Any comments views welcome please!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, of course they are! There are even different methods used in the UK, different from the "BHS" standard way that is. Just think of western, natural horsemanship (these are not the same, BTW), racing, driving, and practically any other country you can think of will have their own "standard" way of doing this. My main experiences are of Ireland, UK, America, Spain and Portugal.

Phoebe1

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yes I know that western riding is different in style but I don't know how they begin breaking in and I don't know where I can get information on breaking in/training in different parts of the world. I mean do they all start with, biting, free lunging, long reining, puting weight then riding? I have read the Monty Roberts book and seen his demo and the old fashioned method in America of 'sacking out' sounds awful but I wonder if it is still used there. Or how they go about it in Spain or Portugal and how is it different to the English way?