'Arm extension' for leg and foot handling - help please!

tankgirl1

Visit site
Has anyone ever bodged one of these together - like what Monty, Kelly and IRHA's use?
Shetty took off in a panic today when I ran my hand down his foreleg. I'd like to desensitise him as gently as possible as he obviously has issues being handled round his legs/feet...

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
What?? What could you possibly be doing that a horse can take off when you run your hand down it's leg?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Has anyone ever bodged one of these together - like what Monty, Kelly and IRHA's use?
Shetty took off in a panic today when I ran my hand down his foreleg. I'd like to desensitise him as gently as possible as he obviously has issues being handled round his legs/feet...

yes I have for a semi-feral yearling. tbh I think now I would work out a shaping plan instead-look up Ben Hart.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
What?? What could you possibly be doing that a horse can take off when you run your hand down it's leg?

It's not what tallyho did so much as what the horse has experienced in the past, surely, and tbh the arm extension method can be a great way of showing a horse that being touched on the leg is ok, without getting killed in the process.

SEL

Visit site
Yup. Stick, stuffed glove & duct tape was what I used. Plus loads of 'good girl' & treats. Then progressed to a lead rope & gentle pressure to get her to lift the foot. Good as gold with me now but did muck around with a few of the yard staff when I was away. I think every time she twitched they jumped away so it all became a bit of a game...... (this particular mare is much too clever)

Nudibranch

Visit site
Yes I've DIYed one and it worked well, then progressed to the leadrope as mentioned above.

How small is the Shettie? My old YO asked me to trim his semi feral mini once and it was so small we just upended it sheep style :p

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I just use a dressage whip; it's the feel of something, not what it looks like that is important. If the pony is really wild, then a lunge whip over the stable door (it's longer).

tankgirl1

Visit site
Thankyou! I'll dig out my marigolds and duct tape tomorrow!

Nudibranch I've not measured him, his back is up to my hips, so he's not teeny tiny but not massive either

Tnavas

Visit site
Don't know how old your horse is OP, leg grabbing is a fight tactic that other horses use.

Be persistent, ensure both of you are in a safe place, eg inside a stable or yard, and just persevere with patience and confidence.

I recently read a farriers article who mentioned that many horses develop these problems because the handler stops the contact immediately the horse reacts, actually frightening the horse by their reaction.

Stay close to the side and starting up high, firmly run your hand Dow the legs, don't flutter down, don't try to lift feet until the horse will accept your touch without flinching. Don't stress if his feet don't get picked out for a few weeks! They won't fall off!

Preparing TB yearlings for the sales gave me a good insight to the various ways that youngsters react to both the new experience and the confidence of the handler. The colts were the most reactive, fillies not so, but there were some that were clearly anxious with their handler, and several times I'd be asked to take over the picking up of feet for some.

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
Another vote for Ben hart and shaping plans, this is just the sort of issue he sorts out and he isn't a pushy horse whispery person, he is willing to adapt to your horse.