ARE BUTTERCUPS MORE PALATABLE WHEN WEEDKILLED?

loveacob

Visit site
Our livery owner wants to kill the buttercups in some of our fields but is not sure if they will be eaten by the horses when dying. Does anyone know if they are palatable to horses, the same as ragwort once weedkiller has done it's job?
confused.gif
Thanx

kibob

Visit site

I believe that buttercups, unlike ragwort, are ok to be eaten when dry (there is a post in NL by BlackBaby entitled "any ideas? inc pics" in which Cazee34 has given a very imformative response re: buttercups).

However, horses should be removed from the field when weedkiller has been applied. The period of time depends on which weedkiller has been used but the "lay-off" period should be stated on the label.

collie

Visit site
Just sprayed my paddocks with agroxone which is pretty much specially for creeping buttercup. Horses should be removed from paddocks for at least a minimum of two weeks which can be more depending on which steriod chemical and the strength you are using. It should be safe for the horses to eat the dead buttercups after this period, however i think they are unlikely to as they will have pretty much died back.