Are goats really good companions?

gangle

New User
Visit site
My 16.2hh hannovarian has been all on his own at my house for the past 4 weeks, since the pony who stabled with us was sold. I worry he is lonely. I was thinking about maybe getting a goat as my husband would never agree to a pony. I don't know anything about keeping goats. Would I need to get its feet trimmed, and are they ok without another goat for company? Any experiences gratefully received.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Whilst I know nothing about goats I can't imagine a goat is any match to the companionship another horse would provide. Can't you offer livery if it is your own land in return for horsey company?

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
ahh goats. they need their feet done. you would need to have at least two. they are incredible escape artists. they hate rain and if out in a field you would need a shelter for them. they need to come in at night. i could go on and as much as i`d like a couple of goats myself i know i would end up loosing them despite my own stock proofed fields. but they are lovely and playful and full of character. i still think a little sheltland or sec A would be an easier companion to keep.

Suelin

Visit site
ahh goats. they need their feet done. you would need to have at least two. they are incredible escape artists. they hate rain and if out in a field you would need a shelter for them. they need to come in at night. i could go on and as much as i`d like a couple of goats myself i know i would end up loosing them despite my own stock proofed fields. but they are lovely and playful and full of character. i still think a little sheltland or sec A would be an easier companion to keep.

Completely agree with this.

Umbongo

Visit site

Agree with this. A pony would be ALOT easier to keep, and at least the same species, I do think the best company is one of their own.

Tormenta

Visit site
Our Shetland loves our Female goats and they get on well, sharing shelter and grazing, I have even found them sleeping together in the past. However! As lovely as my bigger two are I would worry that a play session or irritation would be too much for a goat to take from a bigger horse and I am not altogether too sure that they can read the body language from each other as quickly as two horses can. It would depend how good a 'sharer' your horse is and how tolerant.

I would find a little pony as a companion, plenty going for a fiver at some marts that would appreciate and thrive in a new home :)

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com

WelshD

Visit site
No risk of lami with goats though :)

I love my goats but they can be sods! If going for a goat get a larger breed with no horns, the larger breeds are far less likely to want to escape and being physically bigger also makes it hard - my pygmy goats can melt through stock fencing like its not even there

Anglo Nubians are nice and placid too

My goats are out 24/7 they sleep under the trees with the rest of the animals despite being able to get through the fence to the stables. They always have access to the stables but rarely ever use them, they are fine with the cold but hate rain. In general goats MUST access to shelter but do not have to be shut in at night

Foor trimming is easy on a trained goat, takes seconds per hoof picked up like a pony and cut with a pair of trimmers and done every 8 weeks or so, you can do it yourself once you have been shown how, its very easy IF you get them used to it young

They need hay and feed in the winter, less than a pony though

There is a bit of Defra and Animal Health paperwork involved, you need a holding and herd number and must keep records of medications given to the goats etc... not a major hassle but obviously you dont get that with a pony

I'd say goats make reasonable companions, my pony was happy enough with his goat and sheep buddies but when we got a second pony he was noticably happier I have to admit

Tormenta

Visit site
All I want to add, which I should have been clearer about before is that a friend of a friend had to have a goat put down after the goat tried to initiate play with a 13.2. Goat jumped and tried to headbutt, pony swung round and let fly both barrels, Goat was put down due to injuries. It is the chance you take I suppose, some Goats and Horses live happily for years.

Shooting Star

Visit site
only experience I've had of horses being kept with goats was that the horses either totally ignored them or mercilessly chased them - but they were very efficent as another poster said at being escape artists so usually managed to leap and slot themselves between the slats of the post and rail fence landing in neighbouring fields ;)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Personally I think horses need other equines as company. Ideally a horse, if not a donkey. If they are one of the rare horses that are dangerous in company, then a horse in an adjoining field. Some horses may well be safe with goats, but I strongly believe as herd animals, they need company of their own kind. If a companion isn't an option, I'd either take on a livery, or move myself.

Sherri

Visit site
We have always had Goats with our Horses, but I wouldn't use them as a companion for a Horse, actually think Sheep or Alpacas are better.

Goats can get laminitis, but they call it Founder in goats... Despite popular belief they don't eat anything, they don't generally like eating stuff off the floor.
And they like human company, and do need attention.

Our goats go in the field with the horses but don't graze with them unlike the sheep who form a herd with the horses and they seem to like being together. We have Jacob Sheep which are hardy and great personalities and even my mare seems to like them.

CAYLA

Visit site
I can tell you my goat story. When I had my pony (he was wicked) he already fractured a girl ribs and broke my arms , he was a rescue and was never the easiest horse. (anger issues)
we kept him alone as he kicked the living day lights out of any horse we tried to put in with him (he later mellowed) but whilst young he would not tollerate another horse.
One day my mam (who runs a k9 rescue) brought an adult female goat home who was going to be put to sleep, she was healthy so mam though "I will put her with the horse":eek:
The horse hated her, he would live along side her but literally just say tollerated her.
2 weeks after she arrived she had a baby:eek:, she gave bird in the night in the stable with the horse (she had a seperate part to him to sleep)
From the minute the baby was born my wicked horse fell in love with her, he concerned himself with her baby bleeting thinking she was in pain, he let her share his food:eek: and he let her jump all over him when he lay down:D.....he adored her and she him, so much so we rehomed the mammy to a farm and kept the baby and my horse together, the bond grew stronger than I could ever imagine, if you tried to take her out of field he would go nuts and vice versa...I never needed her on a lead rope as she followed him everywhere, and he would winnie for her if she fell behind:) she also slept in his stable at night.
Long story short she ate some bushed with council weed killer on and we lost her, my boy was never the same again , he reverted back to tempered and almost sad.
I loved her too, she was a huge personality, like having an dog:(
If I move and decide to get a horse I would definately get a goat too.:)