Arghh - New landlord - non -horsey driving me nuts

3OldPonies

Visit site
OK, big rant coming up. Sorry in advance I just need to get this off my chest.

The field I rent has been sold. Fortunately I and the ponies are being allowed to stay.

But, the new owner is totally un-horsey and a total townie.

Yippee I thought, we're going to get new fencing, at last - it's needed replacing for years. Now the downside, this tw&t is insisting on barbed wire, ignoring the advice from me and my father. What on earth can I do to get plain wire at the least? The fencing contractor is no use, obviously he's just going to do what he gets paid for. Filthy little landlord couldn't even be ars*d to come back to the field after I'd stayed later to let the contractor in this morning to tell me what has been quoted for - I just overhead them saying (while I was de-ragworting his field) that it would be barbed as discussed. He just left me there mooching about in the pouring rain - not even the common courtesy to say it's OK we've finished you can lock up now. I'm thinking of telling him that if he goes ahead with barbed wire I would like an appendix to the rent agreement (yet to be sorted) stating that he will pay any vet costs incurred should one of the ponies be injured by any barbed wire fencing installed by him. (Sadly parts are already barbed fencing which I have had to electric fence off}. Do you think that might be a way to make him see sense? He didn't even know that as the landowner he has a duty to ensure my animals stay put as well as the duty that I am responsible for, or that ultimatley the ragwort is his problem not mine* - this is the type of person we are dealing with here.

*I'll deal with the ragwort - he's so numb nuts that yesterday when he came to sort some tree branches up he opened up all the internal gates at the same time and if I'd not been there the two potential laminitics (which I have tried to explain) would have ended up partying all over the really lush stuff coming through where we harrowed a couple of months ago.

I can see a whole load of hassle coming up so another question, what do you guys think of three month notice periods for each party? I'm inclined to like it that they would have to give me three months, but not sure that anywhere would stay available for that long without me needing to pay for both for the notice period to secure the new place. It's going to be really hard to find somewhere new around my area so I don't want to move, but early indications are that things are not going to run as smoothly as they used to (old landlord had horses themselves).

Clueless

Visit site
I can sense you are frustrated and upset. But if I were the new landowner, I would give you notice as you would be a source of stress to me. It isn't starting well and only get worse. Maybe cut your losses and save everyone conflict

Sleipnir

Visit site
Ultimately, he's the landlord and has the final say regarding fencing and anything else. If you already see it's not going to work out, I suggest you start looking for a new place asap to save his and your nerves.

stormox

Visit site
Put an electric fencing along inside the barbed wire. He's the landlord, he can do what he likes. Some landlords dont even put fences up or maintain them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I know BHS approved livery yards with barbed wire fencing so I think you will struggle to argue it.

paddi22

Visit site
if I was the landlord i'd be telling you to go off and find a different field with the fencing you like. It's his land , he can fence it or not as he likes. Mine has barb wire around it, but i fence off as needed. It's a pain, but its not my field. Same with the ragworth. I just pull myself. My landlord doesn't do any maintenance at all. I'd be very wary of looking like you are causing hassle, as you could be left with no grazing. From the tone of your post alone, if I was your landlord I'd be asking you to leave. Ultimately, if you want that much control over a field, you have to buy your own.

tessah

Visit site
Hi would say the same either ask him if you can screw the electric connector things into posts at your own cost or buy a load of posts and run around perimeter. These things are always useful even if you ever move. If you are in Berkshire it is not so easy to find grazing to rent unless you have connections in your area so think before you do anything you may regret later. Once he has fencing job done he may disappear and leave you to get in with it as he will soon get bored.

9tails

Visit site
3OldPonies - you sound awfully entitled and belittling of this new landlord. "tw&t" "Filthy little landlord" "numb nuts". This is never going to work.

If you want to stay there, run a secondary fence of electric.

The following sentence "the ragwort is his problem not mine". Since when? I'm on a livery yard and pull ragwort, it is our responsibility.

ester

Visit site
ditto on livery and pull our own ragwort. If you want different fencing you should offer to pay for it yourself/pay the difference but ultimately it is landowner's choice and he might just decide it easier to get someone to put a few sheep or cattle on it/sell the hay of it - plenty of grass auctions are way that makes that pretty simple.

Merlod

Visit site
I have a barbed wire boundry fence, it's close to the hedge and the horses all respect it. No barbed wire injuries in the 6 years i've been here. It's not ideal but as it's not possible to run electric around the perimiter of my huge field as it would touch all the bushes and trees surrounding and i'd rather not have to move fence inwards as they'd lose their shade and shelter. Post and rail isn't cost effective - we have post and rail near the front and it's gets chewed/ itched on and does have to be maintained and replaced quite a lot so that's also a no as a permiter fence for a big field.

The only issue I would have is if they are trying to divide paddocks or etc with barbed wire though, that is not safe. My big field is divided with wood posts and mains electric tape.

paddi22

Visit site
at the end of a day he has a product and service that he offers (field with barb wire fencing). And it's up to you to either take it or leave it. There is no onus on him to do it a particular way just to keep you happy. For all he knows you could move on, and the next tenant could be a shep farmer who is perfectly suited to barb wire and doesn't need post and rail etc.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you where my tenant and I read that first post you would be down the road with your horses faster that a ferret up a drain pipe .
It's his field if you don't like the fence ask if you can put electric fencing round the inside .

Damnation

Visit site
I'd be asking you to leave if I saw that post.

If you want full control, you need to buy your own field I am afraid. He can do what he wants.

Ditto what others have said about Electric Fencing. Would this not be an option (Pen them into Electric Fence pens) especially whilst the contractor is there. This means you have full control of the horses and no risk of escapee's/laminitus.

Ragwort - If I see it I pull it, if the YO see's it she pulls it. Simples.

madlady

Visit site
My summer grazing is fenced with barbed wire, not ideal but Ive not had an injury in the 7 years that we've been using the field, in fact the horses respect it far more than plain wire. We maintain all the boundary fencing, are responsible for pulling tag and we also arrange contractors to come and cut the top two field. I'd consider myself extremely lucky if the owner decided to Re fence the whole lot even if it was with barb

If I was the owner of the field I'd be telling you to do one.

hibshobby

Visit site
Oh I'm so pleased others got to this post first ! You do come across as rather rude. You say your landlord is "a total townie" ... you're in Berkshire, hardly the backwoods of bluddy nowhere yourself. My fields were fenced with barbed wire for years and I never had a problem. My fields had ragwort - I pulled it. You can stay, be grateful or look elsewhere.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Sorry I agree with others, you are the one being unreasonable.
You are getting new fencing - be grateful he could have just left it.
I was on a yard with barbed wire boundary fence for over 20 years and no horse was ever injured by it. I think it is safer than plain wire, which I have seen injuries from before, as they respect it more. But as others have said if you are that worried then ask if you can add a row of electric on the inside. Would be good if he would let you screw the electric rope holders onto the fence posts, but that is up to him. We had this at one yard to stop them chewing the post and rail.
As for the Ragwort - Are you kidding me! If you rent the field as a whole and are the sole tenant then ragwort is your responsibility not his. Would you really rather he was in the fields with your horses regularly?
The only thing I think this landlord has done wrong is leaving the gates open. Either ask politely if he could make sure he closes all gates behind him or pen them in until all the work is done.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
You're fussing far too much. I've only ever been on 1 yard that didn't have barbed wire fencing and 2 yards where the YO dealt with ragwort. Everywhere else had various degrees of falling down barbed wire fencing and usually I'd be one of only a few people (on a 20-40 horse yard) who pulled ragwort. I understand your opinion, technically you're right, but we don't live in an ideal world. Lots and lots of horses and ponies are kept in far from ideal conditions on 2nd rate livery yards and almost all survive just fine. I'd be happy with any new fencing myself, overjoyed to have posts that weren't rotting in the ground and snapping off if a horse leaned on them, pleased not to have to walk the perimeter of the field weekly to tie up broken/sagging bits of fence with bale string.

ETA: whenever you know he's coming to do work I'd stable the laminitics or muzzle them that day, or pen them in the field somewhere with electric fence.

miss_c

Visit site
Blimey... I'm another who would be giving you notice, especially if I saw the words used to describe your landlord.

You have something that many horse owners would give an arm for - sole use of a field. He would be able to replace you the next day. I agree barbed wire is not ideal by any stretch, however it's easy to put electric tape/rope up to keep the horses away from it. As the tenant you should be the one dealing with ragwort, it's your horses having the benefit of the land after all!

silv

Visit site
Ragwort + barbed wire + lamanitics +open gates, not sure why you are so keen to stay.

If I was the landlord I would be asking you to leave as you come across as being extremely rude and demanding and will probably put him off leasing the field to any other horse person.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
3OldPonies - you sound awfully entitled and belittling of this new landlord. "tw&t" "Filthy little landlord" "numb nuts". This is never going to work.

If you want to stay there, run a secondary fence of electric.

The following sentence "the ragwort is his problem not mine". Since when? I'm on a livery yard and pull ragwort, it is our responsibility.

I know you were so excited when you finally got your own little set up but sadly I have to agree with this. I think if you tell the new landlord you want him pay for any injuries as a result of the barbed wire you're likely to get short thrift...in fact I think in their shoes I'd just tell you to jog on. If you want to stay it's probably best to keep your head down and show that you're not going to be a problem tenant.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Barbed wire imho isn't generally a problem as long as its still on the fence and doing a good job, most barbed wire injuries come from old/decrepid fencing and barbed wire on the ground. My horse leans over a barbed wire fence to get to the lush cow grass the other side, despite the fact that I've also put electric tape up! Needless to say I don't turn him out on that bit anymore, more because I don't want him damaging the farmers fence/eating his grass than being worried about my horse.

From my experience with have had the same amount of vet call out injuries from barbed wire as we've had from post and rail (one of each) The wire got wrapped around the leg (walking vet bill TB and decrepid wire) and the pony staked himself on the post and rail trying to jump a 5ft fence to get to a mare :rolleyes3:

Ragwort - pull it yourself.

HashRouge

Visit site
Would it not be possible to run an electric fence boundary inside the wire if you're really worried about it? It sounds like your ponies are in paddocks anyway, so not a huge area. Although I have to say I'm another owner whose ponies are in a field with barbed wire - on three sides we have sheep netting with a strip of barbed wire at the top. Not perfect, but then there isn't much I can do about it as I don't own the land. However, the fencing itself is in excellent condition and surrounded by huge dry stone walls, so at least I don't need to worry about any escaping ponies! We've also *touch wood* never had a wire related injury in four years.

I do agree with others though that it is best not to antagonise your new landlord. After all, it's not his fault he is a "townie" (hate that term) and doesn't know about horses. If you are confrontational and difficult, he might just tell you to leave.

SusieT

Visit site
If he want sto fence it with barbed wire that's up to him - it is cheaper and he is not horsey by your own admission so why does he care? (yes we might hope he woudl care but he doesnt obviously)
you can then electric fence inside this to prevent injuries.
if you are difficult he will likely serve you notice tbh

ester

Visit site
Barbed wire imho isn't generally a problem as long as its still on the fence and doing a good job, most barbed wire injuries come from old/decrepid fencing and barbed wire on the ground. My horse leans over a barbed wire fence to get to the lush cow grass the other side, despite the fact that I've also put electric tape up! Needless to say I don't turn him out on that bit anymore, more because I don't want him damaging the farmers fence/eating his grass than being worried about my horse.

From my experience with have had the same amount of vet call out injuries from barbed wire as we've had from post and rail (one of each) The wire got wrapped around the leg (walking vet bill TB and decrepid wire) and the pony staked himself on the post and rail trying to jump a 5ft fence to get to a mare :rolleyes3:

Ragwort - pull it yourself.

Yup properly installed (at least they are getting a contractor in) and tensioned barbed wire is usually fine.

SpringArising

Visit site
It's probably thanks to him being a townie that he can afford to buy the field so YOU can keep YOUR horses in it!

Your attitude towards him is as rough as a badger's backside - I'd be telling you to leave tomorrow if I read your post. You are easily replaceable - his services/land aren't.