Are You A Bunny Hugger?

If you won a ticket, would you go in?

• Total voters

TGM

Visit site
With all the reference to "bunny huggers" on here recently I just wondered how we all rated in the "bunny hugging" stakes!

S_N

Visit site
I'm interested in some of the ideas, but then IMO, a lot of it is just good old common sense, that I have grown up with and take for granted!! An awful lot of it I find incredibley annoying though!!

sally2008

Visit site
Definately wouldn't describe myself as a bunny hugger! I prefer a more common sense approach and try and stick to the middle ground - if I have a problem with a horse I always try to rule out any physical reasons for non-cooperation, afterall they only have a few ways in which they can indicate something is amiss. I believe horses are pretty soical by nature and do put up with alot before they start to complain. Having done that, I would then feel justified to use discipline if I thought it necessary. Hopefully my horses' health and behaviour backs this up.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Totally agree SN, mostly just common sense marketed well.

I better not say too much, the last time I posted about this Kelly Marks or someone like that posted on here to disagree with me (and several others!!)!
crazy.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
!00% with SN and CC!

It's plain old common horse sense, nothing new at all. If everyone could take the time to watch their horses, they'd do it naturally themselves; no need to pay a fortune for it.

Sparklet

Visit site
To be honest I dont really care what bunny huggers do as long as they dont try to ram their way down your throat because it is the right way.

Someone at our yard was a BH and spent two years trying to get her horse loaded.........I made the mistake of offering to help her one day and she flipped her lid. Her way was right and 'me and my type force our horses into lorries and trailers against their will'.

Both my horses skip up the ramp and have never even needed to be encouraged.

darksided

Visit site
Rather just use what works best for that particular horse, whether it be NH ideas, or a more physical approach. But never violent.
But to be honest I'd really rather not ever use violence, unless it was a dangerous situation.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Works both ways though, my old old YM (about 3YMs ago) was awful 'the only way you can get that horse in there is to beat it' and my friends horse ended up breaking its back falling from being beaten trying to get it on! Though this same horrible man once grabbed a horse by the head in a chifney and sprayed a power hose in its face because it moved away when he was trying to hose it off and trod on him. hm.
PErsonally like i said, theres a mid way point, and thats where i am. I judge each horse and treat it accordingly

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm with you - I don't mind people being into NH etc but I won't have it rammed down my throat.
mad.gif
My horse used to be terrible to load but we worked through it with food as a bribe a few times. He is totally ruled by his tummy and he now knows if he goes on the trailer he gets a treat - in fact he now doesn't need one and has stopped looking for one, just goes up the ramp and stands nicely. I didn't need to pay a fortune for books and gadgets to get him loaded, just took time and patience (it's probably very un-NH to give your horse a treat for going into the trailer!!
blush.gif
smirk.gif
).

Parkranger

Visit site
I know a girl who is quite traditional in her ways but does incorporate alot of NH into how she trains/handles horses.

I agree that alot of NH is cleverly packaged commonsense but I learnt alot reading Kelly Marks books that wasn't just commonsense and went against what I would think was the 'right thing to do'.......

Sometimes the only thing that works is a crack on the bum and a schoolmistress voice though!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the only thing that works is a crack on the bum and a schoolmistress voice though!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that applies to men as well
wink.gif
grin.gif
Sorry, I apologise for lowering the tone
blush.gif
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO - you???? Lower the tone?????? NEVER
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
Its not really a choice between Natural Horsemanship and beating up the horse though is it? Most of us manage very well without either.

My only advice to anyone really is to take the time to create a good loader and dont save loading tuition until the day of the first show.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oi, cheeky!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

LMAO
grin.gif

It was just waiting to be said though wasn't it?! Don't tell me you didn't think it either!!
smirk.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
NO, I would never think such a thing!!

*sorry TGM*

dwi

Visit site
I ride bitless, barefoot on the back feet and I've had a monty roberts trainer out to deal with my horse.

Despite years of working at a riding school and having two horses on loan I was stuck with how to make progress with her behaviour when i first got her because it was so far away from anything that I had met before.

If she's naughty she still gets a smack but write off bunny hugging at your own cost. Bitless and IH techniques work for me in complementing years of BHS training.

Tia

Visit site
Excellent poll TGM! I found the results very interesting in that most of us voted that we are interested in NH/IH trails of thought - seems bizarre really that so many people on here would admit to that when the general consensus on here has always been that those sorts of people have something mentally wrong with them.

Curious also how so many are saying on this thread that NH is just common sense and yet the moment anyone puts up a post about it we see a completely different reaction.......which I often find that some people's reactions verge on them being quite aggressive!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I put option 2 - I do some of the games - but really they are common sense. On occasion I will resort to using a strap or a whip.

Sunday - Chancer learnt that going backwards and turning round on the long reins after being asked nicely several times to walk on = one smack up the backside with the schooling whip - instantly cured and not repeated his evasion. No, he was not frightened, just wanted to get back to the nice grass he had to walk past. He had done this the week before, hence why this time I was prepared with a whip to ask him to move on as flicking the side reins and verbal commands were ignored.

There are times when no matter how nicely you ask, you occasionally have to be a little more stern with your requests, especially with a very clever and occasionally bolshy cob.