Argh! Selfish rider rant!

becca1305

Visit site
Just driving home now and came upon a woman on her horse pottering down the country road. She was wearing high vis :) which is about the only thing positive I can find to say about her!

We slowed down well in advance & followed her staying way back as we met her just before a corner, she turned looked back and saw the cars and kept plodding along. Fine absolutely her right to do so I would have trotted on in her position but for all I know horse is recovering from injury etc etc or even if all ok its still her right not to and fair enough.

She then didnt wave us on when she could see the road ahead was clear- perfectly straight for a good way after corner, again fine because you have to be entirely sure its clear to do so & I dont blame her if she chooses never to wave cars past just in case. Each to their own on that one.

However then when we finally drove past her after the corner, slow and very wide, instead of thanking us she proceeded to positively glower at us!! :mad: I was about to get out and politely ask her to please thank cars that treat her considerately because otherwise it will be me or some other poor soul who gets the driver that waited patiently last time, got glowered at and so feels pissed off and doesnt bother next time! (im not saying its right to do so but that doesnt mean it wont happen!). However I promptly suffered a coughing attack (chest infection, was on way back from doctors) and by the time I'd finished coughing we turned off to home and it was too late. It really got my blooming hackles up though, despite everything else its just unacceptably rude! Her horse was merrily plodding along but even if she didnt want to take her hand off the reins just smile and nod!! instead of glaring at people who couldnt have shown you more consideration! Arghh what is wrong with people?!! Riders round here are usually great at thanking considerate drivers, are rude riders an oddity round everyone else? Or is this more the norm than I realise? :(
Oops, rant over!

maisie06

Visit site
I would write to the local paper - and plaster it all over facebook. I had a problem with a rude rider like this, and lately she has been better as she has been embarrassed by her rude behaviour and now realises no one will put up with it!

Mithras

Visit site
tbh if all she did is glower at you, I wouldn't get that bothered about it.

Also, I was taught when driving not to rely on other people's assessment of when its safe to overtake, but my own, if driving.

HHO is very strict these days. How much of someone's facial expression can you really see when driving a car to make such a judgement? I'm loving the suggestion of the rider in question being castigated in the local newspaper for glowering! In fact, this is possibly one of my favourite threads ever on HHO!

hoggedmane

Visit site
I was told not to wave cars past as if there is an accident it could be your fault and insurance would be invalid.

tafyx

Visit site
totally agree, rude riders really upset me as i have to ride up a very busy road to get anywhere else. i always put my hand up, nod if i cant have a hand free etc. its always worth putting some extra work in with your horse as well so you can pull in if needed and they can stand patiently to let people pass. my horse is so good at it now he does it of his own accord most of the time. we all want to be safe and i hear of some horrific accidents, so lets invite people to be nice to us by being polite. :)

becca1305

Visit site
Yes as I say each to their own on waving past and a driver might not want to go on a wave anyway, thats fair enough.

I wasnt driving I was in the passenger seat so could see very clearly the whopping frown on her face as she glared down at us! In response yes I wouldnt report her to a paper because it was a one time occurance (so far!) and she didnt actually do anything, it was the lack of response that was rude. Its not the glaring I take issue with (thats more of a ??? why? It looked like she thought we shouldnt be on the road! But of course thats interpretable) but not thanking a considerate driver it only takes a second of your time. Sorry but I always thank drivers who are considerate and think others should do the same both out of good manners and because surely we should be encouraging considerate driving!

becca1305

Visit site
Tafyx- totally agree, of course its about knowing your horse; one of mine I can stop safely to the side on a grass verge if ive been holding traffic up a while and trotting on wont help, the other i can only stop safely if verge is wide enough to turn and face traffic. But as you say its basic politeness that counts, I didnt expect her to do anything more than show good manners after we waited patiently and passed correctly.