Are these sycamore seedlings? Pic...

Marnie

Visit site
Hi all,

I have just found out that a tree in the yard is a sycamore. My two gave been grazing in a small paddock near it (it isn't actually in there) that I used on very odd occasions last summer but it has a couple of fruit trees that can be reached with a long neck so I avoided it.

I've had a good look when I was poo picking this evening and found the plants in the pictures along the fence line - does anyone know if they are sycamore seedlings?

Thanks for any help!

20210327_183332.jpg20210327_183345.jpg

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yup. Once you get your eye in for them you end up seeing the bliddy things everywhere too so be prepared for a long job!

I seem to have got an eye for them while they are still inside the seed shell this year. You can see the little shell sticking up from the ground on a stalk. It's good because I'm catching a lot of them early but it's maddening because the more I look the more I see.

The new neighbours have just said today that they are going to get rid of their sycamores though so they are now my new favourite people ?

L&M

Visit site
Yes afraid so - we picked a whole bucketful today which took 2 of us nearly 2 hrs, but worth it for peace of mind.......

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
We started looking yesterday and found loads like this. We have three trees on our boundary, one planted by my sister long before the problem was known about. Unfortunately they aren't somewhere that is suitable for felling them or they would be down.

Marnie

Visit site
Thank you for all the responses.

So I went and had a good look this morning and as well as along the fence line there are some seedlings in the paddock. It is pretty grazed down so I am worried as to how many the pair of them may have eaten already. I've left them in for now and I won't put them back out until I'm happy that there aren't any left but is there anything that I should do to see if they have any damage e.g. bloods?

Spottyappy

Visit site
Thank you for all the responses.

So I went and had a good look this morning and as well as along the fence line there are some seedlings in the paddock. It is pretty grazed down so I am worried as to how many the pair of them may have eaten already. I've left them in for now and I won't put them back out until I'm happy that there aren't any left but is there anything that I should do to see if they have any damage e.g. bloods?
I believe you can get a blood test through your vet.
here is some information from the RVC:
https://www.rvc.ac.uk/research/labo...atypical-myopathy-testing-for-vets-and-owners

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I moved our 3 forest girls out of the field with bleeding sycamores in today to a field with grass in. Needless to say they were happy. Who would have horses eh? Year round things to look out for!! Wretched seedlings, acorns, fresh grass...........

Marnie

Visit site
I've picked quite a few - walked over the paddock a couple of times so am pretty confident I've got most of them. They were mostly in the fence line but there were a few in the middle which makes me worry that they may have eaten some - they both seem ok but will give my vet a ring in the morning to see if there is anything I should do.

Thank you again for all the help.

20210328_180819.jpg

JoWoollerton

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had a good look when I was poo picking this evening and found the plants in the pictures along the fence line - does anyone know if they are sycamore seedlings?

Thanks for any help!

I'm glad you've been pro-active by pulling them up. 'If in doubt - pull it out!' has always been my moto. All Acer seedlings seem to look the same to me :( We have Field Maple in the hedgerows but, a neighbouring property has the dreaded Sycamore. Although I've never had any trouble distinguishing between the different Acer helicopter seed pods, to me, it almost impossible to tell the difference when they're seedlings. I'm sure the experts don't have any trouble though ... :D

I wish all horsey folk were as fastidious as you :)

Marnie

Visit site
I spoke to my vet this morning and hopefully based on the time frame, there shouldn't be any effects if they haven't been seen already. I'm happy that I've got them all out so far and am checking when I poo pick (daily) for any more.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Frans

Visit site
Thank you so much for posting this OP - realised the plants I had dismissed as NOT Sycamore seedlings actually are! Ponies now off the field :)

Lois Lame

Visit site
I've picked quite a few - walked over the paddock a couple of times so am pretty confident I've got most of them. They were mostly in the fence line but there were a few in the middle which makes me worry that they may have eaten some - they both seem ok but will give my vet a ring in the morning to see if there is anything I should do.

Thank you again for all the help.

View attachment 68619

They will have found it easier to germinate at the fence line because they are protected there from trampling. (ETA: Also, they get caught there after a bit of a ride on the wind.) So it doesn't necessarily mean that all the others that landed on grass managed to germinate and then get eaten. (ETA: Or that the quantity found at the fence line would be the same as in the field.)

Brilliant job you've done.

(EagainTA: gee, I hope my post is readable with those edits)

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
How long do you leave the paddock after you've mowed them? (assuming your mower spits out rather than collecting)

My lawn is absolutely covered with them thanks to my neighbour's sycamore. I have never seen anything like it. I tried mowing this weekend and it didn't make any difference .

I think they need to grow on a bit more before that will be effective . I will try again next weekend.

No idea about how long to leave them for after, sorry.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I agree, OldNag. The mower has to be able to reach those little tops of the seedlings. The seedlings cannot survive once those tops have been removed.