Arghhhhh need a kick please....

Michen

Visit site
Having serious doubts about whether I’m being an idiot to be doing this...

Brief background, used to be a very nervous rider then got fabulous Horse who took me from x poles to finding BE90s small in a matter of months. Lost said Horse in tragic horrible way. Drunkenly bought young Connemara off Facebook who arrived in horrible state from Ireland and took most of last year to get right.

He is sharp, fiery and was cut late. it got to the point where I was terrified of riding him, enlisted the help of local jockey and between the two of us riding and consistent work he has absolutely blossomed and although still very sharp (in the sense of teleporting from one side of a field to another at imaginary bush monster) is a super pony who absolutely flew around his first BE90 last week (with his jockey) to take 7th place.

His buzzy and jolly nature no longer worries me, in fact I adore hacking him he’s great fun, and he is an extremely honest and genuine jumper. But... if I’m really honest I am still tying myself up in knots with nerves when I have jumping lessons at 70cm. It’s nothing he’s done, he has never been anything but totally genuine to jump, it’s just the fact he’s not Basil and I’ve had a long gap from jumping and am essentially back where I started. That said the other day I went xc schooling and out of no where suddenly recovered some bottle and jumped a bunch of 80’s and even the odd 90’s, yet back home I barely want to go over an x pole...

So I have entered Elmwood 70cm this weekend and have swayed from being desperate to go and gutted that I’ll likely withdraw due to hard ground, then delighted when they posted pics of aerovating and reports of lovely spongy going, to now dread at the thought that really I don’t now have an excuse not to go. I don’t know if I’m being an idiot, I’ve done no showjumping comps on him, no hunter trials, I’m not jumping above 70cm at Home and I’ve jumped about 10 xc fences at 80cm since October 2016 which was the last time I evented around a 90cm track. Half of me thinks, the horse is prepared and super and I would have to do something catastrophic to muck it up and that I might actually perform better with some Adrenalin/comp situation. The other half of me thinks I’m horrendously unprepared and may take my lovely talented horse out and completely muck him up when he’s going so well and has had so much invested in him. I actually feel on the edge of tears at the thought of going and “eventing” with a horse that’s not my much loved Basil, and wonder if I actually do want to d this ever again, and then I wonder if I don’t why on Earth I’ve invested money in him having a talented rider produce him into a fantastic horse if I’m not going to bother to do it myself one day.

Answers on a postcard? I guess my options are a) go and hope that comp situation will give me the kicking I need and old instincts will kick in, my previous Horse whilst super was green and it shouldn’t be beyond me to get around a 70cm given what I used to jump b) withdraw, have more lessons at home and make sure I’m finding 70cm utterly boring (but will I ever!?) before even thinking about going out.

I don’t think he will be doing much over summer unless it’s wet as he has had issues in his hooves and I don’t want to risk hard summer ground. So there is an element of if I don’t do it now, I won’t do it until autumn. If you’ve got this far.... I applaud you

Pic of my current boy to make this less dull and my old boy below so I know in theory I CAN do it

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Go out and do it!!

I got roped into having a x-c lesson last year as a demo rider. It was a zillion years since I'd been round x-c jumps bigger than a log, and actually I hadn't jumped anything at all for over a year. I think I was an interesting shade of green when the instructor (who had never met me) turned up. Refusal at the first tiny fence (all me) and then I got my act together, remembered that not only could I jump but I actually used to enjoy it and had an amazing 45 mins.

If I'd been asked to do it home I would have bottled it, but being in a strange environment - on a horse I'd never actually ridden - really seemed to help. Sometimes we can be a lot braver away from home.

So remember YOU CAN RIDE and go out to enjoy it. Doesn't matter if you go wrong, have a fence down or trot into everything just go out and do it.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Go and do it!!

I was the same with my pony and every time we went go out I feel disappointed that we didn’t do more, even though I was nervous at the time. The trust and confidence will come with time but sometimes you’ve got to give yourself a kick up the bum, out your brave pants on and do it. The worst that will happen is you’ll have loads of stuff to work on at home but you also have the chance to feel absolutely amazing!

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
If it were me I'd go out and do it, the adrenaline and pressure of a competition would focus my mind and make me perform better.

Your horse has some miles on the clock with another jockey so dropping a level should mean he has the confidence to carry you round a bit should you need some help.

At the end you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and be glad that you went ahead and did it!

Good luck

PaddyMonty

Visit site
From what you say finding your brave pants when xc schooling I would be willing to bet you will have a great time.
Add to that if you have been round a BE90 then a unaff 70 is so withing your capabilities it's not worth worrying over.
Sure there will be a bit of tummy tingle in the start box. That will vanish as the starter says go.
Have fun, that is all you need to do.

ihatework

Visit site
Most people will give you the kick up the bum and tell you to get on with it. Maybe/probably they are right.

I’ll give you another perspective .... I have suffered from lack of confidence / nerves related to jumping for a number of years. Really quite badly. I’m a perfectly well educated rider and more than competent, but the nerves/confidence would really affect my ability to ride how I wanted to. There were definitely horses I would be better on than others, for no real explanation.

My revelation came when I admitted to myself the anxiety of jumping far outweighed any small enjoyment I got from doing it (or thought I got anyway). Once I’d accepted it wasn’t what I wanted to do I found I really enjoyed my horses again.

These days I take great pleasure from doing the producing at home and then watching someone else do the competing.

Maybe that’s you, maybe it’s not. But one thing I do know is that confidence is very fragile. One xc schooling doesn’t make an eventer. I’d be inclined to do very low key schooling rounds before jumping back into competition.

Embo

Visit site
I think you should just go, you've said yourself that you rider better/braver at competitions :p

You will be fine, 70cm is clearly within your capabilities and it will all come flooding back once you get going (like it did when you were XC schooling!). You'll be grinning from ear to ear once you cross the finish and wondering what you were so worried about in the first place :)

Go and have a blast!

silv

Visit site
I think you should go as you said you always ride better at competitions and you know he is well capable. If you give it a miss you will be kicking yourself!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do think you need to go and see what happens, because you aren't going to know until you try and you can't plan a strategy going forwards until you know.

If it works great, if it doesn't work it's not a disaster you just pop the jock back on and plan what to do then.

MuddyTB

Visit site
Firstly wanted to say how much I like both your horses, hope I can find a similar type one day.

The whole point of having horses is to enjoy it in my book, not to feel the need to compete at a certain level. You won't be letting your horse down by doing a smaller course or not going and you should take that pressure off yourself. Given that you went xc the other day and jumped far bigger than 70cm I think you will be absolutely fine, but there's no rush. Hopefully you've got years ahead so don't stress about what you should be doing/how well you're doing. Go and have some fun!

{97702}

Visit site
I would say go - and see how it goes? There is no pressure :) You can do the dressage, and then retire. You can jump in the SJ warm up and decide not to go any further - or you can jump one show jump, or two, or three then decide that is enough. Same goes for the XC - try the warm-up, see how you feel, and take it fence by fence :)

70cm is lovely, there will be no difficult fences so you can go out and have a fab time! Or you can stop at any time you feel like it.

Hopefully I will see you there depending on times :) I will be the one with a bolshy piebald and massive bruising all over my right arm and chin :D :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Lévrier;13776434 said:
I would say go - and see how it goes? There is no pressure :) You can do the dressage, and then retire. You can jump in the SJ warm up and decide not to go any further - or you can jump one show jump, or two, or three then decide that is enough. Same goes for the XC - try the warm-up, see how you feel, and take it fence by fence :)

I'd agree with this. My first instinct was a bit like IHW's reply above, that I'd have wanted to do some more shows beforehand and that confidence once lost is hard to get back. But this^^ is a good compromise, esp as you have indicated that you are more gutsy when your blood is up :)

Michen

Visit site
Thank you. Both are/we’re fantastic, the one below was a very traditional type of Connie with a workmanlike head and the other is a sporty model but both special in their own right!

Firstly wanted to say how much I like both your horses, hope I can find a similar type one day.

The whole point of having horses is to enjoy it in my book, not to feel the need to compete at a certain level. You won't be letting your horse down by doing a smaller course or not going and you should take that pressure off yourself. Given that you went xc the other day and jumped far bigger than 70cm I think you will be absolutely fine, but there's no rush. Hopefully you've got years ahead so don't stress about what you should be doing/how well you're doing. Go and have some fun!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
You sound quite like me.... I will jump whatever I am told to jump at clinics and whatever is in front of me in competitons but at home I won't jump anything really. Yesterday I wanted to jump her and there were some fences up at about 65/70 and they looked HUUUUGE. I stuck to the warm up x-pole. Telling myself I have jumped higher than that on a full courses several times made no difference. But I am fine once in the ring or out on the XC course.

I think you will be fine if you go. And what is the worst that can happen anyway? The dressage test is just a dressage test. Good experience no matter what happens and if it goes oear-shaped - well we have all been there. (Well I have anyway!).

The SJ is a small course and likely to be quite inviting. BE SJ seems quite kind I think. Then once you are on the XC course you will feel if he is keen and forward or flagging/tense and can decide to call it a day if that feels the right decision. I can't see how you can 'muck him up'. It is well within both of your capabilities.

We took our 5 year old Connie to an ODE after having her for 10 days, mainly because my daughter had already entered it on her old pony who sold quicker than we expected.

She did a nice dressage test, popped round the SJ sweetly then we withdrew her as felt that was enough for her first time out and she looked and felt tired. We felt really pleased that we had got her out and about.

I agree with the others that there is no obligation to compete but judging by your face in the above pic you actually rather like it!!

be positive

Visit site
You know that your nerves are always holding you back, not so long ago you were the same when you started competing B but you do know that once you get there although they wont go away you can deal with them and enjoy the ride, this little horse is proving to be a star and most of the credit goes to you for giving him the chance and bringing him on so carefully, he seems to be very genuine, enjoys his job and would love it if you could enjoy it with him, not going to give you a kick just a prod in the right direction, you can do it.

Ahrena

Visit site
Do it because I’m a single Pringle and I need you to start doing 80s k thanks.

Plus you’ll have a ball.

Visit site
Man Up Princess!

Go and take each stage as it comes. Do your dressage test. Go for a hop round the show jumping. If you still don't feel confident enough to go round the xc then you can pull out knowing your not going to scare your horse. Your horse wont know he is missing out on the xc, he will enjoy his day out regardless!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It depends, do you think it would be better for you to pull out at this late notice, having part psyched yourself up and then have to go through it all again later in the year (though with more practice under your belt) , or better for you to go and do as much or as little as you need to make it a positive experience?

If it was me it would be the former, and I sense from the way you've worded this thread title that you might be similar....?

Sheep

Visit site
If, despite your nerves, you know you can get round safely (and it sounds like you can) then bleddy do it girl!!! Looking forward to the report after :)

Michen

Visit site
Just don't kick too hard for the water... :p

Yes for those that I’m not fb friends with, this is the bog pony entering the water last weekend. At everything he’s done previously he’s been very lucky not to get a 20 at the water but rather than slowly improve he totally changed tactic and took rider by surprise!

Michen

Visit site
Man Up Princess!

Go and take each stage as it comes. Do your dressage test. Go for a hop round the show jumping. If you still don't feel confident enough to go round the xc then you can pull out knowing your not going to scare your horse. Your horse wont know he is missing out on the xc, he will enjoy his day out regardless!

Thank you :p I’m being a wet wipe I know!

silv

Visit site
Yes for those that I’m not fb friends with, this is the bog pony entering the water last weekend. At everything he’s done previously he’s been very lucky not to get a 20 at the water but rather than slowly improve he totally changed tactic and took rider by surprise!

Nice wee horse, looks like a bit of a "pocket rocket" bet he's great fun!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site

HAHA great pic.

mini-eventer

Visit site
I would go for it. I am the same as you. As I warm up to jump, I feel sick, I go weak feel exhausted get a bit shaky. Even at 70cm!!!

However once i get on with it and pop a couple I am absolutely fine and love it. In fact once adrenaline takes over I am one determined lady :) I try not to think about jumping too much and try not to over think the fences when I walk the course. I have entered my first 80cm UA next week and will be crapping myself the night before despite knowing it is a soft 80 and I am have jumped 90cm - 1m schooling. Good luck x x x

tatty_v

Visit site
Lévrier;13776434 said:

70cm is lovely, there will be no difficult fences so you can go out and have a fab time! Or you can stop at any time you feel like it.

Hopefully I will see you there depending on times :) I will be the one with a bolshy piebald and massive bruising all over my right arm and chin :D :D

I agree - go, don't put any pressure on yourself, take each stage at a time and retire if you feel like you're not enjoying yourself. Good luck!