Are we rushing it?

mandy4727

Visit site
In 10 days there is an Inhand show 1/2 a mile form the stables. We were going to take Calli. We don't know if were rusing her now. Shes only 16 months old and don't know if it would be too much for her.
We would bath on the saturday, plait up sunday morning, walk her down to the show, do the show ( if we win our class which is in the morning we would have to come back later for the finally) then go home.
We have been on the roads and shes fine. But think she might be a little unstable at the show.
Although its a lot quiter than a normal show as its just inhand classes.
What should we do?
I don't want her 1st show to be a bad experience.
All comments welcomed.
Just letting you know this is the daughter. Couldnt be botherd logging on mine!

elsielouise

Visit site
i don't think so.

I took my mare to her first show as an eight month old filly and apart from whinnying all over the ring she was very good - and second in her youngstock class and third in coloured class so came home with a trophy too!

And we took her in a trailer.

As long as you stay calm even if she is stressy she'll be fine. Oh and have enough helpers.

Enjoy it - I loved introducing mine to new things.

mandy4727

Visit site
Well i know she deffo will neigh.
Will give it a shot.
Would of taken calli in colourds to but yearlings is in the morning and colouds in the evening! so it would be a long day.
Plus my mum is turning 40 that day.

Zebedee

Visit site
No!! All my homebreds have been out showing at county level as yearlings, & have also had 'sleep-overs' at the bigger shows. We would look to show the yearlings once or twice a month, depending on the individual animal / ground conditions etc.

L

lilym

my filly did her first show at 6 months old and loved it!! yes she was a handful but it was good experience and has stood her in good stead for the county shows she has done this year - go for it!!

mandy4727

Visit site
Thanks folks. My daughter hijacked my account. Hence all th spelling mistakes. We are just concerned that in just over a weeks time Calli will
have to have a bath - has had 1 bath and she was fine.
be plaited up
taken on the road (only done it 4 times and she was fine every time) but only half a mile away we have no trailer or box
Wear her bridle with bit which she just chomps on continously
taken to a strange place with loads of other horses.
shown and we will be stressed and nervous too
and then taken home again on roads.
Just wondered if we are being to optimistic trying to get her to this one in just over a weeks time.
But she is a quite a calm filly and nothing seems to stress her. But it is quite a good show to win at if you win but it shouldn't be really busy as no jumping classes on and no ridden classes so hopefully won't be horses galloping about.
My thoughts are get her ready. Take her and see how she reacts if won't calm down at all them go home without entering.

elsielouise

Visit site
Awww.. love baby coloured ones.

Take plenty of pictures then. That's one of the things I promised I'd do and didn't and given I've had mine since she was 4 months old (8 now) I should've had loads of early pics. I promised myself a photo diary of her growing up and somehow it didn't happen.

Will have to put her in foal at some point to get more baby pics!

wvfoxylady

Visit site
Hiya I took my yearling to a county show for his first outing. I had never shown in-hand before and Tommy had never been off the yard either.Was very frightened thats me not the horse. I ended up taking him in two wrong classes I even managed to confuse the judge it was very embarrassing but everyone was lovely all the other competitors were fussing him and were really nice so were the two confused judges.ha ha.The only good outcome of the show was that my little yearling behaved impeccably well (better than his owner) and the judge gave him a 6TH place rosette,even though it was the 3-4 year old class!It gave Tommy lots of confidence and he saw so many different things that in the end I was really happy.So go on give it a try im sure your little one will be fine.xxx