Are horses the ultimate sanity saviours?

Sophstar

Visit site
Just curious really...

My situation is the end of a long term relationship. Just having the normal routine of seeing the horse twice a day has kept me sane but I ultimately switch off from current life dramas and actually enjoy my time when I'm with my clydie. Made even more exciting by the fact I shall be backing him this year so have an extra thing to focus my mind and time on. He's been my sanity saviour, best friend and counsellor and is the only man I need to see everyday! I'm not sure I could have made it quite so easily without his enthusiastic greetings twice a day.

Anyone else have a sanity saviour? :DDespite the vet bills he has racked up this year, mine's worth his weight in gold :)

meleeka

Visit site
Yes. They have helped me through many disasters. I have my little 2 acre field with stables and it’s where I’m happiest and can just pause life and adulting for a while. Of course they do cause me worry sometimes, but they cure far more than they cause.

Twohorses

Visit site
I think it depends on how the human truly and honestly views the horse.

According to my dad, my love of horses is a "born-in-the-blood addiction inherited from his father who would rather sleep in the hay manger than the house". That hay manger business might be a bit of a stretch, but we're talking the 1940's 50's so mehbee not:)

My horses have been directly responsible for saving my sanity during my lifetime. I have had my own horses non stop since I was 12 - come h*** or high water, thru loss of jobs, relationships, and the loss of my 19 year old son.

It was during that horrible time of losing my son, and only child, that my horses really proved their value. They kept me out of counseling and out of bars. They gave me a purpose to stay focused when I didn't want to stay focused. Having them blow in my ear was better than any drug some doctor thought I needed to have because I was stressed from grief and we all know drugs are the answer to everything (NOT).

Yes, horses can be "sanity saviours" under the right circumstance:)

Trinket12

Visit site
I have a lot of anxiety and depression and recently had to say good bye to my kitty who had been my best friend for 14 years; she was my only friend when I moved to Canada!

The only thing my therapist prescribed was more horse time. Being at the barn, whether that’s teaching or riding is my anchor. I feel my mind is calmer and having time with Risky has really helped me move on after loosing Velvet.

I live for my horsie weekend.

silv

Visit site
Definitely sanity savers for me. I was widowed quite suddenly 18 months ago leaving me totally heartbroken. All my energy since then has been put into my horses and dogs. Whether it has been going for nice rides, lessons or competing, it has given me a focus and a reason to get up in the morning. I am fortunate to have them at home and can potter around to my hearts content. Going out to horse events is also a social thing for me as inevitably when you loose your partner your circle of friends changes too. I would also add that my dogs have also been wonderful therapy for me.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My horse and dogs are what keep me going, and my sheer bloody minded refusal to give the horse up is what keeps me at work when I most days I feel like crawling into bed and never getting out again. I have mobility issues and its soul destroying to be so restricted. When I drive the horse I'm not though. When this photo was taken I was tired, my back was really hurting and I couldnt feel my legs, and I had been in an awful state with worry about losing my car driving licence due to my sight problems, but none of that mattered. I was too busy working out my route round the course where I was able to compete in the same class as and to the same standard able bodied people, and I am so proud of my little horse who despite not being broken long and not always getting the guidance she needs from me, nails it every single time!

57109849_10156441827218667_2536917051511930880_n.jpg

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It's a two way deal for me. The horses were wonderful when my husband and other family members died. The time spent with them was a break from the unrelenting grief, but equally, when the horses were ill or retired, I've been there for them to ensure that they have the best life possible.

Visit site
Depends on the horse. My smaller one could probably be credited with being the reason I'm still here but the bigger ones I think have made me more insane than not (sorry, horses!) 🤣

Merrymoles

Visit site
Mine was when my OH had two strokes and two heart attacks in quick succession which changed our lives completely and left me more or less responsible for everything. Actually, full credit also needs to go to my horse's fieldmate's owner who was there for me as a shoulder throughout and stood my daily ranting with never a complaint.

Because my horse is such a worry guts, I had to switch into "calm and consistent" mode every time I did anything with him, no matter what was happening in my head, which put me into a different "zone" myself. In the early days, I found myself telling OH that I had to do the horses in the evening, which I don't, purely to escape for an hour after work, see my horse and friend and unwind a tiny bit. Even spending ten minutes with horse giving him a quick brush or something was a sanity saver.

A side-effect of this was that OH had to take responsibility for a few minor jobs, such as feeding the dog and putting the dishwasher on, which at least got him moving again. I'm still doing 95 per cent of everything needed but even having those little jobs done is some comfort.

On the other side of the coin, horse drives me completely barking at times with his mini meltdowns over nothing but he's very dear to me and will never go anywhere.

Boulty

Visit site
Mine is the cause of quite a lot of my problems, makes my life quite a lot more awkward than it needs to be & most of the time sends me away from sanity rather than towards it! However through him & some of his insanity inducing behaviour & issues I've met some fantastic people & got involved in things I never would have if I'd had any other horse but him so deep down I do have a lot of thank him for.

The job of saving my sanity is squarely in the paws of the kitten. He can be a right little brat & his constant demanding behaviour & destruction of carpets can be a bit wearing sometimes but watching him chase imaginary bits of dust / flies & pounce on blades of grass is highly entertaining. Also he gives the best cuddles!

zaminda

Visit site
My horses have in the past been my only reason for continuing. They have given me consistency and a need to put someone else first. My little mare is an absolute rock and I don't think I would be here without her.

windand rain

Visit site
Its a strange mix of sanity and worry. I am a real peace lover could sit for hours just watching every move they make. I dont ride anymore but cannot live without them so I try hard to make each one the best they can be. I have cried on necks, smiled at antics and worried about small changes in health. They keep me alive, make sure I get out and about, help me meet people (I can be a bit antisocial) and are part of a loose routine that keep life ticking over. So not sure about keeping me sane but certainly healthy and occupied

Lurfy

Visit site
I have had several horses who have all been very special to me and most definitely sanity saviours during tough times. I am happier and healthier for having horses throughout my life. When I am under a lot of pressure nothing beats the welcoming neigh and the pricked ears he greets me with. Better feeling than any drug could give. As Churchill said "There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse." They are magic.

FinnBobs

Visit site
I would say yes. My Husband is battling mental health problems at the moment and it can be very hard to support him. We live and work together so being able to go and spend some time with my boy every day is invaluable to my own mental health and it also gives me a chance to spend time with my friends and socialize. I also waited a very long time to be able to be a horse owner so every horsey day is precious to me and I cherish every moment that I have with him. I'm loving the journey.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have a very anti horse OH and the stables is the only place where I can make decisions without consulting OH and where I momentarily escape the pressures of 1 full time job and a busy family life (3 children). The ponies give me a focus and the fresh air and exercise that a job in IT and sitting at a desk all day certainly doesn't!