Are you running a small/local horse show this summer?

J&S

Visit site
I am involved with a small local show that has run for 46 years, this year being 47th, we are hoping to all last the course till 50 years!
What I am wondering, and I can't find any evidence on line as yet, is would you put on the schedule that passports showing up to date vaccinations are necessarry? All clubs and societies, and venues that I receive news from require passports to be viewed before unloading so should this be the case for shows? I am aware that proof of vaccinations are required for qualifiers at bigger shows as a matter of course but we do not hold any qualifiers. What are any of you doing/thinking about doing? We may loose some entrants but my opinion is that those who are fully vaccinated and come to the show would perhaps feel happier knowing that we were enforcing this regulation.

Reactions: DD

Shay

Visit site
Will you have the volunteers to do so? If you want to enforce a passport check before unloading (and quite rightly so) you'll need two volunteers on the gate to check the passport and quickly check in the box to be sure the horse you have a passport for is the horse on the transport.

If not you might do better to go wth an honesty statement about everyone being responsible and ensuring vaccinations are up to date. Better not to riase any expectaions!

minesadouble

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't make any hasty decisions. I think at local level you would lose a substantial amount of entries and by Summer it may have been almost forgotten about - but who knows...

Kaylum

Visit site
Passports shown when entering and collecting your numbers at most places now even low level dressage, show jumping. My friend was sent away as her vaccinations weren't up to date.

J&S

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't make any hasty decisions. I think at local level you would lose a substantial amount of entries and by Summer it may have been almost forgotten about - but who knows...
That is what i would like to think!

J&S

Visit site
Will you have the volunteers to do so? If you want to enforce a passport check before unloading (and quite rightly so) you'll need two volunteers on the gate to check the passport and quickly check in the box to be sure the horse you have a passport for is the horse on the transport.

If not you might do better to go wth an honesty statement about everyone being responsible and ensuring vaccinations are up to date. Better not to riase any expectaions!
Ok, so something like: "we will expect all entrants to have had their equines fully vaccinated in line with current regulations"?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I help run a fairly large riding club and we aren’t asking for passports at shows as because they are enter on the day it is almost impossible to police what horses are on the field - and to confirm the passport belongs to the specific horse... if a policy is impossible to police it is pointless to have

J&S

Visit site
I help run a fairly large riding club and we aren’t asking for passports at shows as because they are enter on the day it is almost impossible to police what horses are on the field - and to confirm the passport belongs to the specific horse... if a policy is impossible to police it is pointless to have
Agreed! And a lot of extra work to boot.

little_critter

Visit site
If you don't have the resources to check all passports, how about a statement like "horses and ponies attending the show are required to have up to date flu jabs, we will be doing spot checks and those found not to be up to date or who cannot provide a passport will be asked to leave the show immediately"
Hopefully the risk of being asked to leave will put some non-jabbers off.

J&S

Visit site
If you don't have the resources to check all passports, how about a statement like "horses and ponies attending the show are required to have up to date flu jabs, we will be doing spot checks and those found not to be up to date or who cannot provide a passport will be asked to leave the show immediately"
Hopefully the risk of being asked to leave will put some non-jabbers off.
Yes, something along those lines is a good thought. Thanks.

WelshD

Visit site
The shows I have seen locally so far have had the venue drive the decision as opposed to the show organiser.
If you aren't renting a venue then you can make your own rules. I think the statement by Little_Critter above sounds good

Visit site
Have a look on Facebook for Puddledub shows. Whilst they do not insist on vaccs as the venues the shows are being held at dont it does have a good, sensible statement about bio-security and common sense basically.

J&S

Visit site
Have a look on Facebook for Puddledub shows. Whilst they do not insist on vaccs as the venues the shows are being held at dont it does have a good, sensible statement about bio-security and common sense basically.
Thank you, iIwill check that out.

Merrymoles

Visit site
A local livery yard has said they will be checking passports by people attending clinics, shows etc. They have a business to protect so makes sense to me.

J&S

Visit site
A local livery yard has said they will be checking passports by people attending clinics, shows etc. They have a business to protect so makes sense to me.
Yes, of course, at a venue it is to be expected. Our horse show is out in a farmer's field, not a commercial yard.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I like the statement about having vaccinations in line with current (BEF? AHT?)guidelines, and perhaps a link to where the guidelines are, so people can follow them if they change? I also like random checks to be seen as Little Critter said, as then it may put people off travelling if they are not covered.

I would not worry too much about losing people, at the moment I am only going places that DO check passports, so by not doing something you could also lose competitors lime myself.

J&S

Visit site
I like the statement about having vaccinations in line with current (BEF? AHT?)guidelines, and perhaps a link to where the guidelines are, so people can follow them if they change? I also like random checks to be seen as Little Critter said, as then it may put people off travelling if they are not covered.

I would not worry too much about losing people, at the moment I am only going places that DO check passports, so by not doing something you could also lose competitors lime myself.
Thank you, for your thoughts and suggestions.

Darbs

Visit site
I am helping organise a local show (on farmers fields) and we don't have any plan to check passports. It's a few months away and the flu issue may have blown over by then, plus we just don't have the volunteer resources to to it effectively. My theory is that the unvaccinated horses wil have been exposed long before they get to our show by attending other events.