Arthritic changes- supplement recommendations

CMcC

Visit site
I have an 11 year old pony who has been diagnosed with arthritic changes on the fetlock and navicular, changes to the sidebone and slight laminitic changes. All on left front, right front is perfect. Tested for EMS and Cushing’s both negative. Has remedial shoeing and he is looking better. Only recently diagnosed and shod so not sure what ridden future is.
I am hoping to keep him off Bute but what was wondering about a non-medical anti-inflammatory. Have been recommended Nobute, turmeric and Boswellia.
Does anyone have any experience/recommendations. Two other things (1) he has been tested for ulcers and was clear but did show stomach inflammation, so nothing that might effect that (2) the smell of turmeric makes me retch, used to occasionally buy for a friend for her horse and even having it in the car in two plastic bags made me feel ill. But if it works I might manage with a peg on my nose.

Pc2003

Visit site
Take his shoes off firstly 😊We didn’t get on with turmeric but I do use equimins flexi joint

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Rhino posted an interesting article about the complete uselessness of turmeric on Facebook some time ago. Honestly, I don’t think anything bar painkillers will significantly help extra bone spurs rubbing on other bone or ligaments. With the dog, we kept him lean and muscled, so I guess similar advice for a horse if possible.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Take his shoes off firstly 😊We didn’t get on with turmeric but I do use equimins flexi joint

Why remove shoes? Mine goes footsore immediately and the lane is so stony, I can’t do it to him. He had new balance shoes put on recently, no idea if that’s making a difference, but I try to keep him comfortable.

ozpoz

Visit site
Keep his trimming up to date, his weight down, lots of gentle excercise always after a warm up and cool down after wards. I found Boswellia to be good.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I have an 11 year old pony who has been diagnosed with arthritic changes on the fetlock and navicular, changes to the sidebone and slight laminitic changes. All on left front, right front is perfect. Tested for EMS and Cushing’s both negative. Has remedial shoeing and he is looking better. Only recently diagnosed and shod so not sure what ridden future is.
I am hoping to keep him off Bute but what was wondering about a non-medical anti-inflammatory. Have been recommended Nobute, turmeric and Boswellia.
Does anyone have any experience/recommendations. Two other things (1) he has been tested for ulcers and was clear but did show stomach inflammation, so nothing that might effect that (2) the smell of turmeric makes me retch, used to occasionally buy for a friend for her horse and even having it in the car in two plastic bags made me feel ill. But if it works I might manage with a peg on my nose.

My vet recommended this (super concentrated devils claw) as a bute alternative that works. I think it is 7 times stronger than standard devils claw.

I found it good.

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/audevard-harpagyl-horse-musculoskeletal-support

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Tumeric didn't help my bone spavin affected gelding and neither did boswellia. He's on 2 x danilon a day which definitely helps! Now looking at equimins flexi joint to see if that could be an alternative. I also keep his weight down and exercise every day as well as regular physio.