Are Corns always a sign of poor shoeing ?

ITPersonnage

Visit site
As title really, is there any excuse for a reasonably fit TB doing some (but not excessive amounts) of roadwork to get corns repeatedly - is the shoeing always to blame ?

Angelbones

Visit site
Generally yes, but can be from small stones etc stuck under shoes. Corns are bruising really, so it may be that your horse has thin soles which could make him more prone? I have recently taken on a fit 5yr old racer who has corns on both front feet - his are down to bad shoeing. I found this article helpful:

http://www.horsemanmagazine.com/2008/09/horse-corns-common-hoof-problems/

LucyPriory

Visit site
Poor hoof care generally. Often shoe is put on over overlaid bar and the pressure can cause a corn. But have also seen in a poorly trimmed tin can barefoot. Again the bar had become overlaid.

Two illustrations of corns the first from shoeing the second from poor trimming.

http://danceswithgrace.blogspot.com/2009/09/blog-post.html - Click on the second picture and look at left hand seat of corn

This horse has never suffered corns (or much in the way of bruising either) since going bare

http://barefoothorseblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/equine-corns.html This horse tends to grow a tin can foot and had a massive corn the first time I saw them, but hasn't had a corn (so far) since this one was resolved.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have heard of a horse that had corns which were puzzling the farrier, the horse wasn't sound so the owner had an X ray and there was an internal bone spur which was causing the bruise from the inside, not from pressure outside. Not sure what the outcome was.

Tnavas

Visit site
I think it would be unfair to blame corns on the farrier, they are usually found when shoes have been left on too long and the wall at the heels has grown over the edge of the shoe so that the shoe no longer has a base of support.

Persistant corns though are often hard to get rid of as the bruising has become deep.

We had a problem horse in the riding school when I first took it over, I brought in a new farrier who widened the heels of the shoes so that they covered more area, he also removed some of the ground surface of the shoe at the heel so that the heel of the shoe didn't quit touch the ground. This took some loading off the corns to give them a chance to heal. It took only about four shoeings for the horse to come right and the corns gone.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It isn't always the owner. My eventer was prone to corns and we used a farrier practice where you didn't know which one was going to turn up. When he was shod by the old guy he didn't get corns, but he did if shod by one of the younger farriers.

Also I always have my current horse shod at a maximum of 6 week intervals and at one time my horse had corns in 3 out of 4 feet! I had his shoes taken off to rest his feet then.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, as ever, interesting.

My mare has been shod for the last 4/5 years by a very well respected farrier practice but this spring had corns in both fronts, so she had a month off in the field and has been sound since. (Like another poster, sometimes sent less experienced farriers, other times the main farrier, you never know)

Now she is lame again in both front feet and has had full work up at vets (nerve blocks, X-Rays no MRI yet) who have found some changes in navicular bones but also said her shoeing was poor & the balance of her feet required remedial shoeing.

Farriers are blaming poor confirmation and navicular changes. I don't know which to believe, suspect as usual it's an unlucky mixture. Anyway, she has now had bar shoes fitted by original farrier and we will see what happens.

Shoud say she was shod whenever she needed it, never more than 4 week intervals sometimes less and occasionally 2.5 weeks ! Was wearing back shoes very quickly even though I had cut down road work since corns and was never excessive.

Andalucian

Visit site
I think your opening question shows that you are already questioning your horse's foot care. Repeated corns, and in pairs of feet indicates there is something wrong. Now you're hearing there are changes to the navicular area, so I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion on your horse's foot balance and general state of health before you are encouraged to start on the remedial shoeing route.

Keep questioning everything, using your logic, and you'll find the right solution for your horse.

Good luck.

K27

Visit site
Yes I think so- I think a lot of corns are caused by shoes that are shod too short at the heels. I think the best thing a shod horse can have is plenty of width and length at the heels. A lot of Farriers may be reluctant to do this because of the risk of shoes being pulled off, but I would prefer the shoe to be pulled off than a horse to keep getting Corns.
Corns can get really bad when they go from dry to wet sappurating corns.

Oberon

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your horse. Don't blame yourself. I would personally get a UKNHCP trimmer out or any trimmer with a really good reputation and get those shoes off.

Corns, lameness and now navicular changes - the feet are crying out for taking them off. Do a search on here for navicular posts and see how many have successfully barefooted. Read Rockley Farm's blog.

Your horse can come sound really fast with the right support and it sounds like your farrier isn't going to be able to help you on this one.

Please don't be offended by my post. I truely believe taking the shoes off would be the best thing. And no - your vet and farrier probably won't agree. That's the frustrating thing!

Oberon

Visit site
Ps if she has excessive wear to her back shoes, any decent trimmer would also advise a visit from your 'back person' for a check over.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Thanks Oberon, not offended, I know you have her best interests at heart.

I have the insurance/vet thing started up now and as she's just had the bar shoes put on I feel I have no choice but to do what they have agreed (vet /farrier) is "the best thing" and see how she goes on restricted exercise for 6 weeks, if I don't I will probably have trouble with the insurance claim.

Obviously I have read the Rockley Farm stuff with interest, I have realised there are options but the whole insurance/vet/farrier thing is the way we are channelled.

Also the back thing - yes we are working with physio to strengthen back muscles & improve top line, was going well before lameness stopped us in tracks.

Bertthefrog

Visit site
Years ago I had a gelding on the yard who suffered persistent corns on one side of one heel - it turned out he had sidebone on that side of his foot, the boney changes were responsible for the bruising.

If I remember correctly he was shod with a threequarter shoe from then on and was fine. Not something they would do now due to foot balance issues - but it did the trick for him!

2Conker

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your horse. Don't blame yourself. I would personally get a UKNHCP trimmer out or any trimmer with a really good reputation and get those shoes off.

Corns, lameness and now navicular changes - the feet are crying out for taking them off. Do a search on here for navicular posts and see how many have successfully barefooted. Read Rockley Farm's blog.

Your horse can come sound really fast with the right support and it sounds like your farrier isn't going to be able to help you on this one.

Please don't be offended by my post. I truely believe taking the shoes off would be the best thing. And no - your vet and farrier probably won't agree. That's the frustrating thing!

Agree with Oberon here; had a horse with early navicular, who was just begining working life. Took the shoes off, turned out with feet trimmed by remedial farrier. Was seen regularly, to keep the feet balanced correctly, so relieveing the pressure on the bone. After nearly a year, back into work and is still being ridden 8 years later. The key is the best farrier.

Andalucian

Visit site
I have the insurance/vet thing started up now and as she's just had the bar shoes put on I feel I have no choice but to do what they have agreed (vet /farrier) is "the best thing" and see how she goes on restricted exercise for 6 weeks, if I don't I will probably have trouble with the insurance claim.
As predicted, the old bar shoe favourite is suggested. With valid experience behind me I have to point out that you DO have a choice, its your horse not theirs, its you who will have to deal with the deterioration in your horse's health and the heartache that brings.

Ask these questions:-

1. What will the bar shoe CURE??? Not what pain will it relieve temporarily.
2. How did the corns happen, if it was connected to the shoes, why would shoes which apply even more pressure help?
3. What is the angle of your horse's pedal bones? Are they ground parallel, or negative palmar angle? If yes, this is critical and needs addressing by trim adjustment and not by adding pads to the bar shoes.
4. What percentage of horses they have treated with this method have returned to a fully sound long working life?
5. How long do they predict the bar shoes will need to be applied, and after these, what do they expect to prescribe?

That should be enough to get them sweating, and they should, because they don't know many of these answers because they don't understand the underlying cause of what they're dealing with.

Sorry to come on so strong, I've lost a horse following the route your commencing and I don't want anyone else to do the same. I'm not going to preach to you what you should do, but I'm arming you with the questions to ask to get you, your vet, your farrier thinking outside the box, which is where the answer is.

Take control now, its your horse, insurance paying for the treatment isn't as important as getting your horse truely sound.