ARGH 2pm and no sigh of owners (warning contains another rant!)

samsaccount

Visit site
I appologise for all these rants about my livery!

I have been on the yard since around 7 this morning, only to leave the yard a few times to make a cuppa, my dad reamined on the yard and the liverys have not come up to see their mare yet, now half 2!! She was left out last night, was brought in the night before, and was left out the night before that. I was on the yard the latter night very early therefore my boy came in earlier, left the lights on for them to bring her in, went out at 10pm ish and the lights were still on... obvious no-one had come onto the yard since i left, and no-one has come up today. Very annoying when people don't come up to even see this horse! It just seem to happen too frequently, therefore I have ruled out that 'something is wrong' (although i certainly hope nothing is wrong).

Argh, why do people have a horse if they cannot be commited to it.

Sorry, probably well out of line but very annoyed!

Blizzard

Visit site
Are they actually asking you to leave lights on for them etc though?
Or are they telling you she will be in/out?

I suppose if she is living out they may not see the need to come up for a certain time if they arent going to ride etc and are just going to check on her.

Tia

Visit site
I'm sorry, but I really can't see what the big deal is here. I generally only see most of my liveries, grass liveries at that, once a month on the day the rent needs paying.

You obviously don't like this lady and are perhaps becoming a little obsessed now since you have started laying traps for her to see whether she comes.

Why not just ask her to leave? She is obviously giving you stress which you quite clearly don't need and can't cope with. Either that or take over the feeding, management etc of the horse and charge her extra if it worries you that much?

I don't give a poo whether my liveries come up or not; I still give the horses the human contact they wish and they would be quite happy even if I didn't to be frank.

sojeph

Visit site
I sometimes don't see my nags for a few days. I like to see them everday but sometimes for one reason or another don't. Mine live out 24/7, are fenced in and have a huge trough of water. They are at a friends place and although she doesn't specifically check on them as such she would notice if something was wrong and let me know as I'm sure you would your livery. Therefore, I'd say if the horse was happy, healthy and had its basic requirements then I wouldn't worry too much.
If your worried I would ring up just to make sure there is no problem though to put your mind at rest. What sort of livery is she on? and who bought the horse in?

samsaccount

Visit site
She has said she doesn't want me to feed her horse etc which I understand and respect, several times I have been left in a situation where I have to feed the horse etc as they have not turned up. No-one turned up last night to see her as she was not fed, and has not come up yet. She told me that my horse causes problems if she brings hers in before and asked me when I was on the yard so we bring them in at the same time, and now she is occasionaly fed and they asked me if we could have the hay in haynets in the field, which i am happy about but they do not hay them and then complain when she has no hay.

samsaccount

Visit site
Sopeph, they are extreamly hard to contact, don't answer the phone etc therefore I have to rely on writing letters! So unfortunatly if something were to happen with her horse I would be unable to let her know
frown.gif

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
What a nightmare!! I would echo tia IF the horse was living out but to be demanding the horse to have hay and feed BUT tell you now to hay and feed them, and then not turn up, its just ridiculous!! Honestly i would ask them to leave, they sound like they're causing you way too much hassle

Tia

Visit site
Have I got you mixed up with someone else? Is this lady the one who is heavily pregnant and about to have a baby? Just trying to put a face to the name so-to speak.

samsaccount

Visit site
Just gets to me that she tells me she will do everything, feed, etc. Which i am happy with as it is her horse, but not happy that she asks me not to do anything with her horse but does not come up to do it herself, I do not hay in the field as my lad is on a night and could do with him having less intake during the day so it is her who wants her horse to be hayed but won't do it herself, the haynets have not been touched in over a week.

Jellicle

Visit site
If she had a baby a week ago I'm not surprised that her routine is out of whack! If you think the horse is okay (not hungry or cold or thirsty) then I would let it pass for now.

filly190

Visit site
I remember your previous posts about this lady and your problems with getting in touch with her. It seems this situation has been going on a long time now and you are getting to the end of your tether with her.

If her horse being out is not presenting any problems, I would be tempted to just let her get on with it.

If she is causing you problem/stress or you are not happy with the arrangement, as I mentioned before get rid of her. Get someone in who is nice and can be good company for you to ride with etc.

You dont have to keep this woman if it is not suiting you, lots of people are so much easier to get along with.

samsaccount

Visit site
Jllicle, a few days she would bring her in at 2pm because she says she is bored other days she isn't brought in at all and some days no-one come up to see her, and sometimes is left without been feed for a night and as I have previously stated don't have hay in the field because she doesn't put it in, yet wants her horse to have hay. This is how things were before she had the baby also.

spaniel

Visit site
If this is a long standing thing and not just a pregnancy and birth thing then I wouldnt want them on a yard of mine.

Im shocked actually that people on grass livery feel its not necessary to check their horses at least once a day! (Unless you are paying for someone else to do that for you).

Perhaps its me??
confused.gif

Tia

Visit site
Well to give her her dues, generally all livery owners are required by their insurance companies to check on ALL horses on their land a minimum of once in every 24 hour period. Imperium, as owner of the land, will likely be governed by this from her insurance company.

For me this situation would not give me the slightest cause for concern, to be honest. When I was doing my evening checks on the horses I'd just throw hay out for her horse every night regardless. But it is a big deal for Imperium so the easiest way to remedy the problem is to get rid of the problem.......ie the lady.

Imperium, if I remember correctly, this lady has irritated you from the word "go" so perhaps now is the time to break ties with her.

the watcher

Visit site
24 hour checks are all very well, but they are the absolute minimum..in general terms, if a horse injures itself, any wound becomes much more difficult to treat if it is more than 8 hours old..especially torn flesh so ideally every horse should be checked at least twice daily (and more than a look over the fence).

On these grounds, the owner failing to make an appearance is unacceptable, especially if they cannot be readily contacted in an emergency.

I think personally it is time to draw an end to this agreement.

samsaccount

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
when i kept my mare out all summer i didnt always go to check her every night just asked someone to make sure she was alright

[/ QUOTE ]

But you ask someone to check her which is okay. During the week my lad is out at 6ish and it is stil dark and 9/10 her horse is in the second field if she is left out over night so I don't see her on a morning, as her owners come up around 9-12ish (I am persuming). But i have actually never been asked to check on her, apart from over xmas when they were not going to come up for around 3 days.

Thank you all for your advice, sorry about all of this must be annoying you!

Tia

Visit site
It's not annoying at all...for us; but I fear it is for you, so you're best bet is to send her a letter of notice and be done with her.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Mine, on the whole live out all year round 24hrs. But whether they are in or out I always check them twice a day. I can't imagine not doing so, I'd be worried sick. There's been times when their rug has broken is hanging rount their neck, they've cut themselves badly, one has escaped etc. Imagine what would happen if they'd been like that for 36hrs before I bothered to visit?

On the other hand, I'm not on a livery yard, just rent fields so it is my responsibility to do everything.

If I was running a yard and offering grass livery I would get all owners to read and sign my Terms & Conditions as to whether I would check the horses once/twice per day or they would, and this would be reflected in the price.

Tell your livery that you need a chat, sort out the above and if she doesn't think she can stick to it, give her notice

smallbutgreat

Visit site
have you laid your conditions and expectations down clearly and agreed them with the livery?

Personally, I am NOT prepared to visit our horse every day. We did this in the early years: my work, my daughters' studies and our desire for a life in addition to horses would now make this impossible. When moving to our current yard I was very clear on this. I told the owner we would generally visit four times a week, and if this was a problem, speak now and we would look elsewhere.

He is very happy, and the care and condition of our horse is examplary. We are very committed to her, and spend a lot of time with her ... just not every day. However, we do still encounter some bitching from other liveries who choose to spend all their free time at the yard. This sort of talk can be a real downside to horse owning, but because we have agreed ground rules it is no longer an issue between us.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I really would give her the rules you wish to have for your premises, and if she does not follow them, then notice to leave.

When my horses are living out, they are checked twice a day - either by myself or I pay the YO to do it.

To leave a horse unchecked for several days unless there is a crisis is not right even if they do have water and grass available.

At our yard we have to give home and mobile numbers so we can be contacted at any time. If we are not going to be up on a particular day, we must inform the YO so he will check them and charge a small fee - £1 to feed, spray and check them twice a day in my case.

You seem very unhappy with the situation, I personally would be looking to find someone more in line with the ways you want things done.