arthritis supplement help

my bfg

Visit site
Hi my 9yo spaniel x lab x collie has been diagnosed with arthritis in his hips and near fore, I want to start him on a joint supplement asap but as he and little dog eat together and share their meals I would prefer a tablet/capsule I can give to him so I know he's had his daily dose, can anyone recommend one from personal use? X

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I give my old JRT tumeric. We rescued her a few years back and she was seriously overweight, so much so that she'd had surgery on her back legs :eek3:

She's about 12 or 13 now and I noticed a few months ago that she'd take a few attempts to get up on the sofa. I make some paste up and she's been on it for about 3 weeks now. She now jumps up into the sofa without even thinking. I give her half a teaspoon in her lunch.

paulineh

Visit site
I have tried several ones and find that the "Yumove" is very good. Easy to give as a tablet. I also put some Turmeric , Black Pepper and some Olive Oil in some milk and he drinks it with glee.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Turmeric. Cooked with freshly ground black pepper and coconut or olive oil. Half turmeric to water. My lot all get it. The tablets aren't suitable apparently. due to the concentration of the active ingredient (curcumin). I make up a massive batch for them and me. Little dog could share whatever the arthritic dog gets as a preventative.

Alternatively, Yumove. I use green lipped mussel capsules, the human version and salmon oil. Don't give cod liver oil, it's high in Vitamin A which stores in the dog's liver and can damage it.

I keep my hip dysplastic dog very lean and swim him when I can. He's very muscly which supports the joints. I'm told that walking up slopes/hills helps build muscle, like horses, I guess, plus walking through sand is helpful. Do you have an arena or beach you could take him to?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
could someone advise where to get the turmeric that you use? I am under the impression that turmeric from the grocery store isn't suitable. And what quantities? thanks

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Turmeric in bulk: Valleyview website is cheapest and the right concentration. Eastend brand available in supermarkets. One cup turmeric, 2 cups water, stir til paste like over heat. Add half cup oil, dessertspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add more water if it isn't cake mixture consistency. Add cinammon (the real stuff, not the cassia pretend stuff from the baking section!) to eliminate the cat pee smell.

Join the Turmeric User Group on Facebook, there's help in the files, just read them thoroughly before asking as there have been people shot down in flames recently for asking innocent questions. The admins can be tetchy!

3Beasties

Visit site
2 cups water, stir til paste like over heat. Add half cup oil, dessertspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add more water if it isn't cake mixture consistency. Add cinammon (the real stuff, not the cassia pretend stuff from the baking section!) to eliminate the cat pee smell.

How do you store/use it when made like that? What oil do you use?

Charlie007

Visit site
I have just started my 10yo jrt on yumove and have noticed a great improvement. A friend has also got his newly diagnosed staff on it and he has also noticed a difference.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
How do you store/use it when made like that? What oil do you use?

Linseed, coconut oil, olive oil, cold pressed and organic are meant to be best, but I use cheapo coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature) and have had excellent results. I make double the amount which fits into a big yoghurt pot with a sealable lid, stays fresh in the fridge for two weeks. Dogs have 2 teaspoons a day in food, I have 2 downed with tomato juice. It doesn't taste good! You can cook with it, lots of recipes on the Turmeric User Group FB.

Some people make treats for dogs/horses. I feed the horse powder, a linseed oil supplement and after lots of resistance, he now eats it.

3Beasties

Visit site
Linseed, coconut oil, olive oil, cold pressed and organic are meant to be best, but I use cheapo coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature) and have had excellent results. I make double the amount which fits into a big yoghurt pot with a sealable lid, stays fresh in the fridge for two weeks. Dogs have 2 teaspoons a day in food, I have 2 downed with tomato juice. It doesn't taste good! You can cook with it, lots of recipes on the Turmeric User Group FB.

Some people make treats for dogs/horses. I feed the horse powder, a linseed oil supplement and after lots of resistance, he now eats it.

Thank you, that's really useful. I have been thinking about putting my lab on it as he is showing signs of arthritis already :( He is 40kg, would the same quantity (2 teaspoons) apply?

Meems

Visit site
I have just started my 10yo jrt on yumove and have noticed a great improvement. A friend has also got his newly diagnosed staff on it and he has also noticed a difference.

I sent off for a trial pack for my little Yorkie but was dismayed to find out how big they are. She is a really fussy eater and no way would eat one willingly and they are too big to fit into the pill dispenser thing I normally use. So I tried cutting it in half and it just fell to pieces. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get it into her. Will have to get my thinking cap on!