Arthritic horses and hacking on roads

[59668]

Visit site
Hi all

My horse has been diagnosed with very mild possibly pre arthritic inflammation in her coffin joints.

I am concerned about hacking her on roads even in walk now because of the concussion.

In summer we have access to fields to hack round but at the moment its just roads. I'm thinking once a week on the roads might be ok? How often do you hack your arthritic horses on roads?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hacking is grand for slightly arthritic horses. The mare in my avatar has bilateral hock arthritis. You’ll be able to judge the work level that is helpful, but walking on the roads should be fine as a base level.

The only area she found tricky was a narrow lane with a hefty camber, so I picked my way along the edge where it was most level.

Is your horse shod? Hoof boots help to absorb concussion cf metal shoes.

[59668]

Visit site
Hacking is grand for slightly arthritic horses. The mare in my avatar has bilateral hock arthritis. You’ll be able to judge the work level that is helpful, but walking on the roads should be fine as a base level.

The only area she found tricky was a narrow lane with a hefty camber, so I picked my way along the edge where it was most level.

Is your horse shod? Hoof boots help to absorb concussion cf metal shoes.

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually taking her barefoot with a proper rehab (shoes coming off Feb 19) ....I hadn't thought about hoof boots doh!!!!!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Road work is great for arthritic horses and even better for unshod horses. Just be aware of the camber on the sides of some roads. It places a strain on arthritic joints. Wherever possible and safe, ride away from the side of the road.
The problem I've had, is that when the horse was warming up, I didn't want to trot on to let traffic get by and I must have frustrated other road users. Perhaps I should have had a hi viz tabard with Going Slow, Arthritic horse written on the back.

cauda equina

Visit site
My old cob has coffin joint arthritis
He's unshod/booted (always fore, hinds too if we're going somewhere particularly stony)
We almost entirely walk but do trot too if he feels like it
He struggles when the ground is too soft, or lumpy or uneven, and roads have the advantage of being firm and flat

eta I agree about the camber - my chap likes to go down the middle of the road

Widgeon

Visit site
When I asked my vet about this (mine also has a very arthritic hock) she said not to worry about road hacking at all. So I just make sure he's warmed up by pottering down our lane first. That is interesting about the camber though - I always try to ride on a flat bit as it is (some of our lanes are like mountain ranges!) but it hadn't actually occured to me that arthritic might make it more dififcult for him to negotiate a steep camber. I'll bear that in mind.

jnb

Visit site
I only trot briefly on roads (max 4-5 min if that) and preferably uphill, on my barefoot, very HW cob, I figure he's a big lad and I don't want to hammer his joints as he's young and I want him to lead a long and happy life with me hopefully.
Walking as much as you can do, miles and miles won't hurt him - as others have said they often prefer the flatter bits of road if there is a camber.
I trot and canter on grass lanes, tracks and fields, I don't just walk everywhere btw (although at the moment its so wet risking anything on grass isn't a great idea either and hooves going in 6"!

Michen

Visit site
My horse has arthiritis in both hocks and we do lots of road hacking. I do minimal trotting on roads though, especially when shod.