Arthritis in welsh d

NooNoo59

Visit site
Hi boy is just 8 looked after never overworked saddle and physio and teeth all up to date. Went lame on Sunday vet today lame in 2 legs right fire and left hind. Poss arthritis or suspensory. I am gobsmacked where has this come from? Always been sound. Anyone got any advice or good vibes?

Reacher

Visit site
Sorry your horse is lame , I think more info is needed? Has the vet done xrays / nerve blocks / lameness workup to diagnose exactly what the issue is?
How is the hoof balance?

NooNoo59

Visit site
Sorry your horse is lame , I think more info is needed? Has the vet done xrays / nerve blocks / lameness workup to diagnose exactly what the issue is?
How is the hoof balance?
Nerve block the stifle yesterday slight improvement but still lame coming back next week to do the hock and the fore fetlock

Birker2020

Visit site
The ground is really hard at the moment, least it is by us so your horse may have jarred himself running around in the field and the lameness is now becoming apparent. Lots of horses have arthritis and fortunately there is plenty of treatment available.

I think you will know more next week when the vet has nerve blocked the hocks and fetlock. In the meantime try not to worry too much.

NooNoo59

Visit site
The ground is really hard at the moment, least it is by us so your horse may have jarred himself running around in the field and the lameness is now becoming apparent. Lots of horses have arthritis and fortunately there is plenty of treatment available.

I think you will know more next week when the vet has nerve blocked the hocks and fetlock. In the meantime try not to worry too much.
Yes these are my thoughts having lost the last one to coffin joint arthritis it is hard not to worry but this boy is younger and hopefully we have caught it early

NooNoo59

Visit site
So the vet been back today much improved after hocks blocked out so xrays next week. So next question is success stories please!

NooNoo59

Visit site
Also advice on work load if and when injections work. Currently we school 3 times a week on good surface and then hacking 2 to 3 times a week. Want to do some low level dressage and local showing eventually

dorsetladette

Visit site
My 19yr old welsh D had steriod injections in both hocks for the first time about 3 weeks ago. He's still not 100% sound. Vet back in 2 weeks to check on progress. Physio due a few days before as muscles in thighs are really tender. He is better and happier but still not right. X

NooNoo59

Visit site
Update arthramid injected into both hocks, also after xraying the off side fore it shows that the side bone is fratured from an old trauma so that has been injected too as the coffin joint is showing changes. Now in week 4 and have been hand walking on the roads and long reining in the school, had a sit on and feels good in walk, so had a trot on Monday felt great on one rein and absolutely awful on the other. Any thoughts?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Update arthramid injected into both hocks, also after xraying the off side fore it shows that the side bone is fratured from an old trauma so that has been injected too as the coffin joint is showing changes. Now in week 4 and have been hand walking on the roads and long reining in the school, had a sit on and feels good in walk, so had a trot on Monday felt great on one rein and absolutely awful on the other. Any thoughts?
It sounds like he's made some progress and has improved.
Mine is 2 weeks post steroid injections into hocks and has made some progress , like you he feels better on one rein.
He will have back pain from the hocks so I'd engage a good physio to help with that.

NooNoo59

Visit site
It sounds like he's made some progress and has improved.
Mine is 2 weeks post steroid injections into hocks and has made some progress , like you he feels better on one rein.
He will have back pain from the hocks so I'd engage a good physio to help with that.
Physio is booked for early July and saddler as he has put on weight. The trot frightened me as he felt worse than he did before the jabs!

Zoeypxo

Visit site
My horse had arthramid 20th May, still lame.
Hoping to see the improvements between wk 4-6. Ive seen alot of people saying there horses took 8-10 weeks so i think its just being patient and trusting the process. I am only doing groundwork currently until she is better.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Physio is booked for early July and saddler as he has put on weight. The trot frightened me as he felt worse than he did before the jabs!
I would just stick to walk for now unless vet has said otherwise. Although if you think he's more lame than before then it's worth getting the vet out as there might be something else going on.

sunleychops

Visit site
So mine went lame behind, 5/10 on the lunge, about 3 weeks ago. vet came out and suspected hock OA so booked him in for xrays and injections if necessary. Fast forward 10 days and we arrive at the vets and he trots up perfectly sound, nothing on flexion, in fact they videoed him on the lunge for a social media post as "thats exactly how a horse should look on the lunge"

So yeah, could have just jarred or tweaked himself in the field.

NooNoo59

Visit site
So mine went lame behind, 5/10 on the lunge, about 3 weeks ago. vet came out and suspected hock OA so booked him in for xrays and injections if necessary. Fast forward 10 days and we arrive at the vets and he trots up perfectly sound, nothing on flexion, in fact they videoed him on the lunge for a social media post as "thats exactly how a horse should look on the lunge"

So yeah, could have just jarred or tweaked himself in the field.
XRays dont show anything in the hocks but he was reactive to blocking so the vets advise was to inject. Fore defo had changes