Arthritis/spavin/pain relief

noblesteed

Visit site
Hi all,
My 16 yo gelding has spavin, x-rayed and injected both hocks 2 years ago then injections again 6 months later. Then in spring this year he wrecked his annular ligament so had to have box rest, op etc. Annular ligament cut in hind fetlock and tendon sheath tenoscopy. He's 7 weeks into ridden rehab and fitness is coming back really well. Hacking out on roads which have undulating hills and we are up to an hour about 3 times a week, with plenty of short trotting bursts. He's FULL of beans and very keen!
Anyway now we are up to an hour and tackling steeper hills we are having trouble. Not with going up the hills but with coming DOWN. TOday horse had such a paddy about going downhill he stopped and turned around and refused to move. He's a nappy git at times but that says to me he is in pain. He then started snatching at the bit to stretch down and forwards, and wanting to trot. I mean violently snatching as well!

So I assume the pain will be in his hocks from the spavin and not the fetlock. I gave him half a bute to ease the pain and turned him out.
The vet has said he can come and inject the hocks again whenever I want. However come january I can only ride once a week so it seems pointless having the injections now - vet and I agreed to wait until March when I will be able to ride more again.

He's on turmeric but I want to try something stronger but natural - devil's claw? No bute? What might work to give him a bit of relief?
Failing that he'll have to have the injections asap.

Tobiano

Visit site
Is there a reason your horse cannot have bute? My Harry is 14 and has been on bute since he was about 10, due to hock spavins. He is comfortable, the vet is happy with him, it seems to suit us to do that. He is on between 1 and 2 a day depending on his level of work.

Auslander

Visit site
I've got mine on Audevard Harpagyl - which is working an absolute treat on his stiff hocks. He was already on a good joint supp, and feeling very good, but when the weather started to turn, I felt he needed a bit of extra support, and my vet really rates it. It's harpagophytum, sameas Devils Claw, but I've used that in the past and not noticed a difference, whereas the Harpagyl has definitely given him his springs back!

Merlod

Visit site
Premierflex plus. Has devil's claw in and has given my old boy a new lease of life. I've tried loads of joint supplements over the years but never been happy enough with one to recommend. My boy has annular ligament and damage to the manica flexoria as well as spavins! He is retired but he's gone from plodding around to galloping and bucking since changing to this supplement :)

Bertolie

Visit site
My last horse had bilateral hock arthritis and used to struggle down hill and one thing I found really helped was herbs4mobility from Progressive Earth on ebay. I gave him 50g a day infused with boiling water then added to his feed. He loved it! It's a mixture of devil's claw root, meadowsweet, celery seed, clivers and nettle.