Ariat Grasmeres or Dubarrys?

ridersince2002

Visit site
Ok so maybe im a little tiny bit spoilt ;) but ive been having a rough time recently which has resulted in me needing a blood test for rheumatiod arthritis (awaiting results- PLEASE COME BACK NEGATIVE) and darling daddy said he would buy me some nice new boots to cheer me up. He said i can have the dubarrys ive wanted for ageesss, or the ariat grasmeeres.
I only play ponies at the weekend, but do the yard on my own on a saturday then go and do a couple of ponies who live out on a sunday.

In your experience, which take longer to fall appart? Ive heard that dubarrys can fall appart if you wear them alot? I prefer the look of dubarrys, but at the end of the day i want the most practical. So what do you lovely lot think i should go for? :)

Last edited:

Kateyb33

Visit site
I have rheumatiod arthritis in most of my joints at 23, and was diagnosed when i was 14, however i dont remember getting bought any Dubarrys lol

ridersince2002

Visit site
I have rheumatiod arthritis in most of my joints at 23, and was diagnosed when i was 14, however i dont remember getting bought any Dubarrys lol

Do you find it has affected your riding much?
Hehe i make my dad feel bad about not buying me a horse so he buys me things that are cheaper ;) i do love him :p

SJcrazee

Visit site
Both nice boots- TBH I prefer the look of the Ariats. Don't muck out in them though - horse wee rots the leather, lots of people have had issues with Dubarrys regarding this!!

Groom42

Visit site
Grasmeres every time. My friend is on her sixth year in hers, my Dubarrys lasted about 18months. Also, the difference in Customer service is amazing. Dubarry's response to the query as to exactly why they were so short lived was "You obviously didn't look after them!", whereas when the Grasmeres had a small split (seal between boot and sole) after being worn daily for six months the result was a brand new pair of boots by return of post!

kezimac

Visit site
if you are size 6 i am selling a pair of brown grasmeres - worn a total of 2 times!!!! - I cant get my stoopid dodgy right ankle to bend enough to get them on without the ankle locking!!! (really shouldnt but stuff online without trying it me - i need zips!!!!!! lol )

if interseted pm me

LizzieJ

Visit site
My Dubarrys have lasted longer than my Grasmeres. Do you want to ride in them? use them in summer? I would say my grasmeres were way to warm for summer but they would be better for riding in!

ridersince2002

Visit site
I would be living in them for the weekend, riding and everything really so my priority if I'm spending alot of money on some boots is to get some that will last me for as long as possible.

ah kezimac im size 4.5/5 so I dont think they would fit, and I always prefer trying boots on before I buy them, sorry!

has anyone had experiences with the ariat Windermere (I think that's there name) ? they look nice too, and I bit cheaper!! thank you all :)

vikkibeth

Visit site
I love my Dubarrys, I live in them 24/7, use to mix wearing my Uggs at none horse times, my hunters at mucking time and my mountain horse High Risers for riding, for me my Dubarrys do it all! Even clean nicely after being in 4ft of mud lol

Welly

Visit site
Could you ask daddy if you could have 2 pairs of boots and get a pair of muck boots - they are much, much warmer and comfortable for yard work and then use your posh boots for riding, simples

Countrychic

Visit site
My dubarrys fell to pieces and dubarry were unhelpful to say the least , I now have grasmeres and I'm totally in love with them

nikkimariet

Visit site
Had my Dubarrys 3 years or so, they get worn A LOT. Covered in mud and general filth, really get abused. Still in absolute perfect condition. Have heard rumors of the sole on Ariat G's coming away with slight wear. But that may just be an anomaly. Go for which ones you find most comfortable; heard that Ariat G's take a while to wear in but Dubarrys are difficult to ride in (I wear them round the yard not for riding!)

Kateyb33

Visit site
Do you find it has affected your riding much?
Hehe i make my dad feel bad about not buying me a horse so he buys me things that are cheaper ;) i do love him :p

I do unfortuantly, especially in winter. My hands lose grip on the reins if she pulls and my knees definatly take a battering if hacking out for a long time, so tend to ride quite long.

Was originally advised to give up riding altogether incase i had a bad fall, but losing both my arms and legs wouldnt make me stop! lol

ridersince2002

Visit site
so I'm guessing being a groom and RI, an hopefully later on a vet is a career route I probably shouldn't be going down if the test comes back positive then? :( I've really got my fingers crossed it comes back negative, my whole life plans are going to have to change if it doesn't :( oh well, if it happens, it happens, not much I can do to change that! don't think I could ever give up riding though! haha :)

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Dubarrys aren't actually meant for riding in! If you do, they drop and go very saggy around the ankle. So if they are for riding in, you'd be better with the Grasmeres.
I have Dubarrys and I love them, tried Grasmeres on, but didn't find them as comfy to walk about in as the Dubarrys and as I wanted wakling about boots not riding boots, I got the Dubarrys. The Dubarrys shredded my heels at first, I was crippled with blisters! But I perservered and now they are soooo comfy, I live in them!
I occasionally have to get on a horse in them, but tried to avoid it whenever possible. I also religiously rinse them after wearing them to make sure nothing is left on that is likely to rot the leather!

My friend said she's had two pair of Grasmeres go in the lining at the ankle and trap her foot in! She had to cut herself out. Ariat replaced them the first time and were replacing them the second time with a different type, but were awaiting stock.

Kateyb33

Visit site
Dont give up hope yet! But unfortunatly that happened for me... I have always worked as a groom but never last more than a couple months before im absolutely crippled. :( However i keep going back to it thinking this time will be different and it happens again! Im just a sucker for it! Luckily now i work in an office part time and freelance groom part time and fingers crossed im coping! Some days are worse than others.

I have to admit i probably dont help myself, i refuse to take any form of medication for it now. They had me on such high doses of ibruprofen for such a long time that gave me other side effects creating further problems for me now :-(

If you want any info or advice, dont hesitate to ask, im more than happy to help. Good Luck with the results! :)

thespanishmane

Visit site
Hi - hope your'e not feeling too bad!

Ive got both - My Dubarry's are five and a half years old now, and have been worn every day for all horsey activities since i bought them. They have never let me down, but I have periodicaly used the waterproofing cream on them. they are now filthy as I go through the mud in them every day, and hose them off. I have ridden in them too. The Grasmeres are also great, wonderfully warm in the winter, and fanastic to ride in, but I havent abused them like i have the dubarry's!

I do smile at those who wear the Dubarrys as a fashion statement - mine are purely working boots and I have found them just as good as wellies!

ridersince2002

Visit site
thank you everyone, I've decided I'm going to get some the stoats, as the lady in the shop seems to think the quality of dubarrys have slipped in the last few years :S but I've decided it's a bit mean making daddy buy them so web agreed that he's going to pay half and I'm saving up for the other half (much fairer considering I have a job :p hehe)

and thank you so much Kateyb33, would it please be alright if I was to pm you if I had any more questions about it in the future? :)

ridersince2002

Visit site
haha just realized my last post injera said stoats instead of ariats! iPod touch spell check strikes again!

thank you so much! your an absolute lifesaver!