Are mares harder to sell on?

Amy Vs red head PCD

• Total voters

jemstone

Visit site
So as the title says really...are they harder to sell on than geldings and would you purposefully not buy a mare because of the selling on factor?

sunny123

Visit site
I love mares! I would be a buyer in that market aswell. I dont think it would really effect re-sale very much, some people would never buy a mare, some would never buy a gelding, some arnt fussy!

jj87

Visit site
i love mares i have one gelding (cob) and that was because he was going really really cheap! I've had another previously to him (ISH) and i didn't get on with him at all despite him being safe sane and pretty impressive with his flat work and jumping so he was sold! Love my mares
smile.gif

I don't think that they are hard to sell on and I would always choose to have a mare over a gelding....... I think geldings put some effort in all the time whereas I think mares are more tempamental but when you have a good mare, on your side it will give everything and i'd rather have bad days and amazing days rather than a whole bunch of good/average days.
I believe the saying that you can tell a gelding what to do but you have to ask a mare and that makes them more interesting!!!

Nic

Visit site
Only ever met 1 mare I got on with
crazy.gif

Would generally prefer a gelding as our lot are all boys and fairly settled, think a mare would disrupt things.

But as far as performance goes makes no odds to me.

RachelB

Visit site
I didn't want a mare having known a difficult one, but ended up with one anyway. She's a superstar but can be a madam (has nearly kicked her stable wall thorugh to the gelding next door!) but I think her value as a confidence giver and bombproof hack outweighs her mareish-ness.

Halfpass

Visit site
When buying my mare I was suprised to find that the young geldings were more expensive than the mares. Personally I felt that if the mare didn't work out as she has good breeding she could be used for a brood mare. I have never had one before but she is just so affectionate I love it. I would def buy another mare.

helenandshadow

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that they are hard to sell on and I would always choose to have a mare over a gelding....... I think geldings put some effort in all the time whereas I think mares are more tempamental but when you have a good mare, on your side it will give everything and i'd rather have bad days and amazing days rather than a whole bunch of good/average days.
I believe the saying that you can tell a gelding what to do but you have to ask a mare and that makes them more interesting!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
100% agree with this.

I think a few people could be put off by a mare but many people would choose a mare because if things go wrong it can be used as a broodmare.
I personally prefer mares, i would choose a mare over a gelding every time, and wouldn't be put off buying one from a selling on point of view.

[ QUOTE ]
A good mare is the bestest horse... A bad is the worst!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most mares encompass the whole spectrum depending on their mood!!

nicnag

Visit site
Personally I find I click easier with mares so do tend to gravitate towards them although I did look at a lot of geldings before I found my latest one - another mare.

As others have said a good mare will always be easier to sell than a bad one!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I think that they can be harder to sell on as many people have preconceived ideas that they are more difficult than geldings. However that has never put me off buying one as they can always be used for breeding if all else fails or when they end their working life. Plus I like the challenge of winning over a mare and the sense of satisfaction when they trust you and their unwavering loyalty.

Sooty

Visit site
There are probably as many people who would choose a mare as would choose a gelding. They both have their benefits. Having one of each, I would have mares again from choice. They just have a bit more about them!

jayvee

Visit site
I too seem to click with all mares I have met. (And having one that is a dream). But there have been ones (and ones I have taken to) I would not breed form. I think it is wrong just cos it is no good is to put in foal. Espesh if temperment is the issue, along with comformation.

_jetset_

Visit site
I have two mares and would buy another one too... I like their temperments, and I think they have a lot to offer when handled and ridden correctly

Parkranger

Visit site
When I was looking for my horse I found that there were certainly more mares for sale than geldings - not sure if that was just coincidence though.

I've had mares but can never quite click with them - think it's probably because I find the majority of them too sharp for me - geldings (imo) are easier to build up a relationship with.

That said, it's a bit like bitches......they tend to be faithful to one owner whereas dogs will love everyone......

Theresa_F

Visit site
Until last year I have always had mares, and apart from Fleur who could be difficult, never had any problems from them.

I love them.

I now have two geldings, but this is purely because that is what came along - I actually went to view a mare and got Stinker instead.

I do understand why some people don't like them. They are entire horses and need a little more tact when dealing with them than a gelding normally does.

evsj

Visit site
I couldn't vote cos I didn't think the options were applicable to me. I used to only want a gelding then, somehow, ended up with this mare I have now. I am completely converted and even tend to focus only on mares when browsing the for sale section in H&H..

Like someone said earlier, there is just something more about them - perhaps because they are entire? I think people who are anti-mare have just never owned a good one, IMO.