Arthritis Help

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I have an 11 year old Suffolk Punch x ID. He is 16.1, with quite a chunky body, but slimmish legs. At the beginning of last year following on and off lameness, he was diagnosed with arthritis of the pedal bone and I was told he had a ringbone forming, although vet said once formed, ringbone wouldn't really cause any problems. This was in near fore leg.

Last week, Mac got kicked during play on his near hind. He had a slight graze and his hock swelled up. I cold hosed the leg and cleaned the graze, and purple sprayed it. The following day the swelling had gone down quite a lot and he wasn't at all lame. Kept graze clean all week and all seemed fine. On Sunday just gone, hind leg was really swollen again and graze looked more like a cut. I suspected an infection so poulticed leg and called vet yesterday. Vet came and gave Mac a really thorough examination. He was concerned about a lump on the inside of the hind leg. He said he suspected it was something (really can't remeber what he called it), which basically meant arthritis and said cortisone injections would help, but he was also concerned it could be infection in the joint as we have seen no signs of any problems previously. He took fluid samples from the joint and has sent them to tha lab for analysis. In the meantime, Mac is being kept in the clinic for observation until results come back. (Due back later today). If the results show infection in the joint, he will have to go to the Royal College to have the joint flushed. If they don't show he has infection in the joint, it sounds like it pretty much means the back leg is arthritic as well as the front.

I am really worried what this means long term for my boy. After diagnosis of the arthritis in the front leg, I have fully expected that in years to come he will get it in his other legs, but really didn't expect it to happen this quickly. He has been on Maxiflex Glucosamine since last year and has cod liver oil and cider apple vinegar in his feeds to try and help with mobility. He has plenty of turnout and is exercised daily and has shown no signs of lameness. Can be a bit stiff on the front leg sometimes, but walks it off.

A big part of me hopes it is infection as that is curable, but I am so scared of infections (read far too many horror stories), that part of me wishes it to be arthritis, because at least I know what I am dealing with. Either way, what can I do long term to help my boy with his joints?

Sorry for the essay.

brightmount

Visit site
Well I can tell you what has worked for my horse, which is a combination of Pernamax Equine from maxavita and Corta-Flx, the cheaper US version of Cortaflex.

I get Corta-Flx from Equiteric on ebay on the recommendation of someone on here a while back. If you watch their auction listings you will pick it up a lot cheaper than their Buy It Now listings. For example I recently got 4 bottles that cost around £60 in all, including postage (in fact most of it was postage!). I will probably regret giving my bidding secret away dammit, but both these products have helped my horse and I hope they could help yours too.

By the way, if Pernamax is going to work for you, you will tell very quickly from the first pot, so it doesn't cost a lot to give it a go.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
My horse has just been diagnosed with degenerative joint disease in 2 legs. Vet is coming this pm to do nerve blocks and x-rays so we can see how bad it is. I understand your worry - I'm devastated. He's only 12 so didn't expect this yet.
When the vet saw him last week he was talking about a range of treatments from joint suppliments to cortisone injections, depending on how bad it is. I'll be asking him about the best ways of dealing with it, so will let you know what he says.
Whatever you horse has, I hope he feels better and is home with you soon.

fairhill

Visit site
First of all, here's some (((hugs))). Having just gone through a similar worry with Chloe where she was very nearly written off, I can sympathise.

Was it a bog spavin that the vet found on his back leg?
Chloe has one, and from that her recent lameness was diagnosed as arthritis. It's unfortunately very common in heavy horses to have arthritis in their hocks.

It sounds to me like you're doing all you can for your boy with regard to his joints, there's nothing I can suggest that you aren't already using or doing
crazy.gif

Hope you get some good news from the vet later xx

aran

community.webshots.com
the lump on the inside of the back leg could be the typical lump they get with bone spavin (which is arthritis of the distal intertarsal joint or/and the tarsometatarsal joint in the hock). Bone spavin is fine once the joints have fused. You can give steroid or HA injections which can help in the short time - however in the long term you need the joints to fuse. This can occur naturally or they can do chemical or surgical arthrodesis to encourage fusion.

The most important thing is to sort out the infection. Aran had his operation at the royal veterinary college and they were very good with him.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Thanks everyone, you have made me feel better. I don't think spavins were mentioned, but can't be 100% sure. Still waiting to hear from vet, but will let you all know when I do.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Firstly big hugs to Max - when he is back Andy and I will come and see him as he is such a lovely boy.

Cairo has the same problem with his front legs. As you know Mr C has his magnet straps - he went without them whilst having cancer treatment and whilst not truely lame, looks like he is a bit sore on his feet. Have put them back on and he is improving.

I also find instant linseed has worked very well for joints and stiffness along with cort-flx which I get from the US. Plenty of regular gentle exercise, avoid doing too much on hard ground, I use the school to do more than a walk in summer.

The injections can work very well - my friend's old shire x had them and they really worked for her. She also has a danilon a day to keep her comfortable and sound.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Vet has just phoned. Results have come back and there is no infection in the joint. He has started Mac on bute to try and reduce the swelling, and this afternoon he is going to xray the hock. All being well, he can come home tomorrow.