Arena surface companies- legal action?

silvershadow81

Visit site
apologies in advance, this may turn out a long post but we are at our whits end and Really not sure how to proceed....

2 1/2 years ago we had Hymas arena install our arena at home. They came and did a site survey, quoted, I did the planning and then they constructed it, advised on maintenance equipment- which we then bought a grader and quad to ensure it was totally suitable and we could keep it good.

a month later we contacted them and said it was riding deep- no replies so chased down and we were told to purchase more fibre- so we paid them and they had Equestrian Surfaces to deliver is an additional bale and we spread and levelled it.

we were told they can take a while to settle, so put up with it. Arena is used by one horse and spent more time on the quad than riding the horse In there!

Spring asked Equestrian Surfaces how much fibre should be in an arena our size- as it was still riding Inconstantly unstable (like a ball pit) they advised another bale- which we purchased and added...

This still didn’t resolve the issue, we were told it needed water- so water it had- load of it, which didn’t help.

contacted Hymas five more times, was told someone would be in touch- nothing

purchased another fibre bale to try!

so asked Equestrian Surfaces to come to check it- they said the fibres hadn’t been distributed evenly, so suggested they come out and re do this- so they quoted, we paid and the work was done with the surface power harrowed and levelled.

zero reply from hymas

The surface work made no difference, so another visit from Equestrian Surfaces who said the sand didn’t look right and took samples.
Samples back and were told the sand was not the correct equestrian grade.....

notified Hymas of this discovery which did prompt a response..... that they wanted their own sand analysis done- by the supplier of the sand- Mansfield Sand.... we agreed.

mansfield sand came out and took samples..... they have said there is nothing wrong with the sand.....

we have asked Hymas to come out to see for themselves and suggest a route forward, we have had zero response again.

we are absolutely so incredibly FED UP with this useless and VERY expensive arena!!

I have accounts of every spend, correspondence and desperate for it to be resolved.

I just wondered if anyone can advise?? Is there a membership body we can get advice from? Has anyone taken an arena company to court before??
Anything?! X

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I'm no expert, but if you mix fibre in with silica sand it should stabilise it. Did you have just sand originally? I had a (pure) beach sand arena years ago - useless in summer but as soon as it stayed wet, it had fabulous going. I strongly suspect the sand is the issue. Maybe send a sample to Andrews Bowen for their take on it? I upgraded to a complete new Equestrian Surfaces 'Economy Track' and that was in 2003 - still performing superbly. Good Lord I have realised my arena was installed in 1988 and the 'new' surface been down 18 years...

silvershadow81

Visit site
Thanks for your reply.
we had 7 bales of fibre with sand initially. ES said we needed 9 bales for the size of arena, we have since added another three... so it has 10 now.. we do not believe it is lack of fibre.

ruth83

Visit site
If you are a BHS member, utilise their legal helpline for advice. If not, look at your horse/house/car insurance and see if there is a legal helpline linked.

Make sure all contact with both companies (Hymas and Equestrian Surfaces) is done via email with read receipts so you have a full record.

Advise Hymas that you intend to have the sand analysed by an independent third party and see what their response it.

JoannaC

Visit site
It does take quite a long time for an arena to settle down but should be okay after the first Winter. We had ours done in that really hot summer with no rain and it wasn't really good to ride until the following year once it had been rained on plenty. I roll ours rather than harrow and had to do it loads to begin with but now only occasionally.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am surprised if Mansfield Sand has delivered the wrong sand, we had a FAB arena off them, although it was many years ago.

I would get the sand independently assessed.

As an aside, you can stabilise the sand with black ash and rubber. It made our arena (cheap done, good in winter - rubbish in summer) a proper all round surface.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I would definitely get someone independent to look at the sand. Equestrian silica sand should be irregular shaped grains so they knit together to form a stable surface helped along by fibre or rubber. Round grains of silica will ride deep. Who knows what's going on if not even good when wet even unsuitable sand should be ok when wet enough.

silvershadow81

Visit site
I would definitely get someone independent to look at the sand. Equestrian silica sand should be irregular shaped grains so they knit together to form a stable surface helped along by fibre or rubber. Round grains of silica will ride deep. Who knows what's going on if not even good when wet even unsuitable sand should be ok when wet enough.

thanks, does anyone know anyone who is dependent from all surface companies who could independently analyse our sand?