Are Irish horses the most fun to ride?

burtie

Visit site
Just reading the dream horse section and it suddenly occured to me that of all the horses I've ridden over the years in terms of just per fun and enjoyment to ride they were ALL irish born and bred. Ranging from nearly all ID to a mixture of IDxTB, to a full Irish NH bred TB?

So is it something special magic the Irish put into all their horses, as they all seem to have the same certain something about the way they ride even though sometimed completely different breeds?

EllieBeast

Visit site
I am biased. YES
tongue.gif

4whitesocks

Visit site
I've only ever ridden irish bred horses and to be fair some of them are complete loons too! Sometimes it seems that a lot of horses are sold to the UK on the basis that they are Irish and nothing else (when no-one here would buy them!) so people end up with a bad perspective....but it is really nice to see a positive comment about our neddies (I'm always jumping up on my soapbox when people blame 'coming from ireland' for whatever problem they are encountering with their horse!!!)

So thanks Burtie (says she taking credit for every horse breeder in the country!!!)

fairhill

Visit site
My current horse was brought over from Ireland, and she's definitely the best and most fun horse I've owned.
Having said that, she's mostly cleveland bay (we think) so I'm not sure how much is due to her english breeding (nature), or her irish upbringing (nuture)!

Scarlett

Visit site
I got my first Irish lad this year - had never sat on anything Irish til I got him - he is a 15hh IDx ? and he is easily the most fun horse I have ever owned. My Tb will jump higher and go faster than he will, but he will never be as versitile and as much fun - he's the first horse I have had that I am constantly excited about riding...

Hes also got the biggest fan club I've ever seen - am off home to Scotland for a few days next month and I have had 5 people offer to look after him already!

If I buy anything else an IDx would be top of the list... (beside another exracer.....)

Rambo

Visit site
Ooooh no ! I've had a few ISH types, and a couple of Dutch WB's, as well as a pure TB and loads of other 'ponies'. I hate to say it, but pound for pound, the Dutch boys get my vote
shocked.gif

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Defo, I would always have Irish horses, again I am biased. I love them. If I could have another it would be a connie.

[/ QUOTE ]

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Excuse me young lady, that is not the answer you should be giving...............now as I bend your arm behind your back to breaking point - which are the most fun to ride???? First word begins with C and second word begins with B

Come on I am waiting for an answer!!!!!!!!
blush.gif
shocked.gif

Now my answer - can you guess - I love the dependable, reliable, loving, honest, comfortable, steady (very in my case).....................CLEVELAND BAY
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Whispers - I did ride a fantastic ID x TB many years ago, was reserve champion hunter at HOYS!!!!

KatB

Visit site
Always had a soft spot for Irish horses, and my boy is a true irish lad, brought him over from Ireland myself! He is fab, really enjoy riding him, and is very genuine. Definitely have something special about them.

Edited to say... Irish are the most fun horses... however cant beat my old cobby for pure FUN as far as riding goes, but he is a pony, so doesnt count...
tongue.gif

lizzieuk1

Visit site
my boy is ish and he is fab still only 4 but getting better each day. had a welsh cross before who was a complete loony, an idx before that who was such a lovely gent and alittle welsh pony before that who was great fun but again a looney. Would def stick to the irish now.

Jemayni

Visit site
I wouldn't really know; I have always ridden on an irish dealers yard and all my horses have come from there, Im struggling to think of a non irish Bred horse that I have ridden more than once.

This is also why my dream horse is irish....

ladylisa

Visit site
I had an irish cob a few years ago, he wasnt your average cob, on minute he'd be lazy and the next a loon, but i loved it. I now have an id/tb and she so fun. so i think that the answer would be yes!!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I wouldn't want anything else
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Says probably the most biased person
tongue.gif
(along with 4whitesocks) and I also have to agree with sayin "Thanks Bertie" it is nice to hear something positive about them for a change!!!

BBs

Visit site
Only had one horse come from Ireland, she was wicked! but not the easiest beast Ive ever owned.

Winston is ISH but born in Gloucestershire - although his dam came from ireland. I wouldnt part with him even if you paid me!

Snoopy being KWPN was definitely NOT what i was looking for as a potential eventer/SJer however, hes proving (perhaps too early to say) to be a lot of fun! and extremely bold! perhaps hes secretly Irish??

I have no idea where Bertie came from but to me, is a living legend, and the best horse I have ever owned! where ever he came from lol