Are the 'furious fives' inevitable?

flying_high

Visit site
I don’t think there is any hard or fast rule with young horses and ages.

I do think many young horses seem very accepting of many stages of backing and starting work, and hacking, and going new places. And sometimes it is only after they have the strength to do the work with less effort and concentration, and find it easier, that they start challenging the rider / handler’s authority.

Though what age this is, depends on many things the age horse was backed, how developed the horse is, how much work the horse has done etc.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
My old mare I owned her from just turned 4 to 6.5 did all the backing and riding away and by the time I sold her she had done all the usual activities and the odd competition and hunted a few times. She always was anybodies ride and was so easy going never putting a foot wrong! Even when we did her least favourite thing of flatwork she would try hard. So I definitely wouldn't say its inevitable. Even now she's with a nervous teenager and the girl has gone from being scared to ride to going on 3 hr fast hacks with her. So I think if you get a good natured one, they generally are easy all the way!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't think they're inevitable at all. I don't want to jinx it, but my mare is 5 and hasn't been any trouble in that sense yet, and none of my others ever went through a huge change at that age either.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
My roan was lovely aged five, but had a few months of the Kevins upon turning six. He grew out of it. I think the three and a half to four phase was worse.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Mine didnt. Granted he wasnt backed until six but we havent had any problems and he is 10.
I think.it depends on how much the horse is pushed before its ready and how much its personality fits the work its in.
That is my view and im sure someone will disagree.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My grey had a 'pushing the boundaries' fortnight when she was a yearling but she's been on an even keel since then. The gelding (also had him from a yearling) has never had an off day - he's always very sweet, but a bit of a twit. LOL. ;)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
IME, they change shape a lot around the time they are 5, so it is quite likely that those 5 yr olds which are misbehaving are uncomfortable in their tack.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think.it depends on how much the horse is pushed before its ready and how much its personality fits the work its in.
That is my view and im sure someone will disagree.

Someone probably will, but it's not going to be me.

Square pegs and round holes never work - and I don't mean the horse should be purpose-bred or anything, just that it has to basically enjoy, and be trainable, within the spectrum of the rider's ambition, its job.

flying_high

Visit site
Square pegs and round holes never work - and I don't mean the horse should be purpose-bred or anything, just that it has to basically enjoy, and be trainable, within the spectrum of the rider's ambition, its job.

My horse is very talented but I think his ambition is to play fool and be a giant pet!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Am following this thread with great interest!

I have a little'un and she's five........ had a bit of a hooley a month or two back when she was asked to ride out solo away from the herd (which she's done loads of times without issue), but this time I felt her back roaching up and she gave a few little token play-bucks - probably just to remind me that she could, the monkey.

So instead of riding her out straight from the yard; I led her out in hand, all saddled up, without fuss, and went down the road a quarter-mile, and then (using a very convenient wall!) just quietly hopped up and rode her on. Did that a few times, then got up here in the yard and rode her out as normal and she was fine! Just a token protest methinks.

Hope this is all the tantrums I get from her!

turkana

Visit site
My horse had a serious bout of the Kevins at from 6 - 7, she was a stroppy madam and threw regular paddys, fortunately she backed down very quickly so they never lasted for long, I treated her like a toddler, ignoring the bad behaviour & praising the good, she's now a lovely compliant 11 year old, who rarely puts a foot wrong and is eager to please.

conniegirl

Visit site
mine developed an oppinion at 5, but I wouldnt call it terrible. He just got to the point where his confidence was so high that thought he knew better than me and huffed and puffed when corrected.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never heard it called furious fives and I certainly don't think furious fives are inevitable. I've always heard it described as feisty fives or silly sixes, and it seems to be whenever they realise their own strength (of mind or body or both). Some test a lot more than others. Some riders take on a fight more than others, who find a way around it instead of confronting it.

Common, yes, serious rarely, inevitable no.

TheProdigal

Visit site
Thanks all for your reassuring insights. I asked the question because after weeks and weeks of searching for the sensible, older horse I am having a four year old vetted tomorrow! The best laid plans and all that......

Asha

Visit site
Thanks all for your reassuring insights. I asked the question because after weeks and weeks of searching for the sensible, older horse I am having a four year old vetted tomorrow! The best laid plans and all that......

very exciting , hope the vetting goes well. id say it depends on the horse, we've had 3 irish draughts from age 4-5 and none have hit the kevins at 5. To be fair, ones 21,ones 8 and ones 6 now, and they've not hit the kevins yet ! However, we've also had a few WBs, and all of those have tested the rider at 5.