Art first attempt - honest opinions

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Had a bit of spare time so have sat last night and a little today and done a digital painting of Chico.

I used a real photo and overlaid the colours bit by bit, blending them together best.
Then i removed the background and added a new image and added shading etc.

Honest opinions but this is my first ever attempt so be kind please :eek:

chicoanimeartcopy.jpg

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not arty and I can't see the point. It's a great photo and even nicer with the altered background which you've obviously executed well but messing around to cartoonify the horse? No, can't be doing with it myself.

twiggly

Visit site
Like the new background but would maybe be easier on the eye if that was cartooned too? (Lovely beastie btw :) )

FionaM12

Visit site
I can see these programmes are fun to play with, but to me they're neither "art" nor "painting"!

Beautiful horse and beautiful photo though. I like the change of background but not the bold outline drawn round the horse.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I can see these programmes are fun to play with, but to me they're neither "art" nor "painting"!

it is art, check the dictionary. Art is anything that is produced by humans to elicit and stimulate emotion and thought :)

and as you all hate it so much I have made an alteration for you to hate even more, lol :p:D

chicoanimeartbackgroundcopy.jpg

FionaM12

Visit site
Haha! No I don't "hate" it, I'm just a bit of a Luddite! :) My daughter likes these sort of things and laughs at me and my old-fashioned attitudes.

No offence meant.

And ....err.... I prefer the background in your first one!! :D

Archangel

Visit site
I like the first one, it is different and I quite like the "is it a photo"/"is it a cartoon" thing. The only bit (for me) that lets it down is the detail on the lower legs. Off fore is OK but near fore is a bit lumpy and hinds are a bit filled :)

I might also make the tree cartoony... but then I like fiddling. Lovely horse btw.

ABC

Visit site
I'm going to be different, I really like the first one! Wish I could do something like that! :D

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
*giggles*

I think perhaps it would be interesting to know the ages of those who appreciate it and those who don't.

I suspect I'm old enough to be your mother, if not grandma.

midi

Visit site
Iunno I don't consider it as art but then again I don't consider half of the things in tate modern or the like as art either.

Anyone can really mash up something like this, if you had drawn the horse freehand then some skill would have been required but this? :(

sorry //gets shot.

Last edited:

AFlapjack

Visit site
I think its very good for your first go :) Well done!

I would try and make the black outline tidier (eg, less pixelated, if that is even a word??), maybe zooming into the picture to draw it, if that makes sense? It will seem to take foreverrrrr(!!!) to do but will look much more fluid if done that way.

Also try and adjust the first background (which is much better than the second imo :p) and soften it slightly so it looks more cartoon-y.

Perhaps also look at adjusting the light of background vs horse and look at where the light is landing in background compared to horse to match up etc.

Hope this makes a bit of sense and look forward to seeing more :D

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Wow some forthright critiques here! Well you see some art peddled on here and I just roll my eyes, however it's really in the eye of the beholder and if it brings some joy to the person who made it or some people who see it then that's fab :) I don't agree with some famous art as being any good but plenty of people disagree and that is the true beauty of art I guess, it's controversy.
I'd like to see the original photo on new backgrounds myself or maybe more real vs cartoon in one picture :)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Anyone can really mash up something like this, if you had drawn the horse freehand then some skill would have been required but this? :(

sorry //gets shot.

it must be difficult to understand exactly what work goes into producing something like this.
Ever pixel of colour has been chosen and applied by me using just one finger on a laptop scroll pad.

It wasnt done with a program that automatically transforms the image into a 'cartoon' it has all been hand done and actually took me about 3 hours.

The image this is based on is in the signature below - and what you wont realise is that Chico was actually wearing a lunge cavesson, side reins and a saddle in the original image, all of which i painstakingly editted out. If you really look closely you will notice i coulnt be bother to put the chestnut patch back in that was under his saddle!

I will take all the suggestions on board thanks. This was just a quick 'have a go' one so i will try another and take much more time over it.

:D:D

midi

Visit site
it must be difficult to understand exactly what work goes into producing something like this.
Ever pixel of colour has been chosen and applied by me using just one finger on a laptop scroll pad.

It wasnt done with a program that automatically transforms the image into a 'cartoon' it has all been hand done and actually took me about 3 hours.

The image this is based on is in the signature below - and what you wont realise is that Chico was actually wearing a lunge cavesson, side reins and a saddle in the original image, all of which i painstakingly editted out. If you really look closely you will notice i coulnt be bother to put the chestnut patch back in that was under his saddle!

I will take all the suggestions on board thanks. This was just a quick 'have a go' one so i will try another and take much more time over it.

:D:D

I was never under the impression you used a program that cartooned it, what I'm saying is anyone can paint over a picture lol.
& the fact your assuming I just find it " difficult to understand " is quite condescending! especially since when I do draw it is done digitally! I have a suspicion this is a troll post tho C:

Last edited:

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I was never under the impression you used a program that cartooned it, what I'm saying is anyone can paint over a picture lol.
& the fact your assuming I just find it " difficult to understand " is quite condescending! especially since when I do draw it is done digitally! I have a suspicion this is a troll post tho C:

i am sorry if i offended you but your implying that there was no skill involved in this i felt was condescending to me also. I worked hard on this and it is a skill - it isnt as simple as just 'painting over a picture', if you draw digitally you should know you have to balance, blend, shadow, highlight etc.

lovely that you think i'm a troll too, with 1230 posts to date - cheers :rolleyes:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'm old enough to be your mother and I quite like it, I think it's fun :D I think there is room in this world for all sorts of art (although I draw the line at a pile of bricks, and I don't really get the sheep in formaldehyde :eek:)

You could also say that PapaFrita's beautiful representations from photos are pointless, since they are almost exact copies - but I wouldn't cos they're lovely :D

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I'm old enough to be your mother and I quite like it, I think it's fun :D I think there is room in this world for all sorts of art (although I draw the line at a pile of bricks, and I don't really get the sheep in formaldehyde :eek:)

lol :D:D wasnt there a big art expo recently where one 'piece' was just an empty room - the artist said the art was what happened when the people went in to see the empty room. :D:confused::D

i think art is different for everyone, as everyones tastes are different. I dont expect all to like it, but just be diplomatic if they dont ;):D

Capriole

Visit site
another one that doesnt really get it :) I am thinking this digital art stuff isnt my kind of thing although I can see its taken some time and skill to produce :)
The black line is a bit harsh and jarring to my mind, Id quite like to see some of your work without the outline though!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
another one that doesnt really get it :) I am thinking this digital art stuff isnt my kind of thing although I can see its taken some time and skill to produce :)
The black line is a bit harsh and jarring to my mind, Id quite like to see some of your work without the outline though!

I am currently working on the image again to remove the black outline ;)

muddygreymare

Visit site
I think they're good, I have done similar so I appreciate how long it takes - and how much it screws up your eyes!! Was going to say about the black line as in RL nothing has an outline does it? It's just the change of tone/colours which make it stand out as a definite form. But other than that they look really good for a first attempt, well done :)

Shantara

Visit site
For a touchpad pic, it's amazing!!
This is my best attempt with a touchpad XD I'm used to using a graphics tablet :p
http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/JaquiChan/Touchpad.png

If you're serious about this arty thing, you should invest in one, I think you'd do well :)

Here's one of my mouse-drawn pics..
http://gothic180.deviantart.com/art/Ollie-98575377

Then after I got my tablet..
http://anniehyena.deviantart.com/art/Ned-Reference-Sheet-271063317

Don't give up :)

EDIT: I'd also like to add...those who think digital art isn't art...
http://gothic180.deviantart.com/art/Shah-Azim-120465517 one of mine ;)

Last edited: