Argh! PPID, marketing and can the world just do one please?

PapaverFollis

I'm an idiot.

So have suspected Granny might be crossing the line into PPID for a bit. But she hasn't shown any obvious symptoms so have just kept her low sugar, low starch and kept an eye on her. Especially as I didn't really have any symptoms, just a hunch. I started feeding a cushings specific feed because it looked good and she needed a bit of weight on (she also needs something tasty as she gets bute for arthritis and she was eating it happily)

Last few weeks she's started drinking more and peeing loads. Ok. Time for the vet. So will call tomorrow for an appointment.

In the mean time I started to have a bit of a Google about PPID. And I find mention that one study has found that chaste tree berries can hasten/worsen the symptoms... what's in the cushings specific feed I'm feeding?? Chaste effing berries!

For the love of everything! I'm angry and sad and feel stupid and defeated now. To be fair though it's probably nothing to do with the chaste tree berries. It was only one study after all. It might not even be PPID, other delights it could be are tumours or kidney failure amount other things.

I just feel like you can't win can you?

What were we saying about keeping things simple again?

Will be cancelling that feed from my feed order and rethinking what she gets instead!

*insert many profanities*

Poor Granny horse. ☹

SEL

Poor you! Granny horse will be fine if it isn't Cushings and the vet will sort her if it is.

Although I'm with you on the 'can't win right now'. We have raised liver enzymes again - no flippin idea why. Maybe I should start googling everything I feed and its effect on the liver - but I'd probably end up shooting myself :-(

PapaverFollis

☹ I think living in blissful ignorance might be the way forward. Is that the big guy? Or your mare? You're having a time of it this winter too!

Cups of tea and sympathy all round.

Micky

.Or it could be EMS..bloomin frustrating for you, mine is ppid, never considered all these miracle cushings feeds that have come on the market, just kept it simple chop speedibeet salt linseed n vit e in winter..plus soaked hay and prascend..blood test will tell you wether it’s ppid.. ems is a different test and different pills!

_HP_

Cushcare?...
This annoys me. my vet recommended this feed for my PPID mare despite it containing Chaste tree berries which is not advisable while using pergolide. And actually, the feed company are careful not to !mention PPID in their description of the feed despite the name

PapaverFollis

Yup. My thinking was that it's low sugar, low starch with oil for condition... lovely, she doesn't get a huge amount anyway and there's some herbal guff in it but generally I ignore that other than it might make it taste nicer. Should have looked up chaste tree berries. I will be replacing it with a feed from a different company! It's frustrating because she was eating it with the Bute in quite happily and she's a fussy madam. I don't think I'll get away with just speedibeet and chaff.

SEL

☹ I think living in blissful ignorance might be the way forward. Is that the big guy? Or your mare? You're having a time of it this winter too!

Cups of tea and sympathy all round.
The mare....always the flippin mare!! I would assume Cushcare is good for cushings too - clue being the name really.

Chocolate digestives for those of us with the more challenging 4-leggeds

PapaverFollis

I'm thinking of stealing the Welsh D at the yard whose only requirement in life seems to be a tall friend with a rug on who he can stick his head underneath when it rains! 😂 He'd probably develop some complex health issue if he came to live with me though so maybe I'll just leave him to his current owner and just admire his toughness from a distance.

Hmmmm, choccy biccies.

Lindylouanne

PF sorry to hear granny is causing you some angst but don't beat yourself up about the chaste berries. If you haven't already seen it there is a good FB group called ECIR - Equine Cushing and insulin resistance. A lot of very good sensible advice.

blodwyn1

I feed my Cushing's mare cushcare condition with no problems, she is on half a tablet of prascend and last blood test showed her acth levels as normal.