Are sarcoids catching to other horses

horseriderdeb

Visit site
A lady at my yard has a pony that has a massive sarcoid near its mouth. Its now big and red where it keeps rubbing it and where the bit sits. Infact it keeps bleeding. She is using thuja cream and tablets but I am worried that it grooms my horses and don't want it spreading to them. Any one heard of them spreading from horse to horse

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I don't think I've ever heard of sarcoids being contagious.. if it keeps bleeding like that I would recommend a vet comes out and sees it and offers any advice though xx

They are not 'contagious' in the way that - say - ringworm is. Contact between horses doesn't cause them. BUT - and it's a big BUT - they can be transmitted between horses by fly bites. Fly bites sarcoid on one horse, bites another horse literally injecting sarcoid cells into second horse and IF that horse is susceptible, it WILL get a sarcoid!

The fact that this sarcoid is bleeding makes it high risk!!

Jesstickle

Visit site
They are not 'contagious' in the way that - say - ringworm is. Contact between horses doesn't cause them. BUT - and it's a big BUT - they can be transmitted between horses by fly bites. Fly bites sarcoid on one horse, bites another horse literally injecting sarcoid cells into second horse and IF that horse is susceptible, it WILL get a sarcoid!

The fact that this sarcoid is bleeding makes it high risk!!

I have to say that this is what I've always heard too.

horseriderdeb

Visit site
ok I will have a word with the owner again and try and persuade her to get the vet out. I feel so sorry for the pony as it looks horrible