Arko clone…

hock

Visit site
Ok I’m just going to put this out there … I have a little cloning savings fund (£56.89 currently) and I would 100% clone my bestest horse if the time comes and I had the money. I won’t but just saying.
And I say this with no malice but I really don’t care if someone finds it grim. I know deep deep down it wouldn’t be the same horse but I’d walk over hot coals to keep him forever.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I see the point of cloning an elite gelding to produce a stallion, but if this carries on then future world class competition will only have clones of past winners in them. Why would you risk years of training an unknown when you can start with one that is already proven to have what it takes?

Cloning is banned in TB breeding (is AI still banned, I think so?). I think I'd like to see clones banned from all competition.

HashRouge

Visit site
Ok I’m just going to put this out there … I have a little cloning savings fund (£56.89 currently) and I would 100% clone my bestest horse if the time comes and I had the money. I won’t but just saying.
And I say this with no malice but I really don’t care if someone finds it grim. I know deep deep down it wouldn’t be the same horse but I’d walk over hot coals to keep him forever.
I don't think it's grim, just very odd. The sad fact is, that you cannot keep that horse "forever". The clone will not be him and it won't be identical in looks or personality. You will still have to go through the grief of losing your much-loved horse. The clone will not have the same bond with you and will not have been through the same experiences. I have owned my beloved Arab for 20 years now and will be beyond devastated when she dies. But a clone wouldn't be her, so what's the point?

Equi

Visit site
I feel it’s just a bit of a game the very well off are playing because they can. For me the excitement of what comes out after waiting 11 months is better, and you can have real pride if you create something worthy. Knowing what’s going to come out is a bit boring.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think cloning is completely redundant.. the horse won't look the same nor have the same personality.. If Milton for example, was an inherently lazy or seriously anxious horse then it doesn't matter how he is built or how much talent he had, he wouldn't have achieved what he did - and so a clone of him isn't guaranteed to be any good more or less than a natural breeding.

hock

Visit site
I see the point of cloning an elite gelding to produce a stallion, but if this carries on then future world class competition will only have clones of past winners in them. Why would you risk years of training an unknown when you can start with one that is already proven to have what it takes?

Cloning is banned in TB breeding (is AI still banned, I think so?). I think I'd like to see clones banned from all competition.
My fat gentleman’s hunter is defo elite ???

hock

Visit site
I don't think it's grim, just very odd. The sad fact is, that you cannot keep that horse "forever". The clone will not be him and it won't be identical in looks or personality. You will still have to go through the grief of losing your much-loved horse. The clone will not have the same bond with you and will not have been through the same experiences. I have owned my beloved Arab for 20 years now and will be beyond devastated when she dies. But a clone wouldn't be her, so what's the point?
Most likely .. but I still would ?‍♀️

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

you think you want the same horse again but once they pass you won’t as it won’t be the same horse, you will try to treat it the same and expect it to react the same but it won’t. You would end up resenting the differences that you subconsciously don’t want I be there.

Hence why when my soul horse died I bought the opposite in colour and type. Yes he’s still Welsh (my old boy was a Welsh x ) and yes he’s still a gelding but everything else is different.

hock

Visit site
you think you want the same horse again but once they pass you won’t as it won’t be the same horse, you will try to treat it the same and expect it to react the same but it won’t. You would end up resenting the differences that you subconsciously don’t want I be there.

Hence why when my soul horse died I bought the opposite in colour and type. Yes he’s still Welsh (my old boy was a Welsh x ) and yes he’s still a gelding but everything else is different.

Tbh I’d have him cloned now if I could, my old horse is 15 now and I’d leave the clone entire. There’s no one else I’d clone just one very special very talented horse. But sadly I can’t afford to it’s about £70k but very cheap to have the cells stored. Thanks for your kind words though amd I’m so sorry you lost your horse.

catembi

Visit site
I understand what you're saying, Hock. I lost Catembi (in avatar) in the most awful circumstances and I would absolutely remortgage to get a clone. I know it wouldn't be 'him' (etc etc etc) but maybe it would heal something that hasn't quite mended 14 years on. It's like a broken vase that's been glued back together - functional, but the cracks are there. I wish I had some of his DNA but I don't. I've got an old shoe, that's all. I couldn't bear to keep any hair.

(Our neighbours at the time let us graze their garden, which they'd let the previous owners do. I didn't realise that it was contaminated due to their septic tank. As a result, he came down with protein losing enteropathy & after a hard fought, hugely expensive, utterly draining struggle, he recovered...then had an almighty relapse and I lost him. I accidentally killed the creature that I loved beyond anything. It was my fault. I tried so hard and couldn't save him.)

hock

Visit site
I understand what you're saying, Hock. I lost Catembi (in avatar) in the most awful circumstances and I would absolutely remortgage to get a clone. I know it wouldn't be 'him' (etc etc etc) but maybe it would heal something that hasn't quite mended 14 years on. It's like a broken vase that's been glued back together - functional, but the cracks are there. I wish I had some of his DNA but I don't. I've got an old shoe, that's all. I couldn't bear to keep any hair.

(Our neighbours at the time let us graze their garden, which they'd let the previous owners do. I didn't realise that it was contaminated due to their septic tank. As a result, he came down with protein losing enteropathy & after a hard fought, hugely expensive, utterly draining struggle, he recovered...then had an almighty relapse and I lost him. I accidentally killed the creature that I loved beyond anything. It was my fault. I tried so hard and couldn't save him.)

Catembi I graze my horses in fields that I’ve never had tested so I can’t accept you accidentally killed him. How on earth were you to know and if you’d had the merest hint we both know you never would have grazed him there. Why were you using the grazing there? I’m assuming because you wanted your horse to have the grass and horses had historically grazed there, so why wouldn’t you? Losing your Beautiful horse is a double tragedy because you’ve lost him and you blame yourself. I am so sorry. But I am also grateful to you, I have a septic tank and it’s within a very small paddock that I sometimes turn out a couple of babies in to graze off. I won’t do that again because now I know it’s not safe. I had no idea it would be a problem, just like you. So I really hope you can find peace and thank you so much for sharing your experience as you could well have saved me a tragedy x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've spent a little time with two clones (of the same horse), and also knew the clonee, and can report that whilst they are similar they are most definitely not the same. The foals of all three are however, and that is the whole point. Whether it is ethical/economic/useful/necessary at all is another debate.

mariew

Visit site
Mmm I can just see labs growing hundreds of copies of the same horse for the medal hopefuls. It would be a very lucrative business for sure. It's a bit too futuristic for me as we don't need another reason for mass-production of horses. We have enough as it is.