Are your horses Vaccinated? & Do you always booster?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Now my friend has never had her horses boosters done and has owned the horse for 12 years...

I, however, am anal about doing it-

What do you all do?

hellspells

Visit site
I am religious about it, always have been - I can't understand people that don't, even if its just Tet. I think those people who don't bother should be shown the thread below re that poor colt who was Euthed this am. I rember being told by someone where I live "I don't because we don't have tetanus in the soil" - I was speechless for quite some time - and thats very unusal!

I am fully aware that vaccs are not 100% and your horse can still pick up strains of flu etc but those are generally much milder and still a better option that not doing it at all.

1275gta

Visit site
Don't have any of ours done and ha ve never had a problem in 30 years.

We did have one done for flu about ten years ago to go to one particular show and it nearly killed him so we only go to shows that don't require them to be vacinated.

newtonpark

Visit site
not even Tet Jabs??
crazy.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
Yes, done for everything every year. I know that theoretically tetanus only needs to be done every two years but it's easier and safer to have it done every year. I saw a pony die of tetanus years ago before vaccination was the norm, it was horrible and I think JM07's post about the colt with tetanus says it all.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Always!
I think it's fair to say I am anal about having them done having seen first hand the stress and trauma Tetanus leaves behind.
My foals will all have had their second jab well before they are weaned just to make sure they are protected once off the mare.

Solstar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
flu booster every year & tetanus every 2

[/ QUOTE ]

same here for my two- part of my livery contract and IMO, if it helps protect my boys, it's money well spent.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Yes, mine were done for flu and tet, but I chose not to do them against strangles after a little research into it when it first came on the market, and I spoke to a rep.
It seems that I made the right decision....
S
grin.gif

pinktiger

Visit site
as a duty of care not just to my horse, but, other peoples horses also!!!
ALWAYS have them done without question!! is so inexpensive and easy to do, there are without doubt NO excusses NOT to have them done!!! esp if in the competition world!!!!

lexiedhb

Visit site
yes when I had mine he was done every year, and my share horse is also.......... always wondered though why after an initial course humans need a booster every 10 years or so, but horses need one every 1-2 years........ Immunology never was my strong point, dispite taking a module in it at uni!

Foxford

Visit site
When I got my 2yo he hadn't had any vaccinations! So he is on the starter course and will be having his second one this week. An expensive business for the first year, but well worth it.

Leg_end

Visit site
My lad is done every year without fail - as others have said I don't see why anyone wouldn't do theirs, even if it is just tetanus that you do.

Completely irresponsible to not have Tet done as a bare minimum IMO.

alsxx

Visit site
I have both done, I would never dream about not having them done, the consequences are not worth thinking about.

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
Flu every year, tetanus every 2 on vet's recommendation & EHV every 6 months for herpes. Like the others, always have & do now even though mare gone to stud.

Eaglestone

Visit site
My two are done without fail .... the only time my old boy's was delayed was when the Vet said to me 'Is it worth lt
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
) .... but I am glad to say that 4 months later the Vet thought it was
smile.gif
smile.gif
and now over two years on he is still with me
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

However this year my old boy had a reaction and his temperature went up and he was 'not right' for a week or so, but am happy to say that he is now
smile.gif

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
funny, I had the vet today for this. We bought a sec b mare who is 7 last week and has never had a single jab in her life, till today... All mine are done, you come into contact with too many strange horses when you're competing not to.

Shantor1

Visit site
My horse is vacc for flu and tet. Always done it and we have to as many equestrian centres require it where we compete. Not much choice but I primarily do it for his welfare.

StarFell

Visit site
My horse is vaccinated and has his booster every year. I wouldn't want to take the risk of not getting him done, my friends pony died of tetanus because he wasn't vaccinated
crazy.gif

Chunkie

Visit site
Have had this done religiously with all of my horses and would never consider not doing it.

However my old gelding only had Tetanus after he was around 25 - vet said that was ok.

I have also seen a horse die from Tetanus, and I can't see any excuse for not vaccinating against it.

Judie

Visit site
Having lost a horse to tetanus, and it is a horrible way to die I can assure you, it must have been 30 years ago and I can still see the look in the mares eyes, I would never risk not having it done, ever...

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My horse is vacinated every year im not sure whats in it but I know he has it annually! I suppose thats not vey good that i dont know exactley what it is for! What do the annual boosters include?