Are these sycamore seedlings? Pic...

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Regarding mowing, I think you do need to remove the seedlings still as the toxin is thought to remain even once mowed. That seems to be the advise from the RVC etc anyway.

L&M

Visit site
it is worth remebering that not all sycamores carry the toxin, so if you find some in your grazing it does not automatically mean your horse will come down with AM - but of course it is all about managing the risk and I know I have sleepless nights until either they have died off, or we have picked the majority.

The only way of knowing if the tree has toxins is to test each one individually, and every year.......but then if you have several trees then how do you know which seedlings/saplings are the toxic ones? Nightmare.......

L&M

Visit site
it is worth remembering that not all sycamores carry the toxin, so if you find some in your grazing it does not automatically mean your horse will come down with AM. Also not all horses will eat them either - but of course it is all about managing the risk and I know I have sleepless nights until either they have died off, or we have picked the majority.

skint1

Visit site
I would happily attend a bonfire featuring every sycamore on this island. I hate them. I lost my mare of a lifetime because of them.

Lois Lame

Visit site
The seed pods are smaller as I remember and the leaves are different. There’s a pic halfway down this page of the leaves . https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2018/09/22/trees-perfect-storm-atypical-myopathy-risk-horses/

Aha! My self-sown maple is not a sycamore. That's good. It's nowhere near horses, but that's not the point. I didn't want to have one in my garden regardless. It appeared in my garden one day and I let it grow. It's about 10' by now.

I'm still trying to work out if we have sycamores around here. Certainly nowhere near where I have kept horses. I have vague... very vague... memories of my mother saying, "It's a sycamore," about one of the many trees in the garden in which I grew up. I liked its helicopter seeds but took little notice of it otherwise. It was fairly crammed in and had grown tall-ish and slender-ish, presumably because of that.

I love maples, all except the box elder (and now the sycamore :D), which is a weed tree in my opinion. I wouldn't have one on the place.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all,

I have just found out that a tree in the yard is a sycamore. My two gave been grazing in a small paddock near it (it isn't actually in there) that I used on very odd occasions last summer but it has a couple of fruit trees that can be reached with a long neck so I avoided it.

I've had a good look when I was poo picking this evening and found the plants in the pictures along the fence line - does anyone know if they are sycamore seedlings?

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 68521View attachment 68522
yes they are , pull them up

Lois Lame

Visit site
How did you know it was a field maple and not a sycamore? And do the seed pods and saplings look the same?

If you have a look at the different species of maple, you will notice several things:

1. The arrangement of the seeds. One species will have seeds that have a very wide angle from each other, and look almost straight. It's hard to explain - better to have a look.

2. Leaves, also, are different.