Are less people competing?

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Lots of shows near us haven't had the best attendance lately, I keep seeing posts online begging people to enter or events can't run...is this a national thing? Are less people competing than they used to? Do you think its a cost of fuel thing?? I wonder...

GreyDot

Visit site
Definitely fuel - not many affilliated shows running at my level near me - have to now make a 3 hour round trip and it's the fuel which puts me off.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Yup can’t afford the whole experience anymore with the cost of fuel. Had to move Faran to a yard closer to home due to the eye water cost of fuel so competing is out of the question

MagicMelon

Visit site
My father in law is a BS judge and he has noticed a big drop in entries, he thinks because of fuel costs. People used to travel lorry loads of horses up from further south for shows up here but now arent doing that. Personally, I'm very conscious of it. Ive recently lost my job too so feeling the pinch and only doing certain events this summer, all of them local. Distance will play a big part. Generally Id only usually travel for eventing but with my "local" (1.5 hours away) having just announced its closing, eventings died a death in my area now and no way Im driving 2+ hours with the fuel. Im very lucky I have a BS venue 30 mins away where I go most of the time. Its really sad and I really hope we dont keep losing more and more venues. Russia has a lot to answer for!

marmalade76

Visit site
The number of people competing unaff has been dropping for getting on for twenty years. Local unaff shows would often not pack up until well into the evening, these days the few unaff shows left are all packed up by about 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

Pokitren

Visit site
My father in law is a BS judge and he has noticed a big drop in entries, he thinks because of fuel costs. People used to travel lorry loads of horses up from further south for shows up here but now arent doing that. Personally, I'm very conscious of it. Ive recently lost my job too so feeling the pinch and only doing certain events this summer, all of them local. Distance will play a big part. Generally Id only usually travel for eventing but with my "local" (1.5 hours away) having just announced its closing, eventings died a death in my area now and no way Im driving 2+ hours with the fuel. Im very lucky I have a BS venue 30 mins away where I go most of the time. Its really sad and I really hope we dont keep losing more and more venues. Russia has a lot to answer for!
It's all coming down to the fact that there will be local sites with a higher value (the business has to be profitable). Or they will not open at all and competitions will not be held.
Russia will respond.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
We are so lucky in our area that we have quite a few equestrian centres in easy reach. But for example, the weekend just gone, 2 had unaff jumping and one had dressage. These comps are within 20 mins of each other!! Surely a little forward planning would help? The numbers were low for each comp unsurprisingly!