are expensive bits better?

katylee

Visit site
as the post says really. i was looking at getting a new bit and the difference between a normal one say £10 and something like and aurigan one is huge! they seem to start at £70
are these more expensive ones really any better?

kerilli

Visit site
depends on the horse... some don't mind the taste of stainless steel, some hate it.
depends on the style of bit too... cheap single-joint snaffles tend to be very asymmetric if you hold them up by the joint... not good at all.

Twilight

Visit site
I tried a slightly more expensive comfort snaffle on t and he was horrid in it, haven't tried the myler for a while but it was not his prefered option. At the moment I find the bit he likes best and is most relaxed in is the nasty assymetric £6.95 bradoon snaffle I have. Horses for courses etc...

barrymeningen

Visit site
The question you shoud ask yourself is; is a bit that costs 7 times as much 7 times as affective? In my expereience there is very little that you can do with an expensive bit that you cannot do with a cheaper bit as long as it is of good quality.

Weezy

Visit site
Hmm let me thing... I have a £80+ Myler, various Sprenger KKs, NS bits and what do I ride my mare in and what does she go best in...

a £7 Korsteel loose ring french link!

Bert&Maud

Visit site
I too went down the KK and NS bit catalogue, and eventually found that he went best in a french link JP that cost about £9! I've now learned to start with the simplest, and give it time!

kerilli

Visit site
my new mare's very sensitive and is in a myler comfort snaffle full cheek at the moment, and loving it. i tried her in a few of my other bits (incl my absolute fave single-joint full-cheek) and she didn't like them at all... the nutcracker action is waay too much for her. the difference is quite amazing, and i know that it is an absolutely symmetrical bit, with very limited movement, which really helps her learning to trust the hand.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
not necessarily! you only have to go back 10-15 years or so when all these fancy mouthpieces and materials either didnt exist or were not commonly available on the marketplace apart from custom made jobs and to be honest.....horses still performed to the same standard as they did before all the new fancy tings were brought out!

tabithakat64

Visit site
I think the JP bits are great, they are the only thing my little rescue mare is happy with, she is quite hard to bit as she is very sensitive to poll action, the corners of her mouth are fleshy and she has a missing tooth on one side that had to be removed as she had been kicked in the mouth and it twisted causing ulcers.
My other horse is in a NS full cheek bit but I'm considering changing to a KK after reading posts about NS bits breaking.

dieseldog

Visit site
For my horse yes
mad.gif
When I got her she was in a cheap £14 three ring gag. She much prefers the £125 Myler Combination Bit. But luckily I stole it off my sister who is never getting it back
grin.gif