Arghhhh Splints!

_daisy_

Visit site
cant bloody belive it. Chantin has obviously been a complete and utter spacker in the field since Krunchie came. As shes been turned away for a couple of weeks shes obviously had a whale of a time chasing said Krunchie around.
So fetched her in tonight ready for physio coming in the morning and shes thrown a bloody splint. Shes sound on it. Really cant believe it, shes had clean legs up until now.

So question is, shall i use bone embrocation or DMSO fluid to help take it down?
confused.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I was only chatting to my farrier earlier today and he was saying how there are lots of horses with splints due to this dry weather producing this hard ground this year.
I am not aware of the products you have mentioned,but as suggested i would generally keep the legs cool to prevent further inflammation

seaofdreams

Visit site
i know my mare is 9 this year and after the one and only event i did on grass she got one, as you said up till then her legs were clean, and it's on the outside, but it doesn't bother her in the slightest and its not that big at all, but it annoyes me because i know it there.

Gingernags

Visit site
Our two year old has two. From galloping round the field like a loon no doubt. It is currently bandaged with a thick slice of fresh lemon over it, will see if it works... which it has before on my horse.

Have to say I'm surprised how well Asti has done. She's been jumping at shows this summer up to about 1m10, and done an ODE and her legs are spot on. Mind you she's been in boots every time.

alfirules

Visit site
the 5 yo im i've been bringing on has just got a splint. it must be due to the hard ground cos he hasnt really been doing hard work. his owner had the vet out and he's on bute and has cream put on daily and is being rested.

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
comfrey is a weed that grows in fields, look t up on google and you get about 5-6 leaves, mash them up, add some hot water, put it in the microwave for a minute and then bandage to the leg and leave on for 12 hours max! hope that helps
smile.gif