Arena Maintenance Advice

Carlosmum

Visit site
A friend has a 20 x 40 Out door arena, sand and rubber. It was a re-surface about 4/5 years ago. However, it is now in serious need of some attention. Is there such a person as an independent consultant/contractor who would go and give advice on how to repair said arena? The last re-fill was not a very good job, despite it being a well known company. It would need to be someone who could come in with the necessary kit, get everything mixed properly again and leave them with a maintenance program. South of England....

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
One of the biggest issues with arenas is the way in which they are originally installed and the underlying drainage of them. If this is not done correctly then the surface will never function correctly. In many cases if there are issues one is better off having the whole arena re-built as it not possible to rectify a badly built one.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What is wrong with the arena as it is now?

The rubber layer is supposed to sit over the sand, they don't really mix.

Charles Britton do arena troubleshooting. They constructed my sand and rubber arena 11 years ago, and it has been faultless.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Apparently the sand is crusted and gone hard, the rubber sits on top but now gives a slippery surface. My gut feeling is it needs a deep harrowing ( the farmer in me) but I think the friend and her team are a little hesitant they might do more damage.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You may well be right.

What regular maintenance such as levelling have they been doing on the arena up to now? I level mine with an Arenamate leveller with tines, as and when needed. My surface is 5" of sand topped with 2" of rubber, so it would have to be a very deep harrow to get through that to reach the membrane.