are zebra fly rugs a modern invention or as old as the hills?

paddy555

Visit site
I thought this photo (which I have only just found) was so interesting it was worth posting. The horses even have fly masks and neck covers.
Year 1925/26, horses Mancha and Gato, rider A. Tschiffely. Location presumably in some bug ridden part of the S. American jungle.
176619913_4004587719605272_5988397446469915375_n.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I thought this photo (which I have only just found) was so interesting it was worth posting. The horses even have fly masks and neck covers.
Year 1925/26, horses Mancha and Gato, rider A. Tschiffely. Location presumably in some bug ridden part of the S. American jungle.
View attachment 76592

How interesting!

Willowbankstables

Visit site
View attachment 76592
Wow, I love this! So interesting to see :)

Zuzan

Visit site
I've read an abridged version of the story. Just a thought, do you think it might be vampire bats they were being protected from?

I think vampire bats use scent / heat not sight and crawl along the ground so the first thing they would latch onto would be a horses legs.. assuming it was standing..

littleshetland

Visit site
View attachment 76592
My first thought was 'escaped convicts....'!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

J&S

Visit site
Buy iy! Buy it! I have atleast two editions of this book, just wonderful. There is also another version called " A tale of two horses" which is written from the point of view of Mancha and Gato. He also wrote a book called Bridle Paths where he goes around the UK on a borrowed horse.......... he had got bored of sitting in his office! I particularly like the fact that he took some silk pyjamas in his travelling kit........ stylish or what!

paddy555

Visit site
Buy iy! Buy it! I have atleast two editions of this book, just wonderful. There is also another version called " A tale of two horses" which is written from the point of view of Mancha and Gato. He also wrote a book called Bridle Paths where he goes around the UK on a borrowed horse.......... he had got bored of sitting in his office! I particularly like the fact that he took some silk pyjamas in his travelling kit........ stylish or what!

I've got T's ride and also A tale of two horses which is well worth a read. Easier to read than the ride one (which is brilliant) as it relates very much to horses. Go on TP, you know you want to. :p Try the kindle "read the first bit free" to get you in the mood.

Amazing to think that it is now almost 100 years ago and yes, little Shetland, escaped convicts do come to mind. :D:D

J&S

Visit site
Yes, nearly 1000 years old and he already had problems with the traffic when he got to "civilisation"!

exracehorse

Visit site
There are copies on eBay for 4.99. And a very old hard back for 20. I’m actually intrigued as never heard of this book.