Arthroscopy for stifle lameness - stories/advice please

Tash88

Visit site
Hi - I posted a few weeks ago about my horse who was negatively affected by eating grass and backwards thinking. He passed a five stage vetting when I bought him just over a year ago and his improved loads since then with having back/teeth/saddle etc. sorted and some over the counter ulcer supplement (protexin and slippery elm, and later on equinox), but I always thought there was more improvement that could be made.

So last Friday I had him scoped and he has grade three ulcers, started straight away on omeprazole and sulcrafate, and he seems to be a happier horse already. Today he had a full lameness work up and nerve blocks showed that he is lame in both stifles, right worse (4/10) on flexion and on the lunge. He was ok before the flexion.

The vet has advised that I go down the arthroscopy route, which I think is the best option as it is an investigation and potential surgery at the same time. I can afford it (using insurance) and would rather do this than medicate, he is only eight and was only backed two years ago, so he is low mileage. It's only been since I've wanted to do more with him (having worked on his fitness and schooling) the issues have really revealed themselves.

So I am looking for arthroscopy stories - hopefully more good than bad, as the only person I know who has had it done was about 20 years ago and things may be different now. In particular, what was the aftercare like and what was the prognosis for horses in a similar situation to mine?

Many thanks in advance,

Tash x

Abi90

Visit site
Has your horse been x-rayed and had ultra sound? Do they have any idea what is going on in there or do they want the arthroscopy to investigate? I only ask as it will affect the outcome and what people say.

I know of 2 horses who had OCD and had arthroscopies done and both went back into full work. One even competing at eventing. My horse has stifle issues from growing too fast but only had steroid injections and is now back in full work and fine

Tash88

Visit site
Thank you for the message Abi.

The vet was reluctant to x ray and ultrasound because they are limited in what they can show, so she suggested going straight to arthroscopy.

I'd be interested to know how this could affect the outcome. I've only spoken to the vet on the phone today as I couldn't get the time off work and my yard owner was pressuring me to have the work up done this morning (that's another thread), and I think she is going back now to do an x ray and doing something else next Thursday when he has his next omeprazole.

Abi90

Visit site
I meant if you know what is going on in there then people can relate to the experience more.

For example OCD will have a different prognosis to soft tissue damage etc.

Sounds a very similar situation to what I was in. The ulcers cleared up once the stifles settled down

Tash88

Visit site
I meant if you know what is going on in there then people can relate to the experience more.

For example OCD will have a different prognosis to soft tissue damage etc.

I see what you mean. I think it is more likely to be OCD than soft tissue damage as it hasn't come on suddenly.

Pleased to hear your positive outcomes - I guess if the arthroscopy doesn't show anything my horse could have an injection instead, then if there is something there it can be dealt with at the time.

SusieT

Visit site
I am surprised they are not even going to x-ray- if there is Arthritis there an arthoscope may not make much difference. I would get a second opinion before going for surgery- bearing in mind any surgery can be fatal you'd like to do all the 'easy' diagnostics first.

Tash88

Visit site
I need to speak to the vet again but I think he is having some more tests done next Thursday and had more done this afternoon; he isn't booked into the hospital yet.

willowblack

Visit site
Unfortunately me!!! I’ve been there and got that damn T-shirt 🤣🤣 my boy is now 10 and had surgery at Hirds in Halifax as an 8 year old.

I have a positive outcome story as he is now in work and his prognosis was pretty horrific!

I will try and message you because the full story is like war and peace 🤣

Tash88

Visit site
I am surprised they are not even going to x-ray- if there is Arthritis there an arthoscope may not make much difference. I would get a second opinion before going for surgery- bearing in mind any surgery can be fatal you'd like to do all the 'easy' diagnostics first.

He is going to have the x rays done at the hospital before the surgery (if they decide he needs it).

I was advised that the stifle is a difficult joint to x ray (particularly as my horse is a chunkier type), but figured that the hospital would want to re-x ray him again regardless so there is no point in paying for it twice, so may as well get it all done there.