Arena Eventing... What to expect and taking a 'special' one?

SuperCoblet

Visit site
At the end of January a local-ish place has an arena eventing competition, I think I want to go :D
Now, gypsy being gypsy, he's not too good with skinnys out on the xc field, never done it in an arena. He will get over them, just takes time! The place is regulary used for youngsters at their weekly SJ competitions to gain experience so they don't get buzzed out if they have a wobbly at a fence or two because they need to go over it, I was thinking if asking them if we could have extra time because if he runs out however many timed he will then be a ***** and never learn and take the pee even more.

So, how many skinny jumps would there be around, if were only doing the smallest class (2'6 I think) and how many jumps are there?!?!
Also do you think if I ask nicely they will let me have extra time And bot get out? :D

Thanks in advance :)

titch

Visit site
Arena eventing can vary a lot between show centres. Some use actual XC fences, others will be more like a WH course.

If you say where you are thinking of going, someone local may be able to tell you more about their courses :)

skint1

Visit site
My daughter once took her mare to an "Eventer's Challenge" class at Summerhouse Equestrian Centre in Gloucestershire. If I recall, it was a combination of show jumps (one with a water tray) with some rustics thrown in, is that what you mean?

If not, at least I have kept it bumped for you :D

nikCscott

Visit site
I can't help as I'm in the same boat going to and Eventer Training at Allens Hill end of month, but never been before so have no clue what to expect and have done very little XC and didn't think we've ever even jumped a skinny before.

See how busy it is and explain you're on a green horse etc can't hurt to ask. I'd also say don't ride the course like you expecting problems at certain fences, ride it like you WILL go clear and do your damnedest to make it happen .

Good luck!

SuperCoblet

Visit site
Thanks everyone :)
We have to book and we get set times, so do you think if I say in the email I'm on a green horse and ask if I could have a bit more time to get him around?
I tell you what, I'll email now before booking then if they say yes then I will book, tadaaah! :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
Is there not a clear round class?

We took BH arena eventing as his first ever show (bit mean as he'd only been jumping about a month!) and he was very good. There was only one skinny in the tiny class and nothing too scary. I've got a photo of him somewhere. I'll find it :)

If you know the owners are friendly then definitely worth asking if they don't mind you making sure you get round. I find a lot of the places round here are very good like that and if you don't ask you don't get :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Apparently this was very scary!

I think this was the 2 foot class?

DSC03184.jpg

Last edited:

Rb1

Visit site
Arena eventing courses that I have seen are quite long, like 15-25 jumps, they are sometimes a set of show jumps then onto a course of XC (or working hunter style) jumps or sometimes they are mixed up, however this will all vary between centres. There will probably be at least a couple of skinny jumps. Maybe ask if you could go HC at the end of a class if there is no clear round? I did that a few times with my young pony and they are normally more willing to help I think too :)

Last edited: