Are my insurers taking the p*ss here?

katelarge

Visit site
OK, so I got my insurance renewal forms through today and was a bit taken aback to see my horse has an exclusion on his pelvis that I was unaware of! I put in a claim last October, when he was unlevel behind, My usual vets were rubbish and kept saying they couldn't figure out what it was, and he'd need bone scans, etc.

I decided to get a second opinion, and this vet came out, diagnosed a pelvic rotation, which was helped by some on-the-spot chiro, and followup visits from a back person who the vet referred me to.

Now, the second-opinion vet wrote a treatment report, of which the last paragrpah reads" I do not believe that there will be any lasting legacy as a result of this pelvic rotation which is a common occurance in horses that is adequately maintained through regular chiropractic or osteopathis treatment. ***There should be no reason to include any exclusions on XXX for insurance purposes***."

Notice the last sentence? So what did they do? Slap an exclusion on him, without telling me and totally ignoring the vets advice!!!

I called them and they say the best they can do is for me to pay for another visit from the vet, and for them to say THE SAME THING AGAIN!! Then they MIGHT take off the exclusion! Does anyone else not get this? How do they decide to put on exclusions if not by veterinary advice? And the vet's report was pretty back and white!

I tell you what, I have a good mind to go elsewhere now! Seriously hacked off!

Madam_max

Visit site
Its fairly standard I am afraid. I have exlusions from injuries i.e kicks that will have no lasting problems. I have loads!!! I have just got my mare re-vetted to see if I can get these exlusions off. Which company is it?

Peanot

Visit site
Some insurers know how to get us don`t they? They presume that we have horses we must have money. As you have the written paper from the vet, tell them that you will go elsewhere and get other quotes.

Horseymum

Visit site
I would call their bluff and try and get cover elsewhere. Are you prepared to say on here which Insurer it is? My Husband's horse has exclusions on all four flaming legs and every year I argue the toss with him about whether we should pay them their premium or put it in a piggy bank to pay Vet's fees. Needless to say, all her injuries are leg related so we never claim a penny from them. Hope you find someone who can offer you a better deal.

katelarge

Visit site
I just can't see how they can read a written report like that and then go and do the complete opposite! Also they never said a word when they put the exclusion on - it was hidden at the bottom of page three of the renewal forms - which they can stick where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned!

Feel a nasty letter coming on!

katelarge

Visit site
I think I would fall foul of admin if I posted on here - anyone can PM me, but they are one of the biggies who you all know! I have just called NFU and explained the situation and they seemed to be not too fazed, they will want to see the copy of the vet's report so I am hopeful they might be able to help me out.

Vey

Visit site
I have a horse who had at one point a problem with his leg, and he has no exclusions - Carriage House - excellent, get a quote.

katelarge

Visit site
cheers Vey, I will look into that too. I think when I bought the horse I just went with this lot and didn't shop around enough...

jacks_mum

Visit site
don't bother with Petplan - I'm happy to name and shame - I am having a hell of a job with them.

My horse had a sore spot on his sacro-illiac and some physio so Petplan have now exluded his entire back from poll to tail although, as with your's, it is not something that is likely to cause longterm problems. I got my vets to fax the claim form and physio bills to them last Thursday and it has taken the head vet shouting at them today to get Petplan to confirm that they have had the claim for a week and done nothing with it - not even put it on their system!!!!

In MY OPINION Petplan are a pile of **** and I will be looking else where next year when my renewal is due.

jacks_mum

Visit site
and as I put on another thread - they want me get a five star vetting on my mini shetland to increase her insurance from £400 to £1000!!!

i will be voting with my feet next year - unfortunately i had my renewal a couple of months ago and didn't change as I was in the middle of Jack's treatment.

I hope you find a decent insurer for your boy. - if there are any..........................

riotgirl

Visit site
I have to say, this is the reason I don't both with insurance anymore. I have my BHS membership which covers me for public liability and I leave it at that.

katelarge

Visit site
Have called NFU and they can't save me much, unless I drop my loss of use, BUT their vets coverage is much higher - £5,000 and their excesses are slightly lower. Also they will still need to consider the exclusion themselves, so it's worth a go.

Clodagh

Visit site
NFU were good to me, except wouldn't pay out when my mare was put down, they didn't feel two completely severed tendons in the hind leg were a major problem...
shocked.gif

Until then I had no problems at all. I have heard they exclude a lot, too, though.
crazy.gif

lizstuguinness

Visit site
stupid, plain stupid..... a mates horse had colic clamied £200 for vets fees (she was out of work at the time) and now the insurance will not allow her to claim for ANY internal digestive disorders. so what happens if she develops a problem with her liver or kdney or something..... nothing she cant claim. if something serious does turn up at any point costing a small arm and leg, the mare will be pts as she is 15yrs.

makes me mad... just coz of colic. it has no bareing AT ALL on colic so why is it excluded?
i would not insure but its yards policy and in my contract. im with aims as its the cheapest i can find, most insurances are crap so why waste money just get the chaepest you can find.