Arthritic Hocks diagnosis

AshryOTTB

Visit site
Over the last few months I've noticed my boy was getting much stiffer behind and struggling with tight turns in canter, after 2 meetings with the vet he has now been diagnosed with arthritic hocks. He's only 9 but did race a lot from age 2-5 so I'm not super surprised by the diagnosis, the vet has recommended i get him injected which i will do, we spoke briefly about his workload but her attitude seemed to be to see how it goes.

I had been competing him at BE80 and unaffiliated sj up to 90, I'm presuming he will no longer be able to do this, what sort of work should i expect him to do in the future?
The vet didn't recommend a specific supplement but did advise to put him on a joint supplement, he's currently on NAF superflex although i know there are better supplements out there, any recommendations?

Michen

Visit site
I wouldn’t presume that at all. With management and medication my horse happily evented for many years.

Timelyattraction

Visit site
Plenty of horses carry on successfully competing with their hocks medicated. Ive seen many showjumpers/eventers advertised for sale who have had their hocks medicated.

I had my boy on an equine America supplement for his coffin joint arthritis but I couldn’t tell you if it made a difference or not

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Ask your vet about arthramid mine had hers done 20 months ago and still no reoccurrence of symptoms, well worth the money.
No reason why you cant event/jump in future, you may just have to be a bit fussy what ground you run him on.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Mine has just been treated with Arthrimed, too soon to tell (physio here Friday to assess) but steroids weren’t an option for us.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d very much hope, provided nothing else going on, that hock arthritis could be managed well enough with correct work, and supported by steroid & arthrimed, to happily and ethically still be able to do your BE80/90 stuff