Arena Sizes - what do you have?

Jnhuk

Visit site
Further to my previous thread been having a serious think re arena and sizes and location.

Anyone got an usual size arena that works for them?

Obviously I would love a 40 x 30 or larger but have limited space and money.

Anyone got a square arena approx 25 x 25m or 30 x 30m?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is 30 X 30. That was as big as the front garden was!

It is not ideal, can't do much jumping, and it always feel like you are turning when schooling, not doing straight lines.

It is my school though, and I love it. I use it for schooling, and in winter it is my turn out pen.

TBF I have produced several eventers, one Intermediate, 3 Nov and One BE100. I tend to hire once a week or so when prepping. That is no bad thing anyway, as we go to different places and practice loading, and hire gallops as well as arenas.

For 25 X 25 it would be more of a lunge type pen, and you would be forever in circles, but with 30 X 30 at least you can do fig 8s, and some lateral work. I have ridden several long arena tests (well, you know, adapted!) and it makes the arenas in the actual competition feel spacious.

atropa

Visit site
20x40 - slightly too tight for my liking but can't deny that I can get decent work out of my horse in it and useful for practicing dressage tests
40x40 - fab for jumping and practicing individual schooling movements with a bit more freedom of space.
I'd go as big as you possibly can, there's nothing worse than feeling cramped and like you can't get your horse going properly due to space