Are dressage saddles easier to ride in?

maggiestar

Visit site
I had a lesson today on a lovely horse who wears a dressage saddle and everything seemed so much easier! It felt as if I had more contact with the horse's sides and he was so responsive. It was the first time I'd ridden him so not sure if it was the saddle or the horse that made me look like a better rider today, lol! What do people think about dressage saddles?

Squiggles on Paper

Visit site
A dressage saddle will put you in a better position usually so that could be why you preferred it ;) Personally, I prefer my jumping saddle to my dressage but the reasons to that are a) I prefer jumping :p and b) I like to have short stirrups :rolleyes: But yes, for flatwork I would say they are easier - I could certainly see the difference in my riding when I part ex'd my GP for my DR :)

maggiestar

Visit site
Yes, somehow it helps draw your legs down :) I even had my stirrups a bit longer today as it just felt right. When I get my own horse it will be dressage saddles all the way!

catkin

Visit site
The right dressage saddle can be lovely to ride in as you have found out - the wrong one for your physique is the most excruciating thing in the world!!

Sounds like you could sit well in the saddle you rode in today, and the horse showed you that by responding like he did.

Maybe make a mental note of what make/model it was, and what features it had ie: deep seat or not, big or small blocks as it's always useful to build up an idea of what suits you for when you need to change saddles.

maggiestar

Visit site
It was very flat with tiny knee rolls. My knees were quite far back from them though and seemed to go straight down which was good. Not sure what make it was but I will find out! Out of interest how do dressage saddles differ?

Tnavas

Visit site
Yes for flat work it will place you well and most dressage saddles are very supportive.

In the same way a jumping saddle will make you feel a lot more secure than jumping in a dressage saddle.

I personally love my GP - it is good to ride in for dressage and also for jumping

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I prefer my GP saddle even though I've had a number of dressage saddles and even a made to measure. I've got better scores in my GP even up to ele. I've found dressage saddles mean that I end up reaching for my stirrups and becoming unbalanced and my knee goes over the roll if I try to ride a bit shorter. I think they can be overrated and a lot of people ride too long and are unbalanced and would be better in a GP.

I blame my chunky inner thighs that make it hard to have a long elegant leg but I'm sure someone will say I need to get a deeper seat :)

catkin

Visit site
It was very flat with tiny knee rolls. My knees were quite far back from them though and seemed to go straight down which was good. Not sure what make it was but I will find out! Out of interest how do dressage saddles differ?

I hope one of the saddlers on here will come along and give you a proper explanation but here's my attempt as an interested amateur:
taking the fact that the saddle has been fitted for the horse as a given - a saddle that 'fits' the rider should make it feel effortless to keep a good seat, give aids etc which means that it is balanced for you on that particular horse - it's all to do with the design of the seat, the flaps, the stirrup bar placement and their relationship to each other ,and it's very very personal to each rider as we all have different conformation just like the horses.

Have a nosey at pictures on some of the saddle makers sites - some saddles will be very flat-seated (open-seated) others will have high cantles and big blocks. There is no right or wrong - just what suits you. I like open-seated saddles, a good friend of mine (who looks to have a very similar build to me) likes the opposite - neither of us can ride comfortably in the other's saddles!

It's actually the same for all types of saddle, they need to be balanced for the rider - it's just that you perhaps notice it more in a dressage saddle because of the precision of the movements you are doing in dressage schooling.

scribble

Visit site
I ahve certainly found this when i swapped my Gp wintec to a WOW giant high block dressage earlier this year. all those movements and they way pros ride on thier dressage horses were suddenly achievable for me on my big moving WB. however they do need to fit you and the horse. My horse has just muscled up over the last 3 weeks as workload has upped and my saddle was then too narrow. during this time it was the most uncomfotable thing to ride in. had it refitted today and now back to how it should be.

Megibo

Visit site
I love my GP saddles, but have ridden in bosses expensive dressage saddle a few times and it seems to automatically put me in the shoulder-hip-heel and improve my riding x 10!! :p
If I can ever afford it I'll get myself a dressage saddle for my own horse :)