Are you a ‘cross breed snob’?

{97702}

Visit site
Prompted by a couple of comments on a thread in Soapbox (or is it Club House now?) I was quite surprised that there appears to be a perception that there is unwarranted snobbery about cross breed dogs such as “cocker poos” and the like. Would you agree with this? (The snobbery I mean, not being surprised about the idea)

Personally I own a couple of mongrels, which I call lurchers cos it’s so much posher doncha know.... and it happens to be what they actually are 😊 Not many people know what a ‘long dog’ is, which is actually far more accurate, so it saves endless explanations

I have no snobbery towards cross breeds but I do object to the bull**** that is spoken about them (hybrid vigour anyone?!) and also the way they are churned out by unscrupulous breeders at ridiculously inflated prices. Personally for me a ‘poo dog’ is not my cup of tea, but then greyhounds aren’t for a lot of people too so it’s just personal taste

Just interested in people’s thoughts 😊

Clodagh

Visit site
See I do find it a bit odd when we love our cross bred horses, and are keen to make good mixes when doing so. So for me it's not the crosses so much as the people doing it poorly.

This, mainly. I am not sure what crossing a cocker spaniel with a poodle does to enhance either breed but there are plenty about and people love them.
But yes I am a 'poo' snob.
I am not a sprocker or springador snob though! Longdogs are the ultimate cross. Like horses, things bred to be useful are good, things bred becasue you can call them a cute name not so much.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I am even worse, I am a pure breed horse and pure breed poultry snob.#sorrynotsorry.

and its not that I dont like a good mutt or an equine of mixed breeding-just that there are so many breeds that can do the jobs that people want, that have had the hard work done if you like, that are worth preserving.

and something that really sticks in my craw is being told I should only have rescues, that there's no need to buy from a breeder. there's every reason to buy from a breeder in my book but hey ho. Nothing against rescues either, there's times in my life I can have them and times when I can't- but having never contributed to either the massive dog or horse overbreeding problem (because I buy from good breeders) I will not be guilt tripped into solely having rescues-I've had my fair share.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im sorely tempted by a cockerpoo or something of a similar size when we are looking for our next dog as we want something just a tad smaller than a springer. However, I dont think I will be able to bring myself to pay the extremely high price people seem to want for what is essentially a cross breed. I have no issue with crossbreeds, what I have an issue with is people who seem to breed in order to come up with a witty name and then stick a huge price tag on it so they can say its a cocker doodle doo or somesuch!!

millikins

Visit site
I am even worse, I am a pure breed horse and pure breed poultry snob.#sorrynotsorry.

and its not that I dont like a good mutt or an equine of mixed breeding-just that there are so many breeds that can do the jobs that people want, that have had the hard work done if you like, that are worth preserving.

and something that really sticks in my craw is being told I should only have rescues, that there's no need to buy from a breeder. there's every reason to buy from a breeder in my book but hey ho. Nothing against rescues either, there's times in my life I can have them and times when I can't- but having never contributed to either the massive dog or horse overbreeding problem (because I buy from good breeders) I will not be guilt tripped into solely having rescues-I've had my fair share.

It is irritating how much people charge for "designer" crossbreeds but at the end of the day it is none of my business what someone pays for their dog so long as they care for it. I've had several rescues, current dog is pedigree as I wanted a standard poodle, a breed I've always admired.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
So for me it's not the crosses so much as the people doing it poorly.

I think that's it for me as well - plus people choosing poorly, too.

Even ignoring the health issue there's a world of potential difference between a hot, field trialling type working cocker and a profusely coated, slightly dopier show cocker and a scarily smart, confident agility/obedience/showing type poodle and a more reticent or skitty pet/lapdog type. IMO this rarely seems to be a consideration when breeding and buying and people end up with the sort of dogs mentioned on the other thread, potentially way too high energy for their lifestyles or the nervy/yappy/neurotic end of the spectrum.

HashRouge

Visit site
I have no snobbery towards cross breeds but I do object to the bull**** that is spoken about them (hybrid vigour anyone?!) and also the way they are churned out by unscrupulous breeders at ridiculously inflated prices.
In my defence, those weren't the objections you raised on the original thread. You simply said there was no guarantee of temperament or type and I believe I said, assuming the breeder was sensible, I didn't see why that should be the case. The cockerpoos and labradoodles I've met certainly seem to follow a certain type, and have had lovely temperaments. Training...well that's surely a different thing altogether!

Now the question of unscrupulous breeders and ridiculously inflated prices I DO agree with you on, but that surely is also the case for purebred dogs too?

SpringArising

Visit site
If I were to buy a puppy then yes, I would be snobby about bloodlines and confo of parents. I know what I would want and I'm very fussy about breed standard.

That being said I also have a rescue dog and I have no idea what his parents looked like but I love the bones of him and he's awesome.

My preferred choice would be to rescue again and I would consider most things, but I'm not a fan of the 'poo' types that fetch upwards of 1k.

{97702}

Visit site
In my defence, those weren't the objections you raised on the original thread. You simply said there was no guarantee of temperament or type and I believe I said, assuming the breeder was sensible, I didn't see why that should be the case. The cockerpoos and labradoodles I've met certainly seem to follow a certain type, and have had lovely temperaments. Training...well that's surely a different thing altogether!

Now the question of unscrupulous breeders and ridiculously inflated prices I DO agree with you on, but that surely is also the case for purebred dogs too?

Yours wasn’t actually the comment I was meaning HR 😊

My personal experiences don’t demonstrate any ‘type’ in the cross breds being produced, but if you have seen a distinct type emerging that is good news IMO.

I think you make some very valid points here, I totally agree that “pure bred” dogs (and horses!) are also sold for ridiculously high prices usually (but not always!) by puppy farmer type breeders who are out to make money ☹️

I would always support having rescue dogs, there are already far too many dogs produced each year for the number of homes available, and I disagree with anyone (this is a general comment not aimed at anyone!) who thinks that a rescue wouldn’t be suitable for them. Having said that, I can also understand why people prefer to buy a puppy from a breeder.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
an awful lot I see seem to be 'pet' breeders, ie they happen to own a male and female of the same breed so..

They then use the 'parents are our own pets' as reasons to not have any health testing.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i dont have a problem with crossbreeds but its the hype around these poo crosses that get on my nerves. as i said on the other thread, most of the ones in my area are nutty....not the dogs fault, they dont get enough exercise or stimulation which is on the whole required with crosses between 2 very lively breeds.. and lots of them DO shed....i groomed a labradoodle for a friend and the floor was covered in his hairs. he had a lovely temperament but was very dim and as poodles and labs are intelligent dogs i dont know what happened to him....

{97702}

Visit site
That made me smile Splashgirl.... “lovely temperament but very dim”.... as I read it I was looking at Marty who is asleep in front of me, what an accurate description of him 😂 I suppose you don’t need much intelligence to run around a race track....😊😊

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I have a sprocker and a sprollie. Sprocker was purpose bred for working. Sprollie was a farm dog based accident. I believe they found out the bitch was pregnant when a chap came to scan the sheep and they decided to scan the "getting fat" bitch for a bit of a laugh. Ooops. The farm collie was chained up while she was in season... She scaled a 6ft wall to go see him. Anyways... my pup was cheap as chips and is an awesome cross but not for the faint hearted. He's pretty drivey (like his mother I suppose! Lol)

I have nothing against cross breeds. I have posted my thoughts on this before and got away without being told off... not risking it again. 😂

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
and lots of them DO shed....i groomed a labradoodle for a friend and the floor was covered in his hairs.

Tell me about it. I have a Labradoodle on the basis that my sister in law is severely allergic to dog fur so a 'non shedding' dog was a better option for us. Ha bl00dy ha. I have NEVER known a dog shed so much. As a dog though she is awesome. Incredibly well behaved. Combines the intelligence of a poodle with the trainability of a lab. And the friendliest, happiest dog I've ever known. She's 6 now and as playful as ever. I have 2 friends with timid dogs and Daisy is the only dog their dogs play with.

{97702}

Visit site
poor marty, he is working out what to do and will surprise you once he has decided if it will be stealing food off the counter or running off after his own lunch!!!!!

Oh he does both of those already - he has perfected the innocent ‘what me? I don’t know what you mean’ expression when I catch him bin-raiding or playing with something he has stolen 😂

catkin

Visit site

Absolutely agree with you on horse breeds, especially native ponies - buy from good breeders and be prepared to pay a fair price. It would be tragic to lose that heritage, and if the good breeders give up then there is so much knowledge lost.

I'm a bit more on the fence with dogs as we love our longdogs and the last two have been lurchers rather than pure-bred whippets.

meleeka

Visit site
I probably wouldn’t buy a purebred anything, given my experiences of the health issues of registered dogs. I agree that the fancy names and huge price tags a ridiculous but given that people happily pay it, I think I’m in the minority. Current dog cost £50 11 years ago from a small time breeder who bred carefully for temperament and is the best dog I’ve had, both for temperament and health.

Scarlett

Visit site
Mutts all the way here. Not 'poo' dogs though, no interest in them. Not sure I could handle the prey drive of a lurcher though I do like them. No real interest in any pure breeds either other than the bull breeds and maybe a GSP. Happy with rescues and cant see that changing.

Bull breed mixes for us. Boxer x Spaniel and Boxer x Staffy. One was an accidental mating who survived a termination, the other a rescue with a cleft lip. Absolutely superb dogs. Loved by everyone who meets them. Run about at the yard, perfect with kids, good with other dogs, brilliant in the house. The boxer x staffy is the best dog I have ever owned, for my life he is absolutely perfect and my constant companion. He came to us at 8 months having been abused. He was covered in cigarette burns where he had been used as an ashtray. The Boxer x Spaniel is a fab dog too, if I could clone him I would make millions.

I'd like a full boxer but would only have one through a rescue and, tbh, our staffy cross is so wonderful I will probably seek out another of them when the time comes to get another dog.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I have a "deliberate" cross breed so no snobbery here, although like others have said, its poor quality breeding of both crosses and purebreeds that is unlikable.

My dream dog is always a complete mutt of a terrier who couldn't be pinned down to a specific cross, but rescues wouldn't let me rehome and no one deliberately breeds those, so had to go with a first cross.

Personally I love surprises, no christmas list for me...so I like the randomness of mixes, whereas you get a Labrador puppy you know what it will look like as an adult, which is obviously useful but I like a lucky dip!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Lurchers are an old cross, bred for a job-the ones I've known have been lovely dogs although two had a fearsome prey drive so they'd be a breed I'd avoid personally, living where I do. I like mutts, but they are hard to find ime. although I get bored saying it, when it comes to health my last proper mutt was dead at 5 from epilepsy and had a host of food allergies.

Last edited:

HeyMich

Visit site
We have an accidental cross-breed (no poo in sight), or 'love child', as we like to call her. She cost us £70, she's now 12 years old, and going strong, will still walk/run for hours on end. We have friends with 12 yr old pure breed dogs of similar size and shape, and they are both struggling to walk to the bottom of the garden and getting incontinent. That says it all really - dirty mongrels all the way!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
That says it all really - dirty mongrels all the way!

it doesn though, it just means that you are lucky and they are less so. I've known pedigrees go on for a long time and some that don't, I've known mutts that do and don't-it goes back to the breeder and them knowing their lines and their dogs and then a myriad of other variables from conception onwards.